5.0 out of 5 stars Eloquent and persuasive Schubert recital, 27 Oct 2010
Philoctetes (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Schubert: Abendbilder (Audio CD)
Lieder listening can provoke an anxiety akin to that afflicting wine drinkers; we all enjoy quaffing the vino, but what happens when you're confronted by some oenophile who starts analysing the structure and looking for hints of myrtle and drowned pigeon? Who dismisses your favourite economy red as jug wine for peasants. There are people who will listen to a lieder recital with all the microscopic attention to detail of a forensic scientist, then dismiss the latest pretender as no match for DFD.

What I'm getting at is that art songs give me pleasure, stir emotions, but the genre causes me more anxiety than any other form of classical music. So let me just say that I know this album has had excellent reviews in professional publications, but what drew me to it was hearing Gerhaher sing Mahler at the Proms, where he was completely persuasive. I thought his baritone very dramatic but very beatiful in the upper register. So I recommend this album to you as one that makes capital of what I take to be among the lesser known of Schubert's many many songs. It should therefore fit in with other recitals you may already own.

The lack of catalogue numbers for the songs is annoying but the liner notes are still very good and the translations included. Very important information that you won't get with a download, so buy the CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle Schubert, 22 Feb 2011
Kate Hopkins (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Schubert: Abendbilder (Audio CD)
A wonderful performance by one of the world's best Lieder singers today, including some well-known gems of the Lieder repertory and some lesser-known treasures. Listen to this if you want to study good singing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct 2014
Excellent

Schubert: Abendbilder
Schubert: Abendbilder by Christian Gerhaher (Audio CD - 2006)