Size: 1|Style Name: Calligraphy|Change

on 8 May 2013
I knew this pen already as I had one many years ago and now, taking calligraphy more seriously, I was kindly surprised at finding this product still on the market. I bought it immediately without hesitation and with three nibs I've got the right tools for sure.
It writes well, it's comfortable and looks nice.
on 10 June 2011
Great for sketching on a large scale. Only problem is the nib isn't as fine as you might think, nowhere near as fine as a 0.18 rapidograph. However, it is possible to draw a thinner line by using the nib upside down, this works okay but they really should try and make a finer nib. For really finescale work I wouldn't use this pen on any paper smaller than A2
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2013
I am a bit of a pen geek and probably have ten times more pens than most (normal) people.

I've been doing calligraphy on and off for about 30 years and have tried a few different pens, but usually I've gone for the mid level calligraphy sets, where you get three nibs and a pen for about £15-£25. I had the old Osmiroid pens (no longer available in UK), and a few Sheaffer sets and I also currently use Cross, Waterman and Lamy fountain pens. I never really noticed that calligraphy pens could be bought for a lot more money, so I thought it was about time to splash out and try something a bit more expensive and see whether the extra few pounds would give me a noticeably better pen.

I was blown away when I put this pen to paper.

The casing of the pen is cheap and plastic, but what it lacks in external build quality it more than makes up for with internal performance, i.e. you're not paying for a fancy casing, you're paying for a pen that gives excellent strokes.

The nib is stainless steel and incredibly smooth. It is in fact one of the smoothest ink pens I've ever written with. Within a few minutes I was able to achieve levels of style and fluidity that had eluded me all these years. I didn't want to put the pen down, and kept wanting to try more and more styles and practice my flourishes, and the more I used it the better I got and the better I got the more I just wanted to keep on going...

I would highly recommend this pen
on 13 September 2014
Your have three different nibs and stocks and one barrel and three lids. The lids don't 'click' or screw onto the stocks you are not using and they don't fit back into the retainers once the lids are fitted hence once you have attacked your cartridges to the stocks the nibs are open as the lids keep coming off. Annoying. The cartridges as very small, no more than 1.5 inches in length. That said the nibs are a good quality and glide across the paper and for someone who doesn't want to keep stopping and loading the nib with ink this works as means I can keep practising to the end of the letter or word. A good start for a novice in calligraphy or just for plain writing. I have bought to art pen filler adapter to allow me to use other bottled inks. The quality and performance are good.
on 9 December 2012
Good balanced feel when holding the pen - and smooth ink flow. Note that the ink cartridges that come with the pen use water soluble ink - gives a good loose outcome after applying the wash.
on 22 November 2013
There is no doubt that this pen sketches beautifully. However, I do a lot of en plein air sketching in the countryside and it has let me down too often by simply drying up. I have reverted to my trusty Edding, DR and Geo College pens.
on 18 May 2013
The extra-fine nib on this pen is not as fine as the extra-fine nib on my vintage Artpen. The modern nib has more tipping above and below, and produces a wider line. The only way to get it to produce a line as fine as my vintage Artpen is to sketch with the nib upside-down. The nib is also slightly scratchy, and I hope that it will wear smooth in time, with use. Another observation is that the lid does not fit tight, and it is possible to rotate the lid manually around the barrel after it is fully clicked on, as it sits loose around the barrel. The lid on my vintage Artpen still snaps tight and secure after all these years (since the late-1980s). If you do not need a very fine line, I would still encourage you to buy this pen, as it is very useful for sketching outdoors, where it would be impractical to carry about a dip pen and ink. It is also useful for those 'of the moment' sketches indoors.
on 5 October 2009
Not the first Rotring art pen EF I have purchased but the first with this nib, and the first with the refillable syringe option. Arrived very promptly and just what I hoped for. Have used it to experiment with different sepia ink mixes and dilutions. Flow is very controllable. I shall buy a couple more soon so that I can have several inks loaded at once.
on 12 January 2014
This is a great set for anyone interested in Calligraphy, it is produced to the usual high standards of all Rotring products and includes everything needed for creative writing.

I do calligraphy as a hobby and have not found a better set of pens for the money .... Highly recommended.
on 7 December 2011
A really nicely balanced drawing pen that lets ink flow freely and allows a selection of line (thickness) to be developed. Great to have in your pocket the cartridges are small but the barrel is big enough to accomodate a 'spare' A good buy.