5.0 out of 5 stars always with a twist at the end!
Published on 13 Mar 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I remember
I was about 13 when this series first came on the telly and I used to really enjoy it.

The plots are much simpler than I remember, but as Roald Dhal explains, there's not much scope to pad the plot out in a 30 minute show. The acting is generally good (I think acting as a skill has sadly gone downhill over time rather than improved), and there are some well...
Published on 12 April 2006 by JWB

5.0 out of 5 stars always with a twist at the end!, 13 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Tales Of The Unexpected - The Complete First Series [DVD] (DVD)
Well worth the purchase, if you like thrillers, horror, suspense and a twist at the end this is well worth the purchase. Takes me back to a Sunday night at 10pm on ITV last thing I watched before going to bed and the weekend being over. On the episode the Landlady the episode has the old Anglia Knight logo and it will really take you back. Well packaged good information on the box.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent start to the series, 16 Feb 2009
I. R. Kerr (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Disc 1 - Man from the South / Mrs. Bixby and the Colonel's Coat / William and Mary / Lamb to the Slaughter / The Landlady / Neck.
Disc 2 - Edward the Conqueror / A Dip in the Pool / The Way up to Heaven.

The main highlights for me were the last 3 stories of disc 1 and a Dip in the Pool from disc 2.
Things have changed a lot since 1979 and shock-endings are now expected in every story but a few of these televised tales of Roald Dahl still manage to raise a wry grin. They all have twists at the end, some like Mrs. Bixby and The Way up to Heaven knowingly telegraph the endings; the classic tale Lamb to the Slaughter is told in a series of flashbacks so we know what happened as the police search for the weapon.
A few tales like The Landlady and Neck still manage to build up the suspense quite well, the Landlady has a suitably creepy ending that is still quite effective.
Not all the tales hit the mark but Dahl's black humour is shown to good effect in most of these tales, I especially liked the dark ending of A Dip in the Pool.
Not the best collection any any means but it has some pretty good moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story telling will always be great., 29 May 2007
At the time of writing I have been watching this on ITV3 on Freeview and absolutely loving it. As a kid in the 80's I occasionaly used to watch it last thing on a sunday night at my nan nans and remember finding it a little bit creepy in a strange sort of way. It has a good mixture of crime, comedy and just complete weirdness. Some episodes are dark and some uplifting but always with some kind of twist at the end.

Apart from being a little dated the stories are just as enjoyable and far more imaginative than most of what is on T.V. these days and that for me will always be the most important thing in a programme however old or new. For some reason and I am not sure why but there always seems to be an American featured in it (not that it matters but I have just become curious as to why this is).

Anyway, if like me you love programmes similar to this for example Alfred Hitchcock Presents, The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits etc., then I would definitely recommend that you give this a chance if you have never seen it before. As with all these type of programmes there will probably be some episodes that you like less than others, but overall there is something for everyone.

At the time of writing I haven't got any of these boxsets so I can't judge the picture quality but trust that it is at least as good as the ones that have been shown on ITV3 and so I will definitely be buying them eventually.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definately Unexpected, 23 Sep 2008
S. C. Johnson - See all my reviews
Having recently really enjoyed some repeats of these on ITV3 I was compelled to see if they were available on DVD to collect. The reason being that they are just as enjoyable time and time again, due to the short tales with clever twists at the end. I opted for the first series as I could relate to those episodes I enjoyed watching on ITV3, by recognising characters on the DVD cover. This might be a tip for anyone else deciding which series to buy.

This series features 9 tales, 4 of which I really like, 2 I think are OK and 3 I'm not keen on. As with most things different people will enjoy different episodes. However, if you enjoyed watching first time around in the early 1980s I'm sure you won't be disappointed. These episodes can be watched over and over again quite easily. I enjoyed this series so much I am about to consider buying another series, after reading other people's reviews.

This series has some familiar faces in, such as Emmerdale cast, Brian Blessed (the big guy with the beard from Flash Gordon), Joan Collins, Gail's psycho husband from Coronation Street, whom some of you will also remember as a teacher from Grange Hill, and Julie Harris, who I remember in the black and white version of the film "The Haunting".

Those episodes I recommend are "Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat", The Landlady", "Lamb to the Slaughter" and "The way up to heaven". Enjoy watching as I do regularly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable set, 28 April 2011
I brought this set plus series 2, 3 and 4 as I have found TV today to be excruciating.
Tales Of The Unexpected is a interesting series with great stories and plots.
I enjoy the introductions by Dahl and find him to be a very intelligent man.
This is a very well produced series and hope 2, 3 & 4 will also live up to series 1 has as I play these DVDs for the first time.

I highly recommend this set if you enjoy short stories with a good plot and a few twists.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Landlady, 24 Jun 2008
This episode makes this DVD well worth buying. I was 29 when this came out and I still had chills months after this broadcast. The play shows very well, how loneliness can drive one insanely to an extreme, unspeakable deed. I saw a re-run of it on ITV3 a little while ago, expecting to have become chill-proofed. Nope! It is still very chilling!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales of the unexpected, 5 April 2014
Katarina Bates (Leicester UK) - See all my reviews
I love these stories, not too scary but a brilliant twist at the end! The creepiest bit is the intro music!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 3 April 2014
I bought these to add to my collection of tales of the unexpected. They are really good and I would highly recommend that you buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tales Of The Unexpected - The Complete First Series [DVD], 10 Dec 2013
Bought as a present, by request. I certainly enjoyed these tales when on television, and hope my recipient did too. On time delivery, no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perverse Imagination, 25 July 2013
Pieter Stok (Geelong, Australia) - See all my reviews
The perverse imagination of Roald Dahl is always a treat. This first series showcases his talents and should be a delight for anyone who likes a quirky story, well told. The sets and clothes are clearly dated but the stories aren't.

Tales Of The Unexpected - The Complete First Series [DVD]