on 1 June 2008
I have been using this battery for the last 6 months. What a performer every bit as good as the real thing and a fraction of the price. I have tried copies before with very limited sucess but this one fantastic holds its charge really well and just keeps on delivering. Take 50-200 raw images put away for 2/3 weeks take it out do the same thing again and again a full charge lasts for about 1000+ raw images spread out over 8-10 weeks.
You can get half a dozen of these for the price of a true canon NB-2L but one is all you need.
33 comments29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2008
Not much you can say about a power cell unless you discover your purchase is a dud.
What you want to know is that this performs every bit as well as the "real" thing. I am running a 350D set up and this drives the shutter, motor function (sport mode) as well as integral flash (rarely used apart from this test) easily. My testing used AF just to increase the drain, handled with consummate ease. Recharge cycle in sport mode is excellent and will allow shooting up to the max frames per second spec of the body
Hooked to the mains charges to full in under an hour approx same time as my original. Capacity easy enough to match the originals shooting capacity in RAW mode. I have now recharged sufficently to note there are no "memory" or "dry out" effects in extended use. This is a durable as well as effective solution.
For what I was going to spend on spare batteries, I am now going to save the difference by buying these and use this towards the supplemental battery grip.
Yep folks it's safe to proceed, this one is no lemon.
on 16 January 2010
I bought two of these compatible batteries for my Canon 400D when one of my Canon own brand batteries died after three years of use.

I fully charged up both batteries using my Canon charger and both appeared to work.

After just one days use I thought I would top up the charge on the new battery only to see it fail in the charger - instead of the charger light starting orange whilst charging and turning green when fully charged, the charger light started orange but then went out. This indicates a battery failure. Sure enough, the battery was completely dead when I put it back in the camera.

The other battery recharged and worked OK.

I wasn't happy so contacted the supplier (Jinny at Star e-shop) and she immediately offered a full refund on both batteries.

So - disappointed with the batteries but excellent service from the supplier.
on 11 May 2013
I use my Canon 350D for general photography and astro-imaging, this latter role puts a high demand on batteries (1-2 minute shutter times plus a further 1-2 minutes on board noise reduction) so I bought two of these to supplement the two ageing OEM batteries I already own to increase my imaging time, this has only been a partial success.

First off my camera uses NB-2LH batteries these are NB-2Ls, this was OK with me as the two types are interchangeable, it's just that the 2L is lower capacity (600MAh compared to 720MAh) to be fair to the seller the advert says 600MAh so no real issue, a charged 2L beats a dead 2LH any day of the week!

The two batteries I ordered were shipped quickly and arrived fully charged, several days later we had a clear night and they did almost as good a job as my 7 year old OEMs, not unexpected as they are lower capacity. I'm fairly sure both recharged and were ready for night 2 and worked again. At this point one of the batteries failed, it spent a few hours on charge but refused to register as charged and wouldn't operate the camera, so far battery no 2 has charged and still seems to work but what is currently a 50% failure rate after 2 uses does not fill me with confidence as to the life battery no 2.

To be fair to the seller their communication over this has been excellent and they have offered a replacement / refund so I have no complaints about them and would happily buy from them again. However, the build quality of these batteries has let them down, I guess this is why the few new NB-2LHs still on the market cost more than my camera is worth!

If you are going to buy one of these make sure you put it to immediate use on a couple of non-critical sessions before relying on it. As per another reviewers comments if they survive an initial couple of charge cycles they will probably be OK, personally I don't really trust the one remaining battery and I really don't want to travel all the way to a dark site and set-up only to find I'm missing part of my anticipated imaging time and have to re-plan my shoot. Rather than using these "New" batteries I have now sourced used OEM batteries from a well known on line auction site.
on 4 December 2009
Battery charged up with no problems and when I used it the first time it worked fine. I left it in the camera (with it switched off) still with full charge indicated and came to use it about 10 days later and it was completely dead. I know it was a fraction of the original battery but it's not a lot of use to me now because out in the field I won't know whether it's going to work or not.
on 4 June 2011
Purchased 2 of these as backups for my Canon battery as I was attending an event where battery failure wasn't an option.

Unfortunately, I discovered (through use) that they only work with Canon branded lenses. I have an EOS 400D, Canon 28-80 and a Sigma 75-300. When using the Canon lens, the batteries were great, with a long life. However, when I used my Sigma lens, the batteries both allowed 1 photo to be taken, then froze and demanded a new battery was inserted.

Fortunately, a friend had a spare Canon battery and loaned me this, which worked perfectly.

In summary - if you have Canon branded goods, this is a great alternative and great value. However, if you wish to use non-Canon branded lenses, steer clear - complete waste of money.
11 comment4 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 January 2010
I had a few misgivings about the battery when it was delivered; I thought from the advert it was going to be a Duracell. However, it seems to perform as well as the Canon NB-2LH battery. It copes well with the demands of a power hungry image stabiliser on my Sigma lens and with the large RAW image files. Well worth having.
on 5 September 2012
Bought the battery as a back up ready for a long trip. Slipped the Battery into my Cannon G9 camera and the camera seems to have shorted immediately. It wont start with either the new or old battery. So it looks like the Camera is trashed - absolute nightmare though the one star is for a prompt delivery!

Later update - after initial upsets battery and camera are working so have upped the score somewhat
on 13 January 2010
I bought this battery in May 2009, and then embarked on a 6 month trip to several destinations around the world. It has been a solid performer the whole way through. I ended up taking about 20 gigabytes worth of photos, so it's had fairly heavy usage.

It is a superb spare battery, and at a very affordable price (particularly in comparison to Canon's official battery). I have found no faults or problems, and it keeps it's charge just as well as the Canon battery, as far as I can tell. I certainly didn't notice any difference in performance. I would highly recommend this product.
on 19 September 2012
Charged once, in the Canon charger that came with my EOS D400. The second time, the charger red light went on for about five seconds, then went out - phutt! I suspect that the excellent company Duracell know nothing of this inferior product.