5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable and fun action film

Published on 6 Oct 2007 by M. A. Ramos

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable and fun action film, 6 Oct 2009
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Something has gone horribly amiss at the scientific settlement of Olduvai on the planet of Mars, and a panicked Dr Carmack (named after the co-founder of ID Software, which released the game) calls for assistance. Cue the Sarge (Dwayne Johnson, former WWE wrestler "The Rock", The Scorpion King) and his men - a Special Forces team, the RRTS (Rapid Response Tactical Squad), who are dispatched via the transport system called the "arc" to place the site under quarantine and find out what is going on. When they arrive at the settlement they discover more of a problem than they expected.

One of the RRTS team has previous experience of Olduvai - his parents were killed on an archaeological dig and his twin sister, Sam (Rosamund Pike), who followed their footsteps, is working on Olduvai. John Grimm known as "Reaper" (Karl Urban - Out Of The Blue, Bones in Star Trek XI and Eomer in the The Lord of the Rings Trilogy) is apprehensive about going back.

People tend to fall into one of two camps where this film is concerned - you are either a fan of the games or you haven't seen/played the games.

I came to this film without knowing about the video games (in all honesty I'd never heard of the games prior to getting the film), so I came with an open mind and I enjoyed the film for what it is - an action flick with zombies thrown in. The basic story is set up in the first 10-15 minutes after that you simply hang on and watch the action.

Not having played the games before I watched the film I did not understand the problem with the demons (or lack of them), yet there is a nod to them in various places throughout the film. Nor did I understand the First Person Shooter scene towards the end of the film. Since watching the film I have purchased the games Doom - Collector's Edition (PC CD) and Doom 3 (PC) and have started playing (well, I'm trying) and I now understand the disappointment - but it doesn't stop this being a great action film.

On the first few viewings I didn't get the First Person Shooter sequence near the end of the film, since I have started playing the games I now get it and actually jump when some of the monsters appear. For gamers it includes the Big Force Gun (BFG).

There are extras (basic training, rock formation, master monster makers, first person shooter sequence, doom nation and game on). There are also subtitles - I know from personal experience that subtitles tend to contain an edited text of what is spoken. These subtitles, however, contain out-and-out errors - for example: "on you Duke" becomes "funny Duke" (which makes no sense in the scene); "airway's clear" becomes "now he's clear"; and so on - a friend of mine does subtitling and tells me that they get a copy of the script to work from, so there is no excuse for errors like these.

If you are into film errors I spotted a couple: one error happens when they are trying to resuscitate one of their team the heart monitor is bleeping and then goes flat line - only then do they put the chest lead connectors on the patient (but still don't connect the leads); I've yet to meet a sergeant/serjeant that will accept being called "sir"; and us marines never call each other soldier.

I tend to refer to this as Resident Evil in space. It's one of those films which can be watched without too much brain power. It is a great action film which I have enjoyed watching over and over again.

Is there any difference between the region one copy and the region two copy Doom (UK Extended Edition)? Frankly, no the film is identical and so are the extras.

PLEASE NOTE - you will need a region free dvd player to watch this as it is an embedded region one dvd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Action with a little suspense, 6 Oct 2007
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I never played the game, but watching this movie made me think this is how the game must look like on the screen. If you like The Movie Alien, you might like this. Some of the same feel to it. Moments of on the edge of your seat suspense before all out action. Seemed more like a made for TV movie or direct video. But it is still worth watching. If you are not a big fan of the game...rent it.

Doom [UMD Mini for PSP] [2005] [US Import]
Doom [UMD Mini for PSP] [2005] [US Import] by Andrzej Bartkowiak (UMD Mini for PSP - 2006)
14.98