Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 18 March 2014
I recall seeing this classic Japanese sci-fi movie on one of the local flea-pits(now long closed which is a shame). I found it very entertaining at the time. Years later, well 55 years later to be honest, I snapped up this copy because it was being sold at a good price and I was curious more than anything else since it had been such a long time since I had seen it.

I was not disappointed. Being a movie buff, I am easy to please, and being well aware of the times in which it was made, I knew the effects were no where near as good as they would be today. Nevertheless, the effects were very good for the times. The highlight of the movie for me was the appearance of the giant robot which set about flattening towns until being brought down by troops exploding a bridge. These scenes have to be seen to be believed! The rest of the movie is taken up with Japanese troops trying to destroy The Mysterians invasion of the earth, many scenes reminiscent of George Pal's version of War of The Worlds (still one of the best Sci-Fi's ever made in my view.) A very good entertaining movie, as long as you aren't too critical of the effects.
on 7 November 2015
A classic Japanese Science Fiction film from 1957. I remember seeing this film as youngster -- I was amazed at that time by the vivid colors and use of TohoScope. It is a fun film and an enjoyable trip back to the early days of classic SciFi movies, before CGI. Enjoy.
on 23 October 2014
A good purchase that arrived in perfect condition!
on 2 February 2015
The best of all the Japanese Sci-Fi movies.
on 1 February 2013
A classic of the 50's from the Japanese masters, as enjoyable as the Forbidden Planet and War of the Worlds.
on 14 June 2016
very good copy pity about the subtitles still loved it would use them again
on 3 October 2015
never seen since the 50s
on 29 May 2014
classic sci fi movie and fulfils my collocting needs BFI done a good job restoring this from the original elements.