Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 May 2008
I have always liked Nina Simone but have never before bought one of her albums. I've been put off by the amount of compilations and her varied output, both in quality and style. This one, however, is right on the button. I think anyone who enjoys the blues will enjoy this album. She sings with real sassiness, sometimes sexy, sometimes angry and bitter as in Backlash Blues which is a fantastic rant against racism. A real protest sing. 'You give me second class houses and second class schools, do you think that all coloured folk are just second class fools?'. As it says on the back of the sleeve, 'Nina Simone-with heart at all times. A great album.
on 9 July 2012
What more can I add to the hugely deserved accolades. Many of today's musicians, bands, singers, owe so much to this lady. She's up there with the greats - Sarah Vaughan and Ella Firzgerald and is a blend of their jazz feel and the vocal timbre of Della Reese. If this is not in your collection I urge you to add it as soon as possible - buy two copies for when you wear the first one out! You will...
I bought my second copy at a bargain price from Amazon.
on 22 April 2010
I love blues music and Nina Simone's fantastic voice. The combination of the two is beautiful. She plays the piano very well, too.

The opening track, "Do I move you" sets the mood immediately and is rightly given a second version towards the end of the album. If you think that a harmonica is a must for "proper" blues, you won't be disappointed by this album either. The blues tracks ("In the dark", "Mr. Backlash", "I want a little sugar in my bowl", "Since I fell for you", and the wonderful "Blues for mama") are the best in this album, though some of them veer towards jazz more than blues . There are also some political statements, as can be expected from the feisty Ms. Simone.

The style keeps shifting, though. Some tracks are more pop than blues (e.g., "Day and night"), others lean towards soul or even gospel ("Real,real", "Whatever I am" and an unusual version of "House of the rising sun"), and there is even a jazz standard of sorts (a beautiful rendition of "My man's gone now").

Regardless of style, all tracks benefit from Simone's effortless voice and the good musical backing.

A lovely album.
If you are going to own any Nina Simone album, please buy this.

It is one of the most sublime albums I have heard in years. Her vocals are tender, poignant, occasionally cutting - just gorgeous.

The choice of songs brings out the very best in her - when she is singing with just the piano accompanying, it is utterly haunting.

Sheer class!
on 4 August 2013
to me only a few can truly sing the blues and this woman is one of them, great feel and she does everything as if she has all the time in the world. great album
on 24 March 2014
I loved this CD. Wow what a voice I heard a radio programme about Nina Simone and after hearing her sing decided to buy this. No bad tracks
on 17 March 2014
I love the passion, the voice, the swing. Great singer and realy great album. A must have on any serious Jazz colection.
on 3 October 2011
No need to review this CD if you like Nima Simone and you like the Blues this is a deffinate for you. Nina is a superb singer with the same comitment to the fight of equality in the human race. The songs are sung which such feeling that you should lister to.
on 23 April 2011
Nina Simone Sings The Bluesnot what i expected, but very enjoyable on a Friday evening after a busy week at work. Making dinner with a glass of wine singing to my hearts content to the ones i know and learning the ones i didn't know the words to but had heard. For those that love the Blues this is a good one to listen to, try her popular songs The Very Best Ofto sing along to in the car, great on a sunny day. Berni
on 26 June 2010
nina sings the blues,yep this does what it says in the title;raw ,real blues,no hiding behind lush orchestrations,this is as earthy as you can get.no holds barred in this one, she gives it her all, especially in "my mans gone now".pow!