5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones
I've been using Sennheiser HD595 h/phones for a couple of years now but I
ordered these AUdio Technica ATH-AD700 phones after reading a positive review in HiFi News last October. Having just started to use them, they are extremely light on the head and very comfortable. The sound is spacious and detailed with good, tight bass, open midrange and a sweet
treble. I...
Published on 25 Sep 2008 by Rosound

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect!
Published on 7 Dec 2010 by Tom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Headphones, 25 Sep 2008
I've been using Sennheiser HD595 h/phones for a couple of years now but I
treble. I think they have the edge on the Sennheisers for comfort and sound quality and are 50 cheaper too. A wise buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Extra Detail, 26 July 2010
Bruce "from Brighton" (UK - England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I bought these after doing a lot of research in Magazines and Hi-Fi websites. They were recommended in several places and then I looked in shops in Tottenham Court Road to compare prices.

These headphones are no disppointment - at first they feel huge and the idea of surrounding your ears is a big novelty. It's like having a pair of speakers on your head - but they are incredibly light and feel luxurious!

I decided to test them with some of my favourite orchestral music and a few SACDs of Mahler symphonies. I was amazed at the details that appeared which I had not noticed before - even in hundreds of listenings!

I think live digital recordings of large orchestras is the best test as we are not talking about a producer's whims here - it has to sound like it does in the concert hall - and it does!

However, I don't listen exclusively to Classical music and I had just got a double CD of Grace Jones' Compass Point recordings - digitally re-mastered and these sound superb! Lack of bass - no way!! Sly and Robbie sounded huge in these headphones and the dub-style bass of Robbie was clear, but massive!

A big bonus of the CD was a lot of the 12" single remixes and the bass on these was earth-shattering - but with no lack of detail or distortion - subtle off-beat keyboards and percussion can be heard across the mix and all comes through loud and clear!

I think any prolonged headphone use gets wearing - but these are very comfortable and a joy to sit with and listen to long symphonies - can't recommend highly enough!

I know people pay huge prices for headphones - but these are a reasonable and worthwhile investment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Technica ATH AD700, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Audio-Technica ATH AD700 - Headphones ( ear-cup ) (Electronics)
I have been a headphone fun for quite a long time, having auditioned many pairs of cans from Grado SR60i to AKG 701s and Sennheiser HD 600 just to name some. I chose this particular pair for two reasons: they are excellent value for money and they are very comfortable for use (at least on my head).

The main aspect of their performance is musicality. The music seems to flow effortlessly through the cans creating a sense of being there. Middle are silky, highs are very extended and not grainy at all and bass is very tight, maybe not as deep as in the Sennheisers' but very palpable.

These cans have excellent soundstage which I appreciate a lot as I mainly listen to classical music. They excel at orchestral music, portraying a large holographic scene, but don't be mistaken that their merits end there. Keyboard music and small scale ensembles (classical and jazz) sound just as fine. In some very good piano recordings I own, I had the sense that the piano was actually present in my room (please note that I play the piano, so I know how it should sound like).

AD700's will benefit from a good recording, but they let you hear to moderate sound quality recordings without discomfort. They are also very easy to drive - I myself, many times connect them directly to my laptop and listen to music stored in my PC with very good results. That said they will really shine with a good headphone amp. The bass will grow deeper and faster, the soundstage more three-dimensional and the highs become much more airy. The midrange and speed benefit a lot too, offering even greater musicality.

Some points of attention. These cans are semi-open that means they leak sound. You will not be able to use them in the same room with others being present, except if you keep the volume down. They are also quite big, so no outdoors use. I have read reviews stating that they can't fit them in their heads. I have no problem whatsoever, my head size being a moderate one, but do try them before purchasing.

I don't mean to imply that there are no other contenders out there. There are many musically satisfying headphones that will offer you endless hours of musical satisfaction. If your tastes are different than mine maybe you will find others that will suit you even better for about the same price. But for my kind of music these are the best all around headphones for up to three times the price so they easily earn their five-star recommendation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarity and comfort. Just decided how you like your bass., 20 Dec 2010
Disclaimer; I would say I have a semi trained ear. I appreciate quality recordings, good bit rates and well made products. I am by no means an audiophile and my experiences using these have been through my PC with a fairly good sound card powering them. I have had previous PC headsets, Sennheiser, Plantronics and a number of in ear headphones but nothing in the same price range as these.

I apologise this is rather long, but I hope it provides other buyers with information.

Presentation
============

The packaging; slightly superfluous and probably not something you think about once the product is out of the box but I think it's all part of the experience. The packaging certainly didn't give me the same feeling as opening any of my Apple products. The headphones arrived in a rather plain, unassuming and thin cardboard box; much like the type your cereal might come in. Maybe it's some new eco packaging?! The outside was a little battered and I ripped the box slightly getting into it; It was safe to assume this wasn't a box I would be keeping.

The insides were fairly minimal, the headphones were placed on a molded plastic insert and contained a small manual and an headphone jack. If there was anything else in there I must have tried to block it from my memory. It would have been a nice touch to have received a carry case/bag with these, even if it was just a cheap linen bag or similar.

Construction
============

Lifting the headphones off the insert the first thing I noticed was the weight. They are surprisingly light, yet not so much that they feel cheap. This was a major concern for me as I've had headphones previously which I would have to take off periodically as they were attempting to reshape my head. I have found that I can wear these for considerable lengths of time without needing to take them off; normally the only time I do so is to let my ears relax for a bit, which I think is necessary with most headphones.

Not only are they light but they are well padded. What looks like a padded band in the product image is actually 2 flexible pads coming from the left and right cans. These don't connect in the middle as I expected, but rather flex to take the load of the headphones as you place them on your head. Apart from being unexpected, I find the design to be rather effective.

The earphones are well cushioned and covered in a rather nice velour material, I don't find it itchy and my ears aren't gasping for air or sweating profusely after extended use. There isn't too much pressure on my (rather large) head, they're relatively light, well cushioned and I don't feel my head is about implode either. The fact that the cans cover my ears is great; I have small ears but these things would easily accommodate a donkey.

Overall the headphones feel solid, the outer frame feels robust and I'm sure these will survive many an inevitable fall. The cable is thick, doesn't seem to tangle easily and is fairly long. The colour and materials are fairly neutral and will fit in with most schemes.

One gripe I did have with the outside (back) of the cans is that it is made from metal and feels slightly cheap. The metal has been perforated or cut to allow sound through but when you run your hand over it feels a little rough, almost jagged - but not to the point that it would cut you.

One last thing on the construction. I know that it's fashionable to wear big headphones outdoors again but these are just way to big, if anyone is currently having that idea I would skip over these straight away. Or alternatively, if you like looking uncool, these are for you!

Sound
=====

I've been listening to quite a lot of acoustic / live sets on these and the clarity has been brilliant. They sound very vibrant, the music is colourful and has a definite warmth. There is a sense of depth from these headphones that I'm not familiar with; The music feels like it has space to breath, instruments and vocals each have their own place but they don't ever sound hollow. This is not hyperbole, the sound stage is fantastic.

The bass seems to be a bit of a touchy point with some reviewers and it's definitely worth mentioning, but maybe not for the same reasons. Normally I listen to my music fairly loud and previous headphones have been fairly heavy on the bass. For the first week I was almost a little disappointed that they weren't producing more given their size. I enjoyed the clarity but missed the bass level I was accustomed to.

Since then I would say that they have somewhat converted the way I'm listening to music, the clarity is just superb and I've come to appreciate this greatly. It's not even that the bass is lacking, it is most definitely there, however it is not overwhelming and seems to be both controlled and precise. That said if you're a bass head and you really can't live without the punishment, I would suggest you consider an alternative.

Lastly, just to mention that these are open cans meaning sound will leak both ways. This isn't much of a problem for the person wearing them, but anyone else in the room will fairly quickly start giving you funny looks.

Overall
=======

Lost a star for packaging and outside of cans, neither of which would stop me from buying again knowing how good they are, but non the less had an impact on my first impression.

- A robust set of headphones.
- Light and comfortable.
- Great clarity and sound stage.
- Bass is refined and controlled, but may not be for everyone. (Bass heads)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a bargin, 12 Aug 2011
I purchased these to primarily listen to music through my usb Fiio headphone amplifier, when my family have retired to bed. Well after a thorough search on-line I decided these would be the ones. When they arrived I was immediately impressed as the packaging spoke of high quality. Of course you pay your hard earned cash for packaging so having extracted them and gulped at their sheer size I popped them on my head. There didn't seem to be any adjustments available for head-size.... this made me worry. But worry not they self adjust to your head and are extremely comfortable... even for extended sessions.... I quite often forget they're on. Now to the best bit..... The sound. What can I say.... they are truly the best sounding headphones I've owned (and I've owned some top speck Sennheissers). The music is very clear, musical and detailed. But it doesn't stop there.... watch BBCi and the vocal clarity is superb. These are Great head-phones at a real value price.... truely recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Review, 18 April 2011
Carl (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought these on the basis of other reviews and by comparing them to other headphones within the same price range.
I needed to replace my Creative HQ-1500's which I've had a good 5+ years use out of. I thought those were great until I started using the AD700's.

These are the first open ear headphones I've bought so I didn't know if I would like them. I have only had a couple of hours use out of them so far and already they sound pretty incredible. I've tested them on various games, movies and music and for me personally they sound best used in games.
Uncharted 2 sounds amazing. I could notice the difference in clarity straight away compared to my old headphones. The AD700 produced such crisp and clear sounds, I could hear every detail and sounds I hadn't even heard before.
As for movies, they sound almost how I imagined. Conversations sound more natural, you can tell where the person is speaking from compared to my HQ-1500's which, I never realised but, actually sound flat and too close to the ear as if they were standing right next to me.
Music sounds crisp and clear and they produce no hiss at all.
The AD700's are not heavy on the bass but they don't need to be. I do like my bass but not too over powering and the AD700's produce more than enough bass for me to be satisfied with.

I bought these mainly for movies and gaming but I also tried them listening to Tiesto - Elements of Life on Blu-ray. I do not recommend these headphones for trance or drum and bass.
Although they sound good they just didn't blow me away. However, they do sound amazing with classical music or chillout.

On summary, if you're into gaming then these are perfect. I do prefer my old HQ-1500's for watching action movies with big explosions but I would choose the AD700's for other kinds of films.
I now prefer open ear headphones to closed ones. The sounds appear more spacious, which feels more natural to the ear. I'm not an audiophile but I'm assuming this is what open ear headphones are intended to do.

I should point out that these headphones are huge! They are too big for me and look rather silly on but as they are intended for home use nobody is going to see you wearing them.
I can't comment on other headphones as I haven't tried them.

Unfortunately, as good as these headphones are I am having to return mine simply because they are too big for my minuscule head and they keep sliding off. No one likes a big head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Technica Headphones ATH-AD700, 18 Oct 2010
The Audio Technica ATH-AD700 are Circumaural (completely surround the ears), open backed (they leak some noise) headphones. They are really quite large and are more suitable for home use. They are light and very comfortable to wear and are good for long listening sessions. The headphone cable is 3m long. They are easy to drive as i have used them on my Samsung wave phone to good effect.

I would describe the AD700's as having a large sound-stage with quick, tight bass (this headphone is definitely not for bass-heads), smooth mid-range and a detailed upper end.

Minor criticisms: I find that some of the plastic construction is a little creaky sometimes. I would of liked a bit more clamping pressure, or the ability to adjust it, to make it press against your head a bit harder as they are a little loose on my head.

Having had the AD700's since march 2010 when i paid 114 for them I initially purchased them for gaming for there sound-stage and positional audio, which they excel at but i have also found that they are great for movies and perform very well across a broad range of music. Overall a very good, great sounding all rounder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect!, 7 Dec 2010
I purchased these headphones back in the summer. I agree with a lot of what the people have had to say about the headphones however. It's not so much that the bass is lacking, but as the top end is so strong and sharp, that the bass isn't there enough. For classical music i can't imagine that there are many better headphones. For dance music they are a big no no. The hi- hats and vocals in dance music are to sharp and the driving bass drums will not be there to be heard. I then bought a pair of Sennheiser HD595s. For an overall headphone these are better but a bit more expensive. For classical music the Audio Technicas are the best, but for most other genres they will leave you feeling disappointed. I wish i did slightly more research before i bought these. However they do look top class and the colour is damn good to. I have also just thought of another bad point, if you have a tiny head these might not fit to good, my girl friend could not wear these they kept falling off, something else worth thinking about if you have a small head.

5.0 out of 5 stars Damn fine headphones!, 7 Feb 2010
C M (London England, UK) - See all my reviews
These were my first foray into "proper" headphones.

I decided on these based on forum research which said time and again they have a fantastic soundstage.

They certainly do sound fantastic (games, movies, music (wide range)) though I have nothing even close in quality to compare them to (my source is a well known brand of PC Soundcards).

Bass is not their strongest point, I knew that before purchase and didn't have a problem with that, and I still don't, there is enough bass there for me.

The cable got so twisted from the way I use them (purchased late 2008 remember!) that I finally had crackling issues just before christmas 2009. Audio Technica UK sent me a brand new set as replacement.

Overall - fantastic headphones, only problem is they are a lot more expensive now than when I bought them in 2008, for around 80! So perhaps consider them on import.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Technica AD-700, 12 Jun 2009
Callum Deal (Leicester, Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Being new to the world of headphones I was looking to purchase my first 'real' pair having only owned some Denon IEMs and Sennheiser HD202s.

The first thing I noticed was the classy looking box, shallow I know but hey, what can I say. Makes a change from the usual moulded plastic case either way.

These are incredibly comfortable headphones, someone I know tried these on and described it as having a sofa on his head! Don't let that put you off though, yes these are very large headphones but they barely way a thing and the system they use for keeping the 'phones secure works a treat (the name escapes me I'm afraid). Oh and its worth mentioning that these are over ear not on ear headphones, meaning they surround the ear not sit on top of them.

On to the sound, straight away they impress with their open and detailed sound, highs, high mids and just mids in general really come alive, cymbals extend way into the upper frequencies with vocals sounding alive and up front without being over powering or harsh. They have handled everything I've thrown at them which includes anything from Origin to La Roux.

One thing you seem to hear alot about these is a lack of bass, I'd like to dispel that rumour (at least in my opinion), yes the bass isn't in your face or like having a sub woofer in your ear but its always there when it should be, if you don't hear bass its because of a poor source or its just the ways its been mixed.

If anyone is thinking of buying these for gaming/movies as well as music, as I did, these are a great choice, the soundstage on these 'phones is great and positioning in games like CS:S, TF2, L4D (yes I enjoy Source games) is pretty spot on. Cinematic scores sound great with SFX really jumping out out you in all the right places.

At this price point there is a lot to chose from but do yourself a favor and give these a shot, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Audio-Technica ATH AD700 - Headphones ( ear-cup )
Used & New from: 135.00