5.0 out of 5 stars An inspired and deeply moving performance, 12 Feb 2008
Joel Stern "fzirp" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nicolas Gombert: Magnificat I; Salve Regina; Credo; Tulerunt Dominum (Audio CD)
I have regarded Oxford Camerata recordings somewhat warily in the past, but this disc features a performance capable of competing with the best in the repertoire. Nicolas Gombert was a musical genius of the highest order and Jeremy Summerly obviously has a deep affinity with Gombert's work. Under his direction the group delivers a highly nuanced performance which plumbs the subtlety and passion of this music.
The production of this recording is excellent. Although the acoustic is a bit dry, this is a benefit in allowing the clear dilineation of each part and delivering detail which might have been lost in a more reverberant environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars More fodder for the soul!, 26 Jun 2008
This is my first introduction to Gombert and I was not disappointed.A melodic and uplifting repertoire performed sensitively by Oxford Camerata (one of my favourites, I have to admit!). A great value CD, to be recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Obscure composer, should be heard more, 26 Jan 2013
I had never come across Gombert, and wish that I had done so years ago. The tonality and disposition of voice parts is very unusual and rich. He uses doubling of the lower parts to achieve a sombre tonality which I happen to find very pleasing. Do give it a listen and hear something slightly different. Dr. William Sellwood