5.0 out of 5 stars chemistry lab review

Published on 24 Feb 2011 by KLF

5.0 out of 5 stars chemistry lab review, 30 July 2009
Samantha Briggs (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
My son has been waiting to get his hands on a chemistry set for years and as soon as he turned 10, we got this one. It is fantastic and he loves it. There is a large selection of chemicals with a brilliant instruction book. All the apparatus is good quality glass and he feels like a real scientist at last! The only downside if this is one, is that other chemicals and supplies need to be purchased to complete all the experiments but as there are absolutely loads of experiments, there is plenty to go at before you will need extras (and a lot of these extras can be found in the home already).
I would definately recommend this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to practical science, 12 Feb 2012
Jenni "jenn_a" (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
The only thing my daughter wanted for Christmas was a chemistry set so after much investigation we plumped for this one.

The experiments in the manual are well presented and let us explore an idea methodically and perform a few experiments around the subject - taking invisible inks from the lemon juice method exposed through heat to a starch based ink revealed by an iodine developing fluid we had to make first was fab, for instance.

The equipment isn't all that robust, but is much more realistic than in some kits (glass test tubes, beaker and stirrers which tolerate heating) and is easily complemented with odds and ends to extend the range of the experiments.

The only material we ran out of was copper sulphate and that was easily replaced for a few pounds from an online gardening supplier - I've read criticisms that there are a lot of extra materials required and while that's true, they are all items easily and cheaply accessed through a couple of visits to the pharmancy and a well known diy chain - and I guess the kit would be a LOT more expensive if they were in the box too.

Overall excellent product, complete and well supported with great documentation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit, 24 Feb 2011
KLF (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
You get the basics that you need to perform the experiments. As many have previously commented you will need extra items to do the majority of the experiments though some such as sugar,salt a lemon et.c are easily available, some less so. Although you do get many chemicals to perform some experiments, you dont get too much eg Copper Sulphate, so you will need to source more if for example you wish to grown crystals. I am having to locate these through a lab supplier. It may not be so easy for others to acquire these. My 7 year old & I have had good fun with this and we have only done the 1st few of the 100 experiments.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boooooring, 22 Dec 2012
Paul (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
I got it for my 8 yo daughter - she likes sciency stuff a lot, and I thought a chemistry set would be ideal. I was suitably impressed when I opened the box - quite a few chemicals, plus basic glass and even kids' goggles. So far so good. Some consumables were not there - either common household items such as sodium chloride or higher volume stuff, but that's a good thing; you don't want to pay for a set full in fact of salt, sugar, citric acid and water, do you? The booklet also says a hundred experiments. Hours of fun, right?

Just to set the background... The daughter is in year 4 and is pulling year 6 performance. I am a scientist and work in a university; I've had a chemistry set as (an utterly geeky) kid, which was real' fun, although some substances in it were literally lethal. Anyway.

A hundred experiments listed in the booklet are - for the most part - trivial and repetitive. Take the solubility part - you basically stick everything you've got into a test tube one by one and see how well it does. It all culminates with trying to dissolve black pepper (really?). Works out as half a dozen separate 'experiments', which is how it goes up to a hundred.

We played with it for an hour or so, enjoyed the novelty of the process if not the results, did the fun stuff and I leafed through the booklet trying to find something to keep the kid's interest going. Nope. It went back into the box and so far I don't think it's gonna come back out soon.

I don't know what your kids are like, but in our case it has to bang (preferably), fizz, change colour or at least smell funny, otherwise it's not proper science. Trying condiments for solubility just doesn't do it.

The verdict is that if you really want a set - say, to give it as a present, it's probably fine, given that the target kid likes the process of messing with glass and enjoys wearing goggles and a lab coat. There's a danger, though, that the lack of fizz and bang will put them off.
If you want to get your kid interested in experimenting, you're better off googling it and getting the ingredients separately. A bottle of diet coke and a Mentos do miracles; so do borax and PVA - in fact, we've mare a bucketful of silly putty and she played with it for three days. The list goes on - corn flour in water plus daddy's HiFi speakers, soda and vinegar in a volcano-shaped thing with red die... And these are in no way less valid experiments that those in the set and some will stretch your A-level science knowledge to the max, but they are both fun and educational, which this set, unfortunately, isn't.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money!, 19 Feb 2011
IrishCol (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
This is a great little lab and even though some chemicals need to be purchased to complete some of the experiements there is ample in this kit to do some of the experiements! It actually added to the fun going to get other chemicals for it at the chemist! Would purchase again, it has great educational value!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for childeren interested in science, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
Great product for my 8 year old daughter who is really interested in chemistry at the moment. Great experiments but an adult is needed to supervise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Science!, 29 July 2011
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
I bought this for my 10 year old who desperately wanted a chemistry set. So far we have really enjoyed the experiments which we are working through in order. As mentioned some of the substances required aren't included but we got them all in our local chemists with no problem at all. The spirit burner is effective but small enough to be safe. The test tubes, holders, pipettes etc are all good quality and there is a great array of chemicals to work with. I would definitely recommend this product - but in my opinion an adult should definitely supervise at all times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost-perfect chemistry set, 4 Jan 2010
H. Crofoot (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
Everything you want in a chemistry set. The tools and containers are all good quality and the instruction booklet comes with 100 experiments to try. A 10 year old will most likely need adult supervision and help. There are a lot of chemicals, although some of the quantities are a bit skimpy. I was happy with the quality and thorough feel of this product. The experiments are mostly solutions and crystals - I think a magnet could have been included for a bit more variety. But I can supply that. Overall - very happy: quality and good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift for 9 year old, 19 Jan 2010
S. Nolan - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
We purchased this Chemistry set for our neice as a Christmas present. Although she didn't open it while we were with her (so unable to comment on the durability etc.), she was over the moon with it and wanted to start right away! Although for 10 yrs+, she is fairly mature for her age and her Dad was keen to assist! The delivery could not have been better, packaged up really well and arrived the day after I ordered it, with free delivery. Excellent service (I just wish other dealers were as efficient!).

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking, 27 Nov 2011
Mr. R. Weller "richardspacepod" (cambridge uk) - See all my reviews
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Chemistry Lab (Toy)
I guess it's OK but don't think you'll be sitting down on your child's birthday or Christmas and doing some interesting experiments, oh no, because before you can do this you'll need to go out and buy some chemicals, oh and some meths, oh and make evaporation trays out of yoghurt pots. Maybe I've missed the point but if a chemical's needed to do an experiment either put the chemical in the chemistry set or don't include the experiment.

Chemistry Lab