5.0 out of 5 stars Superb memory card reader at a fantatic price!
Published on 16 Jun. 2007 by Fatboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Close...but no XDcard!
I need to read a lot of SDHC cards, which is why I brought it but unfortunately, as it does not read XD cards, it's a bit of a compromise for me... Minus one star

I have stuck it on top of my computer with 'bluetack' and it is indeed a SOLID, WELL MADE BIT OF KIT.

Published on 29 Feb. 2008 by R. Phillips

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb memory card reader at a fantatic price!, 16 Jun. 2007
Fatboy (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kingston 15-in-1 - Card reader - 15 in 1 Hi-Speed Card Reader/Writer (Personal Computers)
I purchased this card reader because I previously had a Sandisc card reader. The new camera that I purchased takes SD memory cards, I purchased a Sandisc Extreme Ultra 3 SD card for my new camera, however the Sandisc card reader that I have mentioned (which is supposed to read every conceivable memory type) would not read my Sandisc Extreme Ultra 3 memory card, you would think that it would at least read its own branded card, anyway I will now review the Kingston card reader.

If you are using Windows XP then its just a matter of connecting the USB lead off of the card reader to the computer, if you are using Windows 98 then you will need to visit Kingston web site and download the drivers. I will also mention that the USB lead that connects the card reader to the PC is a very generous length, the Sandisc card reader I had came with a 6 inch long USB lead which in my opinion is useless.

After about 30 seconds or so, the memory card reader had finished installing. I then tried the afore mentioned SD card, the Kingston card reader read this card with no problems whatsoever, I have also tried a M2 card (in its provided adaptor) which is the memory type that my Sony Ericsson K800i mobile phone takes, and this too worked with no problems whatsoever, I then proceeded to try my girlfriend's memorystick pro from her Sony digital card and this too worked with no problems whatsoever.

My advice is this, if you are in the market for a multi format memory card reader then the Kingston 15-in-1 - Card reader is in my opinion the best you can get, in my opinion it beats the Sandisc card readers and these are more expensive than this card reader (I think you are paying for the name a bit with Sandisc) and also the Kingston card reader comes with a 5 year warranty. Overall the Kingston 15-in-1 - Card reader is absolutely fantastic value for money and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars **SDHC Card Reader** Hoorah!!!, 13 Aug. 2007
R. D. Robson "Alpha Male" (County Durham UK) - See all my reviews
The reason I purchased this memory card reader was as a replacement for my Belkin reader that I've used for many years but it couldn't read memory cards higher than 2GB's. Unfortunately, the Kingston is yet another reader that doesn't read/write XD cards which one of my cameras use. However, the main reason for 4 and not 5 stars is the infuriating hassle I have aligning the cards when plugging them into the sockets. A problem that I never had with the Belkin reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars kingston card reader, 20 Dec. 2006
B. Coultrup (Romford) - See all my reviews
I have just puechased myself a digital photoframe,which only certain media cards can be used with this unit,with the kingston card reader there is a wide choice of cards that can be used,its a great piece of equipment and very easy to use just insert you card and watch all your digital photos,i recommend this card reader its great.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent choice for Linux and Windows XP users., 12 Nov. 2007
C. Smith "chris0161" (Manchester, UK.) - See all my reviews
Linux users have a tough time with hardware as it can sometimes be a leap of faith with users not knowing if hardware will work until you plug it in. I have tested this card reader with a live CD version of Xubuntu and it works well without the need to install any additional drivers or software. I was able to copy files from my Win XP partition straight onto the Memory Stick(MS), Secure Digital(SD) and Compact Flash(CF) cards and I was also able to transfer files between each card.In order to test the system further I removed each card without unmounting it first (a bad idea). Xubuntu just unmounted the card automatically without crashing, excellent!.When I booted into Win XP the card reader worked just as well. Overall a good card reader and well worth the extra cash to avoid the hassle associated with cheaper products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reads it flashing and lightening quick, 28 Nov. 2007
My old Tevion card reader could not read my new Sandisk Extreme III SD. That is when I knew the Tevion reader was incapable of handling new tech. After reading one of the reviews here I immediately purchased this card. I am extremely satisfied with this purchase.

It reads my Extreme III cards (SD and CF)at the speed of lightening. My Kingston 50X SD also reads well. The card reader feels well built and comes supplied with a quality high speed cable. The card fit tight and secure.

If you are looking for a card reader, look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value product, 7 Dec. 2007
Mr. Richard J. Neale (Warrington England) - See all my reviews
Bought this to transfer pictures to and from SD cards. The unit is a bit lightweight but does the job perfectly and comes with a good quality screened USB cable. Has a blue LED which goes purple while data is transferred which is a nice touch.
For the money how could you complain!

5.0 out of 5 stars For Linux users, 5 Nov. 2007
I took the risk in buying this item to use on my openSUSE 10.3 install of Linux. Firstly, though, it's a lot smaller than it looks from the picture and is easily portable with my laptop.

I plugged it in and tried out my SD Card from my PDA. After a second, a window popped up asking what I wanted to do with the device. I selected Open in a Folder. Everything was where it should have been. Next, I tried a MiniCD from my Mobile phone. The results were the same.

I would definitely recommend this device to anyone wanting mobility, ease and compatibility with all operating systems.

Technical Info: Linux kernel 2.6.22, KDE 3.5.8

5.0 out of 5 stars Speedy Gonzalez!, 6 Aug. 2007
This card took 2 minutes flat to transfer 718mb of jpegs from a SanDisk ultra II SD card.

Need I say more?!

3.0 out of 5 stars Close...but no XDcard!, 29 Feb. 2008
R. Phillips (near Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews

NOTE- The cable connector and the antiference coil- which is almost twice as high as the reader itself, could prove troublesome if you are pushed for space as they do protrude almost two inches from the back of the unit... Minus another star

All said, a very well built bit of kit that does the job but not as flexible as other, perhaps less reliable or less well made units...hence 'close but no cigar (XDcard) '

1.0 out of 5 stars damages my SD cards, 17 Mar. 2008
maple tree (Somerset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
this reader may be fast but it has been physically damaging my SD cards when inserting them into the slot; the cards do not go in smoothly and the small plastic separators on the contact end have been caught and bent several times, i.e. each time I have tried to insert the card;
I managed to fix the damage the first time round and the card has gone without problems into the camera and into a Sandisc reader and the integrated reader in my notebook, just not this reader, which will go on the junk-heap before it damages any more cards;
maybe I am unlucky, but be forewarned of the possibility.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›