Format: DVD|Change

on 13 June 2011
I bought House of Voices on the strength of Martyrs, a unique work of genius with as much psychological acuity and thematic depth as grimy horror goodness. I didn't know what to expect considering the poor IMDb score and lacklustre Amazon reviews, but I have to say: they're wrong. House of Voices isn't on the scale of Martyrs, either in ambition or execution, but it is a thoroughly intriguing, atmospheric film with many tantalisingly similar concerns and motifs. The ending, in particular, is brave and uncompromising, and the film as a whole tells an ambiguous and unsettling story. The complaints of it being "confusing" are correct to an extent, but only if you're looking for something that holds you by the hand and guides you through a simple tale. I certainly wasn't expecting that from Pascal Laugier, and if you're more interested by the promise of atmosphere and eerie puzzle pieces, give it a try.
on 27 December 2014
It doesn't have the touch that Laugier's later work would have, but the fan can see his trademark of appearing to make one film, whilst also making another. The performances aren't great and the story is a bit all over the place, but there are individual moments where a talent shines, and an ability to genuinely unnerve is already present. Not a touch on later work 'Martyrs' or 'The Tall Man' but a worthy debut.
on 21 April 2006
I found this film to be a bit on the slow side and a little confusing at times.My teenagers did find it a bit scary in places but it promised more than it delivered. On the whole an okay film but there are a lot better ones out there!
on 28 May 2013
Original.A trifle morbid during moments but overall very original as a theme and as usual these days well cast. Excellent response from seller.
on 21 August 2013
Have watched a lot of films similar to this and found this to be average. I have een a lot better!!!
on 3 March 2016
Ok
on 1 December 2010
I was shocked how bad this movie was...
Of course the movies has its good moments and scary scenes - but in general it's not a horror movie - nor is it any kind of genre movie.. it's just... there..
It's not that I was expecting something - but after the movie I had this feeling of "couldn't I have done anything better for the running time of this movie?" and the answer is definitly YES!
on 11 November 2011
Yes the film was atmospheric,well acted and at times scary, but it was predictable and not a patch on other films like Orphanage and the Others. I have edited this original review as I seem to have upset a lot of people by divulging the ending of the film.
1010 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse