5.0 out of 5 stars Pro camera at prosumer price
Published on 30 July 2007 by Mo

› See more 5 star, 4 star reviews
3.0 out of 5 stars The seller was great
The seller was lovely and delivery was swift.

my only problem was with the camera. It hasn't served me too well while it has been in my possession. As a professional I found it disappointing. quality is not up to scratch and sometimes needs time to "think" before it take a photo.
Published on 9 Mar. 2013 by Nicola

› See more 3 star, 2 star, 1 star reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pro camera at prosumer price, 30 July 2007
Mo "f1mo" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
I recently bought this camera after my Nikon D2H started to develop a fault. I have been very impressed with this camera as it is almost the same as the top-end Nikon cameras like D2H & D2x difference being its not fast as the D2H (8fps) or powerful as D2X (12.4mp) or has the shooting capacity (800 shots), and body shape both of which have verical grip but all other features and controls are present.
It is bulit superbly, with sturdy ergonomics and the feel of robustness that gives the user the confidence of longevity.
The camera is packed full of features, too many to go through here, but I love the control placements, access, large screen, comfortable grip, and 5fps burst.
I use my camera for sport, wedding and event photography and it has proved itself easily.

I also have a D80 which i use as a 2nd body, this too shares a lot of features like the D200, but is no way near as sturdy or fast, although it is easier to use at times. The D80 does have better scrolling using the jog dialswhich makes going through pictures in preview mode much easier.
I would recommend good optics, Nikon is renowned for having excellent optics, but at the higher end of the scale these are expensive. I would also suggest buy external flash gun (Nikon SB800) additional cells and a good qulaity camera bag.
I have been a Nikon man for a while and whilst the Canon camera package is good, I doubt I can convert myself over especially at this range of the price bracket, there really is not a DSLR that is so talented.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent!!!, 25 Feb. 2006
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Devon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
I upgraded from the Nikon D70 to the D200 and I am knocked out by it.
The build quality is superb and the feel of the camera in your hands is great. The controls and menu system are intuitive. The resolution and detail is brilliant, noticably superior to the D70 and certainly capable of enlarging to poster size with vivid detail. In fact unless you have a very specialised need I cannot see why you could poosibly require more. The metering system is very accurate under virtually all circumstances and the inclusion of a multiple exposure (and image overlay) feature means I can't find anything you could do with a film camera that the D200 cannot do, (including black & white).
Also having researched this camera against the D2X for the price tag there is no contest in my opinion.<it is a lot to pay (and took a lot of careful thought and consideration) but this camera is worth every penny.
For the older photographers out there that remember the Canon A-1, I think this camera is a similar groundbreaker.
So far I cannot pick fault with it and am very pleased I spent the money. If you can afford it do not hesitate to buy this camera. That is why I decided to take the time to write this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Actually astonishing value for money... trust me, 25 May 2006
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
This is only my 6th camera purchase in 45 years. Brownie 127, Zenith E, Miranda Sensomat, Olympus OM1, and for the last 6 years, an Olympus 1.3Mp digital snapshot camera. If you're similarly inclined, and if you've found yourself taking great digital pictures at lousy quality over the past few years, then reward yourself now. This is, as my kids would say, an absolutely awesome piece of kit. The build quality needs to be felt to be understood, and the ergonomic design is outstanding. The vast array of functions seems daunting at first, but the buttons and control wheels are so amazingly well placed that this camera will become a natural extension to your hands and eye in no time at all. Straight out of the box, with everything set to auto, I took a picture to die for on the first outing. Lens quality - even the cheap basic 18-70 - is terrific. Autofocus 'just works', exposure metering hasn't let me down yet, and the ability to work with all modes down to full manual is well laid out and easy to switch in a hurry. The TTL Flash gives this an intelligent flash which I have hardly stretched yet, but looks good indeed. Various comments about battery life, but to me shooting a 2Gb CF card with 320 fine quality large JPG images is adequate on one charge. Spare battery would be a useful purchase though.

Quite simply, if you're thinking of spending £600 on a plastic DSLR, spending double the money on a magnesium alloy gem as well designed and engineered as this is a no brainer. Go on - you deserve it!

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought 2, 29 May 2007
Paul Hodgson "www.bof.uk.com" (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
not bragging honest!

I'm a pro photographer and bought these cameras to complement my growing equipment stash and have been very pleased with the results.

Buyer beware though - the manual doesn't make for a straight forward read. instead spend a little more cash and by the Thom Hogan cd book from [...]

Once you understand the camera you'll adore it.

PS...if you plan on shooting in available light with high iso settings then I'd think of buying perhaps a full frame Canon (5D or 1Dsmk2) but they're significantly more expensive.

Mostly though this camera feels just right in your hands - it feels like it's made from top quality materials and the engine inside has more configurations than you'll ultimately need. Buy some image software to accompany the D200 and you'll be set for life (well, until the next gen of cameras raise the bar higher).

Software I'd recommend -

catalogue you digital library everytime - Adobe Lightroom will do that and much more.

For significant image alterations absolutely recommend...

Adobe CS2 or CS3. For most CS2 will start sell for less with the introduction of CS3 but will be more than most will need. If you have the money - CS3, if not, find a copy of CS2 but Lightroom is where I'd begin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Choice of lenses, 20 Jan. 2010
F. Merritt (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
Other reviewers have covered the picture quality this camera can provide. I would just add that it is one of the few digital bodies which can take manual focus (ai, ais) lenses and still offer metering (though there is a slightly limited range of exposure modes available, and you do need to set the f number and length of the lens in the D200's menu). Many of these older lenses are optically superb and can be bought at very modest prices for the quality they give.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome, 6 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
Start writing out your cheque now. I can not find fault with this camera. I have been eyeing up digital cameras for the past 2 years sticking to my trusty Contax, but finally decided to take the plunge. There is nothing this camera can not do and the 10.8 mega pixel should keep even the proffessionals happy. The only thing I could say is that if you are buying this as a kit try and get the equally awsome 18~200mm VR zoom lens it will do everything you will not need another lens. Okay SLR is all about being able to change lenses but with my old film camera I used 2 out of my 6 lenses & mainly kept to one well this lens will do all the things you are goimg to need. There is a waiting list for both as I write this but put your name down NOW.!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nikon D200 body - still excellent 8 years on, 16 Nov. 2013
Andrew Lewis (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
Just bought one of these second hand with a mere 10000 shutter activations, a clean sensor and boxed for £179.00!
With a set of old AI/AIS lenses in my possession, it was well worth it just to use these in a digital format.

I've only experimented so far, different iso speeds, colour balance, sharpening etc and I'm very impressed - my other DSLR is a D90 after selling a Canon 20D some time ago. I've set the auto iso setting to 100 - 1600 and I've got to say the reports about colour rendition are correct - seems much easier to get a realistic rendition and taken raw or even jpeg the noise that does appear at 1600 iso is much more uniform and unobtrusive than the irritating patterns and artifacts that appear with CMOS sensor cameras. I'm sure the difference is due to the CCD sensor compared to the CMOS ones now almost universally used - as is the extra power draw - CCD's apparently use more than CMOS.

However, if you use Nikon and want a useful and still excellent body for your old 35mm lenses (allowing for the 1.5X magnification/crop) then you can't do better than invest some £200 odd in getting a good copy of one of these - as well as a useful back up - that has been proven producing innumerable professional images for weddings and the like (check a few photography blogs to see the evidence for this).

I look forward to some portrait and landscape work in the near future - the images at 100 iso are incredibly detailed & impressive & knock the sharp but flat and lifeless images of the canon I still possess into the proverbial cocked hat (and the noise is actually better - the Canon had high iso banding - my copy of the D200 does not).

So - got £200 for a spare Nikon body? You won't regret getting a low use one of these....

5.0 out of 5 stars A hassle-free way into digital..., 17 Jan. 2007
J. Morrison (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
I've had my D200 for 4 months. It seems longer because I've taken so many pix with it. It's my first DSLR, and I wasn't even sure I wanted the hassle of learning a whole new photographic discipline. After a couple of days, I stopped worrying. The camera, though complex, is intuitive in use. I've developed simple procedures for getting the pictures I want (which leaves many of the camera's features unused), and I'm gobsmacked by the results. It's given me a renewed interest in both photography and landscape. The only negative aspect is flare when shooting into the sun, but I'm learning how to control that too. I hope the D200 will last me for many years (I've only owned three cameras in about 30 years). I'd recommend the camera to any 'thinking' photographer; for once I made the right decision...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a seriously good camera, look no further, 7 Jan. 2007
ALW Hedges "happy snapper" (Norwich, Norfolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
I have owned this camera for some time now, long enough to know that it is a very good camera. It is firmly aimed at serious amateurs who don't fancy shelling out [...] for the D2x or D2xs. As I have a range of Nikon lenses I wouldn't consider anything that isn't Nikon, so some Canon Dslr's might have higher megapixels, it concerns me not.

The D200 is basically a cut down version of the D2x. It shares the same basic "innards" but has a lower Megapixel output 10 MP rather than the D2x's [...]. I note, and perhaps maybe you should too, if your considering buying this camera, that it won an award as Camera of the year 2006... don't ask me which organisation awarded it.

Rather than go on about how great this camera is (I'll let others do that) I will say whats not so great about it.

I traded up from a D70s to the D200 and the D200 is notably bigger and heavier than a D70.

There are no preset settings such as 'landscape', 'portrait', 'sport' and so on. This isn't really a problem, because if you flash the cash on this fantastic camera, you make it your business to learn to use it properly. This year I intend on getting it into Manual mode!

Thats it. It's a bit heavy and you have to use your brain!

Battery life is good. Turn it on and it's ready immediately. Throw whatever situation you like at it and it will cope beautifully - remember, if a photo doesn't come out the way you envisioned it, it is not the camera's fault, it's probably yours!

If you are serious about photography and want a very very good camera, buy this. I am pretty sure that everyone who owns one will recommend it - I do!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent camera, 8 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Nikon D200 BODY Digital Camera (Electronics)
I find this camera a real pleasure to use. The big viewfinder, great auto focus, great image quality, high speed and excellent ergonomics and quick access to controls make it a winner for me.

The down side for me is the short battery life. It's also quite heavy for carrying round all day.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›