5.0 out of 5 stars A Mesmerising Study in Isolation and Human Relationships
Naked hit me like a sledgehammer when I first saw it. Unmatched in intensity, it examines several lives in different degrees of detail with one thing in common. They are all alone - even the girls who share the flat and the rich City boy with his girlfriends and conquests. Johnny links them together - his interactions with them, at times gentle, at times vicious and...
Published on 1 Sep 2008 by Matt 85

3.0 out of 5 stars Naked aggression
I like arty films that are non-formulaic and this film fits that bill. So, I can honestly say that I liked lots about this film and I'm glad it was made and I'm also glad I have seen it. Is it a masterpiece? Probably not.

Thewlis is predictably brilliant in his portrayal of the anti-hero who is set as our tour-guide of the darker fringes of society. He is...
Published on 4 Sep 2009 by Creeping Rufus

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Why no Oscar nomination?, 8 Mar 2010
B. Tan (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
That was the first question to pop into my head even before the end credits roll! David Thewlis is simply awesome! You can't help but feel his state of mind and body as you follow his drift from one person to another. You can sense that his survival and his ability to hold on to life is a result of his wittiness and self assured intelligence. This is a film totally void of any special effects or stunts. There is no plot and action to speak of and in that sense, its naked, and yet in my opinion, deserved to be in my top 10 of all movies I have watched. A film that holds you to the screen by its dialogue alone. For those who are not British like me, be sure to watch with subtitles on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, funny, thought provoking, 5 April 2009
Dr. J. S. E. Sullivan-lyons "Dr. Jo" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Like all Mike Leigh films, this is entertaining without you really quite understanding why. At the end, I was left with a million questions. I thought it lost its way a bit in the middle. By far the best bits are at the flat. Definitley worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Johnny Go, 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Every town has a Johhny - an angry, arrogant, street philosopher who questions the validity and meaning of conventions and society. He is an outsider who is also a parasite. Although he questions everything he has no solutions. He is dangerous but interesting and a bit pathetic. Wrap all this bitter, twisted, tortured emotion up inside the excellent David Thewlis and we have a riveting cinematic experience.
Johnny is stripped naked of politeness and convention, money, belongings or even a place to live. He is a hard character to pin down and shouldn't be. He is a bastard and a rogue but I think I like him. He is more than a little bit angry and I wont even go into his attitudes towards women and why women seem to like him or want to save him - you could write a thesis on that.
It's interesting to see Claire Skinner (from Outnumbered) here - she is also in that other Mike Leigh masterpiece Life Is Sweet [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars This film changed my life!!, 18 Aug 2008
Mr. S. M. Harris "mr cynical." (with the wife and kids) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Having been a fan of Mike Leigh since accidently watching Abigails Party when I was about 13 I initially approached Naked with caution, after the bitter sweet romp that was 'life is sweet'the reviews for Naked at the time where varied and complex; and for only one reason..no one knew quite what to make of it. The opening scene has been debated on over the years whereupon the 'hero' Johnny is indulging in consensual, rough, backstreet sex with a women who he presumably knows. It sets up the film wonderfully as Johnny (played by the now famous David Thewlis) drifts around London and lambasts everybody he meets with his black-bible polemic. The 'end of the World is nigh' scene with Brian the security guard is worth the entry fee alone. This film made this young man (then) also think about the approaching 21st century with a sense of doom and guilt of what the industrial epoch had done to the planet, ourselves and our religious zeal. Never easy viewing, it is shot with minimum colour, but sprinkled with 'laughs' and underscored with sub-plots that tackle sexual relations, post yuppie social constructions, employment and homelessness it is the finest couple of hours that not only Mike Leigh has produced but modern cinema itself. Batman fans stay away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 2 Aug 2007
This review is from: Naked [1993] [DVD] (DVD)
Very powerful film. Id rate this along with Dead Mans Shoes and Trainspotting as the best of British over the past few decades.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lousy picture quality but worth it for the commentary, 11 Aug 2011
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
My complaint has nothing to do with the film, one of my favourites, but the DVD. There has been no attempt to restore the picture for this release and clearly a VHS print has simply been recycled. However, the price is worth it for a revealing and insightful commentary by Mike Leigh, David Thewlis and the much-missed Katrin Cartlidge, providing a fascinating portrait of how the film was made with some amusing anecdotes. So, no marks for picture quality but the commentary is the saving grace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Film, 7 Dec 2010
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
Great British film but was unaware it contained either Dutch or French subtitles (that I was unable to remove for viewing)Before I purchased the DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film - but why no PAL version?, 4 Dec 2009
This review is from: Naked [DVD] [1993] (DVD)
I can't give this film any less than 5 stars, but why is a British film only available on a US DVD? Why is there no region 2 version? I would love to own this film.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Naked [1993] [DVD]
Naked [1993] [DVD] by Mike Leigh (DVD - 2002)
19.99