Format: DVD|Change
Price:£5.04+ £1.26 shipping

This is a charming, if somewhat predictable, movie. With wonderful performances by the sexy D.B. Sweeney and the lovely Moira Kelly, two very underrated actors, this movie will keep the viewer entertained. The story revolves around two athletes. One is a top notch, Olympic level, ice hockey player, who sees his potential professional career go down the tubes, when he is injured during the Olympics. The other is the female half of a pairs figure skating team, who choked during the Olympics, ending their quest for the gold.
Both would be Olympians are not doing well after their own personal waterloo. He is now playing with amatuer teams, as his injury precludes him from going pro. She, a total prima donna, is busy going through one skating partner after another with no success. Her coach, knowing that the ex-hockey player has a lot of skating talent, contacts him in hopes that maybe he will be the one that will be able to work with his temperamental, Olympic hopeful. He agrees and goes to work on learning the niceties of figure skating. She goes to work on learning to get along with him. Together, they are working towards earning an Olympic Gold medal.
There are some delightfully funny and heartwarming scenes in this film. Probably the funniest is the toe pick scene. When you see the film, you will know what I mean. While there is some hockey and figure skating action in this film, it is really not a movie about either sport. It is essentially a romantic comedy that is delightfully directed by Paul Michael Glaser. All in all, it is a very enjoyable film and well worth watching.
Both are not doing well after their own personal waterloo. He is now playing with amatuer teams, as his injury precludes him from going pro. She, a total prima donna, is busy, going through one skating partner after another with no success. Her coach, knowing that the ex hockey player has a lot of skating talent, contacts him in hopes that maybe he will be the one that will be able to work with his temperamental, Olympic hopeful. He agrees and goes to work on learning the niceties of figure skating. She goes to work on learning to get along with him. Together, they are working towards earning an Olympic Gold medal.
on 28 January 2006
I was absolutely delighted when this was released on DVD. It's one of those wonderful, lighthearted films, but it's got a real edge (pardon the pun) to it - snappy dialogue and great one-liners. There's a sparkling chemistry between Moira Kelly and DB Sweeney, both of whom were perfectly cast. This is one chick-flick that even guys will enjoy.
on 17 January 2006
BUT I STILL LOVE THIS MOVIE...I dont know...i am not big on the chick-flick genre, but this is one movie that I have enjoyed a lot of times and I have never been accused of having bad taste in movies. So maybe it is predictable, but it is a sweet and feel-good type of movie for someone who has never skated or seen snow looked good...
on 14 July 2007
While I had been mildly tempted by the film, I put off seeing it for a number of years. Well. My loss. Someday I'll learn that a good chick flick can still be a good flick.

This turned out to be fun and fast moving. With lead actors who are comfortable on skates and expert at deliverying the witty, biting dialog. And there's an extra something here: the chemistry of the two lead actors which lifts this film from simply being a good film to a winning one for fans of romantic comedy/drama. Even guy fans--who'll probably moan sympathetically when Doug walks out on Kate in my favorite scene of the movie.
on 7 March 2016
I never actually saw this film at the cinema, but, because I used to go ice skating a lot, there were posters advertised for it all over the rink where I used to go. I remember Moira Kelly appearing on Wogan, talking about how she had to learn how to skate for her role in the film. When it came out on vhs, we rented it out from the local vid shop, and it was an instant hit in our house. We rented it out so often that I got my dad to ask the vid shop to order a copy for me as a Christmas present! So, to the film itself! It's like boy meets girl, only it's ice hockey player meets figure skater. The two meet fleetingly, where Douglas Dorsey (played by D.B Sweeney), literally sweeps Kate Moseley (played by Moira Kelly), off her feet, but not in a romantic way, before being reunited two years later as their sporting careers falter. Then, the sparks start flying as they try to work together for Olympic glory as the next Torvill and Dean, with the help of ambitious coach Anton. But, while they don't appear to get on at first, there are subtle little romantic nuances throughout the film that bring it round to its logical conclusion. However, the path of true love rarely runs smoothly and the pair have some obstacles to overcome before they realise that they are meant to be together. This film has it all, and it was the most played video in our house, until Titanic came along! There's some fabulous skating scenes too, and whether you are a fan of the sport, or looking for a good romantic chick flick for some weekend viewing, I can't oversell this enough! And it's definitely in my top three films of all time. Naturally, I have it on dvd now, but it's a purchase you won't regret, and I can guarantee you'll be as hooked as I was, and still am! 6.0 right across the board!
on 14 September 2004
I have owned this film for nearly ten years and never tire of it! I have been told I have dreadful taste in films but if like me you love a good romantic comedy with a hilarious early 90's soundtrack and some fantastically camp stereotypical ice-skater characters then you will LOVE this film! My copy even survived sabotage by my uni mates having been subjected to it for 3 years...! I have no idea why I love this but everyone who has watched it with me (other than my uni mates...) has absolutely loved it! BUY IT!
on 19 May 2014
It took a little while to get going, but there’s some terrific skating in this film – both figure skating and (at the start) ice hockey. The two protagonists fight verbally before developing an amazing on-rink chemistry as they slowly overcome their prejudices and learn to respect each other.

Rated PG as there’s no real violence, bad language or nudity, but there are certainly innuendoes and compromising situations, and the subject matter is unlikely to appeal to anyone under the age of about 12.

Rather predictable, of course, but different from the normal rom-coms due to the skating theme; three and a half stars, really.
on 20 December 2011
The Cutting Edge was first shown to me by an ice-skating friend about 15 years ago. When I saw it on Amazon for such a low price, I picked up a copy to watch with my wife.

Maybe I am a bit soppy, but I loved the film (both times). It seems to balance just the right amount of action, drama, romance and good skating to hit the mark. I am sure it would be a hit with most any girl in her teens and wouldn't be surprised if her brothers and parents sneak a watch of it and thoroughly enjoy it in secret.
on 23 February 2014
A typical relationship that progresses from can't stand the sight of each other to love. A predictable, but enjoyable film to watch.