5.0 out of 5 stars about time too!
I'm guessing this has been released following the success of "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Spirited Away", but in my opinion, "My Neighbour Totoro" is Miyazaki's best work.
Published on 7 Mar 2006 by BS

3.0 out of 5 stars A note about this DVD edition
Just a quick note to point out that the DVD zone 1 edition is a Pan & Scan, not a widescreen. If you're a Miyasaki fan you might want to wait for a letterbox version...
I was suprised to discover this because all the other zone 1 miyasaki I've so far bought were ok.
Blame it on Disney where some clever people think that because it's for kids it has to be...
Published on 6 Feb 2005 by pmax.music

5.0 out of 5 stars about time too!, 7 Mar 2006
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
The story follows two little girls, Satsuki and Mei, who move to the country with their father while their mother is recouperating in hospital. Miyazaki captures perfectly the curiosity of two children full of life, chasing dust bunnies (suswatari) and exploring the garden. What this film also captures is the simple beauty of Japanese country life - from clothing and architecture to the girls' respect of a roadside shrine to Jizo-san, the patron saint of travelers.
Totoro himself is a "spirit of the forest" but nothing in the film is more real. He is like a giant furry fat rabbit (without the rabbit teeth!) and when Mei first finds him and goes to sleep on his belly, it makes me want to get the biggest softest grey blanket and snuggle up too. However, my favourite character has to be Catbus. What cat lover could not be utterly taken by a giant tabby cat who is a real live bus, with furry seats, who leaps across the countryside taking Satsuki and Mei for a ride?
This film is magical - and suitable for all ages. The drawing and animation is incredible - especially when you think it was done in 1988 before computer graphics took over. The soundtrack is fantastic too, and the end song will have you singing along!
Don't be put off by the fact that Disney have the distribution rights, either. Miyazaki was incredibly strict when he did that, and controlled an awful lot of things such as the script, editing and merchandising. This means that none of the original spirit is lost, and you don't get any of that over-commercialisation associated with many of the Disney 'brands'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most charming film I have EVER seen!, 16 Mar 2007
S. J. King "zh84" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
This film is intended for small children, so Miyazaki says. I was thirty-six when I watched it. I was so charmed that I showed it again to my father, who was then seventy-seven. He was so charmed that he insisted we must show it to his grandson, who is four. I have seen more exciting films, or funnier films, but none which gave me more sheer delight. It is a great shame the world isn't really as nice as this, but when you are four, like Mei, or even eleven, like Satsuki, this is how you want it to be: everyone bigger is kind and can be trusted completely, and everything always comes right in the end. Knowing a little boy of Mei's age I can vouch for her being highly realistic, from the obsessive looking through a hole in a bucket to the scowling and sulking! The most touching moment is when Catbus' destination board changes to "MEI", showing Satsuki that he knows exactly where her little sister is, and that he's going to take her straight there. My only criticisms, if you can call them that, are that the DVD doesn't contain the legendary sequel "Mei and the Kittenbus", in which Mei meets and goes for a ride with Catbus's little son, and that I can't ride in Catbus myself. As a cat lover and occasional bus user I feel I was born to do that, and it's a disgrace he's only imaginary!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best film I've found for small children, 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
You don't need another review to say what a wonderful film this is. I wanted to praise it for keeping my two year old son happy. We originally got it from the library - then he wanted it every week so it became the first film he actually owns. Several months later he still loves it (even in Japanese) and I'm still delighted to watch it with him - nothing scary, no nasty characters and plenty of roaring!

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best movie of studio ghibli, 31 Dec 2006
Laura (London, UK United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is wonderful the animation is fantastic and the beatuful detailed pictures are just amazing. Each character is so creative and detailed it's just a must see film!! Also Totoro is so CUTE and so are his friends. I loved this movie anyone of any age can see it infact anyone of any age MUST see it.

I personally think all of studio ghibli's films are fantastic ,and so is the animation and drawings ,but this is the very best of studio ghibli. Although Spirited Away and Howls moving castle are brilliant they aren't quite as good as this. But if you enjoy this is highly recommend Howls moving castle and Spririted Away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wait till 2010, 20 July 2005
By A Customer
The movie itself is one of Miyazaki's best. Very deep for a children's film, yet fanciful enough for tykes of all ages. This particular edition, as noted by one apt observer, is a pan and scan and has no special features. The release by Japan, on the other hand, not only is widescreen, but has english subtitles and at least a "making of" featurette as well as more if I remember correctly. The only problem is, the dvd is not region 1.
However, since Disney has been rereleasing all of Miyazaki's films in a two disc, widescreen dub or sub format, I would suggest waiting for that. This edition was NOT released by Disney, and results in the lesser packaging. As for the release date for Disney's two disc set ... last I saw, it was around 2010.
So 5 stars for the movie, 0 stars for this packaging, 10 stars for Disney's two disc versions of other Miyazaki films, and this one will be included there at one point.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Neighbour Totoro, 4 Jun 2007
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed this film. Although I'm a self confessed ghibli fan, this is essentially a film aimed at children, but which I loved from the word go. It has beautiful animation and a simple story that captivates you and makes you smile the whole way. The characterisation is great and the kids in the film are genuinely endearing. The specific touches, like the cat bus, add that spark of magic and wonder for kids and adults alike. I really was surprised at how much I liked this film and have to rate it very highly in Ghibli's output of work. Great viewing and not to be missed.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely enchanting, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
This was a Christmas present for our 4-year-old daughter from her Aunty - my sister Pat.

Pat simply told me that we would probably find this film a little different from the usual fare on offer for children and that she thought our daughter would enjoy it.
What an understatement.

From the moment we pressed 'play' on the DVD player, a whole new world began to unfold.
The quality of the animation on this film is extraordinary. Having set up the DVD for my daughter on Boxing Day, all the adults got on with preparing lunch, but one by one we found ourselves drawn to the TV by this amazing film.
The 2-D artwork and animation is wonderful, creating a magical feeling of being transported into another place. The characters are wonderfully drawn, both literally and metaphorically, the only small reservation being the fact that their speech is dubbed in 'American English'. Forgive me for being 'snobby', but if the characters were voiced by English actors rather than American, this would only enhance the enjoyment. Of course, the film should really be viewed in Japanese. Maybe another day.

How refreshing to see an animated film so beautifully drawn in 2D, and so different to the mass offerings from Disney etc. There is a magical innocence about the story and the way it is portrayed which is utterly captivating.
This is a film which will be enjoyed by anyone, of any age. Our daughter has watched it 4 times now, and I feel a strange sense of satisfaction when I hear her say "Can I watch Totoro again please Daddy?"

I'm so grateful to my sister for introducing us to the world of Hayou Miyazaki, and I've just ordered 2 more of his films for my daughter's forthcoming birthday. I can't wait to watch them!

Disney, eat your heart out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, 14 Jun 2006
Natalie Oughton "Natalie" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
This film is absolutely amazing. I can watch nearly all of the Studio Ghiblis on loop but this one is particularly watchable. One of those films thats handy to have when you're feeling a little low, you just can't help but smile at it.

I personally prefer watching the subtitled version rather than the dubbed version as the characters come across quite differently when compared, in the dubbed version i find Mei annoying and Satsuki rude! I prefer the characters in the Japanese spoken version.

Miyazaki has an amazing way of presenting ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances and this is no let down. These girls could be anyone, they could have been you when you were little and you get to watch them having the adventures you dreamed of when you were tiny.

This film is worth watching even if only to watch the scene where the Totoros and the girls make the seeds grow. It's a fantastic scene and one of my favourites out of the whole Studio Ghibli collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Ghibli favorite for me, 8 Sep 2008
Ana Félix Pires (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] (DVD)
I love Miyazaki, but because I always thought this specific movie was more child oriented, I never really felt the desire to watch it. Now that I have, it's my favorite Ghibli movie yet.

I found 'My Neighbor Totoro' a bit "lighter" than most of Miyazaki's movies, which in no way makes it less fantastic. The story is quite simple, it follows the lives of two girls, Satsuki and Mei, who move to a small house in a rural area, together with their father, so as to be closer to the hospital where their sick mother is recovering. While playing and exploring the new area, Mei comes across very mysterious creatures, and ends up meeting Totoro. The movie is mostly about their friendship.

I have to say it's one of the sweetest and most beautiful movies I've ever watched. It made me giggle like a little girl and although it might first seem primarily aimed at children (like I thought before I watched it), I really think it's good for all ages. Very magical, and still strange enough that it can hold your attention and interest (a "catbus"?).

Needless to say, I really, really recommend this movie.

***

DVD:
SOUND: Original Japanese, dubbed English.
SUBTITLES: Japanese and English.
EXTRAS: Complete storyboards - Get an insider look at the film's artistry; Original Japanese Theatrical Trailer; Textless Opening and Closing Credits; Studio Ghibli Trailer Reel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fantasy for children!, 20 Jan 2004
This is a touching story of two little girls who live with their father while their mother is recovering from an illness in hospital. When the youngest, Mae, is lost in the woods, she and her sister come across the Totoro, which I take is some kind of a ghost, but in the story looks like a really big fat teddy bear! It has a happy ending and leaves little ones giggling through most of it.
It's not scary at all, and my young children grew up watching it after receiving a copy from their aunt on her return from studying in Korea. I've just ordered it on DVD to replace that old video, which is much the worse for wear!

My Neighbour Totoro [DVD]
My Neighbour Totoro [DVD] by Hayao Miyazaki (DVD - 2006)