on 21 January 2011
I am helping a friend's 8-year old child improve their phonics and was looking out for something that would make it more fun but was not too expensive. I think these cards hit the spot.
The pack is divided into first-half sounds (e.g. Th- , Gr-, Bl-) and second-half sounds (e.g. -ink, -ill, -ain). They are different colours so easy to sort quickly if you need to. I took on board the other review and realised that we probably wouldn't be playing the game as written. However, it took no time at all to use some of the cards to devise a simple "pairs" game where he has to match the first and last sounds to make a real word and I think it will be just as easy to make up a few other simple games based around the principles of 'Snap' or 'Old Maid' ('Go Fish').
The child likes it; it makes phonics less of a chore and I thought they were pretty good value. I would recommend to anyone trying to reduce the boredom associated with learning and practising sounds.
on 17 November 2009
This seemed like a really good idea for my 5 year old son, however the way the cards fall mean that we have played games where no words could be made. I have re written the rules and created a complicated double handed version where a card is taken and used from either the beginning of a word pile or the end of a word pile, just so that words can be formed. It is still a worthwhile toy, but is not much 'fun'.
on 10 August 2011
My 6-yr-old received these as a gift from her lovely Auntie who always finds the coolest toys and games. We played them for the first time while I was ill and we both really enjoyed it. My daughter is reading ahead of many of her age-group (she reads "The Faraway Tree" by Enid Blyton and similar books independently for pleasure) so they may not be suitable for all 6-yr-olds; the age on the pack is 7-up I think. I suspect that is the reason for the negative review from the 5-yr-old's Mum. Many of the words we made were unfamiliar to my daughter, so I was able to use the game to expand her vocabulary. I tended to hold back and let her "snap" words I was confident she would get and mainly claim the more unusual words. I enjoyed it so much that I deliberately made the game go on for quite a long time, and we've played several times since and always thoroughly enjoyed it. I imagine it would be even more fun with more players. 4 thumbs up from the two of us!
on 23 April 2015
I found the maths versions of these cards to teach time, fractions and computation so good that I bought these as well. I find this a good set of cards to help students who are just mastering blending. We play the games mentioned on the back of the package: snap and a memory game.

The students enjoyed these games and got practice sounding out words..
on 16 May 2013
The children loved it can be played in many forms easily adapts to suit child's level of attainment a fun way to learn words and spelling.
on 15 March 2013
Good set of cards but not always straighforward to use. However gets them thinking about words and sounds and how things are spelt.
on 20 February 2013
Kids aged 6-7. Non native English speakers. They do play with it from time to time, but not the big hit I was hopping too
on 22 February 2013
Although it says 7+ my 6 year old nephew enjoyed it and it made him think about words and what they meant. Great game.
on 12 June 2016
Excellent game which my (admittedly very interested in reading) 5 yr old loved. Basically you turn over cards with single phonic sounds and call out any real words that are made by the pair of cards in play.
Yes, you can sometimes go a while without a match but it's a fast game so not generally a problem and you could always rig the pack beforehand if you have a particularly impatient player.
Adults need to hone their poker faces before playing though as you can get some comedy/unfortunate combos (very earnest 5 yr old: " 'shat' - well that's not a word is it!!" (No dear!))
on 3 January 2016
These cards are well produced, but my grandson is only 4 1/2 years - cards suitable for 7 yrs and over - so currently in the draw for future use!