Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 September 2011
Chris Farlowe was simply THE UK white soul singer cum blues shouter. No one came near apart from possibly Winwood who moved into different pastures with Traffic, or Fame who was always more jazz and Mose Allison inclined. Along with Georgie he was the man with the residency at the hip Flamingo club famed for jazz blues crossover music. He was the man who Sue records turned to take on the role of the pseudonymous blues singer Little Joe Cook on that marvellous "Stormy Monday". He was the man Jagger produced singing Mick'n'Keef material, gaining a huge hit with "Out of Time". The full results of Chris' recording career at Immediate are contained in this two volume set and to say it's marvellous is a massive understatement.

The range on the album is immense; from predictable soul covers like Otis Redding's "Mr Pitful" and a superbly arranged, "I've been loving you too long", to much less predictable jazz covers like "Moanin'" (of which we get two versions), from a host of Stones covers at which he was uniformly excellent - he really had a way with Jagger/Richards songs, to big, and I mean big, ballads like a "Handbags and Gladrags" which wipes the floor with other versions, from good old rock'n'roll - checkout Fats Domino's "My Girl Josephine" and "The Fool" to an inspired version of Bob Dylan's "It's all over Baby Blue" - a song that's been covered by many but few so successfully.

As for personal favourites, I've so many it's difficult to know where to start. "Paint it Black" has to be in there - I always loved the Stones original but this one stands proudly alongside it with Chis giving his utmost as usual and a manic eastern cum east European, I don't know what, brassy knockout arrangement behind him. Then there's Chris's take on Sanford Clark's "The Fool" - this one's almost a different song from the original, the backing is so strong. But occasionally he toned down the arrangement to more of his club sound as in his own "Treat her Good" which is actually Roy Head's "Treat her right" under a different name but still with that insane rhythm. I'm also partial to Chris' version of the oldie "Summertime", a song that seems to inspire good versions (I've always treasured the Gene Vincent one). And there's "Out of time" itself of course but where do I stop...

I should more than mention that the backing, whether it's just the Thunderbirds or a full orchestra is uniformly excellent often with quite inspired arrangements. Even when said backing is ridiculously strong it doesn't overpower Chris' own awesome voice. The fact that Chris never went on to superstardom unlike some of his compatriots like a certain Mr Stewart, is an unfortunate fact of history but at least we are left with this great legacy.

A splendid set without a duff track in it. It's also an instant guide to the hipper side of the 60's.

As a postscript I would add that I always saw Chris as a UK version of Texas R&B man Roy Head - see reference earlier to "Treat her good/right". Both were blue eyed soul shouters, both were one hit wonders (more or less), both were essentially bar or club performers rather than concert hall artists, both put out R&B flavoured material but could perform ballads without stretching unduly - Head could do a nice line in country soul. While what little we have of Roy Head's output is mainly in a funky vein unlike much of this set, Chris Farlowe's club performance was almost all up-tempo R&B with very few ballads (if any) - I still remember his version of Rufus Thomas' "The Dog" well before I knew such a record existed, I'd only heard "Walking the Dog" at that time.
on 7 November 2004
Wow. This guy is fantastic. Possibly one of the finest voices of all time, which is backed up by the songs to match.
Everything about this album is near perfect. As good as Farlowes voice is, for much of the songs, its the backing band the Thunderbirds who steal the show. This is most certainly the case for my pick of the album, Headlines, a wonderfully upbeat track. I love listening to this one just before i head out anywhere, puts me in a great mood!
Poor Chris, as good as he and his band were, he just could not get the chart success that they deserved. One of the biggest musical tragedies of all time, as it means that so few will get to marvel at the brilliance which is a shame. So dont be one of those who do miss out, buy this now!
It is unlikely that you are reading this having never heard of Chris Farlowe, so you must therefore have heard something by him (Out of TIme most likely, a no. 1 hit). So your probably looking at this wondering if hes a one hit wonder with two disks of average filler! Well let me tell you now, I was in the same possition a couple months ago. I took the risk and bought it, and am now ecstatic that I did! One of the best tenners I ever spent. So if your unsure, the take the same risk I did and be pleased that you did!
My personal picks are Headlines, Out of Time, Ride On Baby, The Fool and It Was Easier To Hurt Her.
Hope this helped
11 comment|65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2008
Never a pin-up, Chris Farlowe's commercial standing failed to match his critical success. This compilation of mid-1960s songs consists of booming, brassy soul-inflected r&b. His version of 'Satisfaction' comes across with the same ardour as a Stax soul track by Pickett or Redding, both of whom also have songs represented here. There are four Jagger/Richards songs in all, including Farlowe's no.1, 'Out Of Time'. His impassioned growl never lets up and by the standards of the time these recordings can boast a pretty dense sound. My favourite track here is Farlowe's own 'North, South, East, West' which is both fast and heavy and features some breathless bass drum work. Farlowe depended mostly on outside material and at least half of the songs are better-known by other artists, but it's hard to fault any of them.
on 17 May 2008
Chris Farlowe at his best was truly world class. The classic illustration of this is the title track "Out of Time", one of the very best rock songs of the 1960s, which made a deep impression on everyone who heard it. It wasn't often that someone else produced a comparable cover version almost at the same time as the Stones, but to my taste Farlowe's "Out of Time" is clearly superior to theirs. For once, Mick Jagger is comprehensively outsung, even though the Stones' "Out of Time" is also very good indeed. Kudos to Jagger for the help he gave Farlowe.
33 comments|32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 September 2003
This collection covers all the Immediate tracks polished up and sounding better than ever. It is strange to think that a man with so many great recordings and one of the best voices the UK has produced has had such little commercial success.
Here is your chance to catch up with one of the greats.
on 1 July 2009
bought farlowes think albumn when first released so it is great to have it plus all the other tracks 49 in all on c.d.Seen him recently on stage and stll sounds brilliant.One of the best voices ever.Scarlet
on 25 September 2009
this compilation is about all the Chris Farlow you'll ever need; it makes a good listen for those of us of an age to remember these tracks; plus for those who've never listened before it makes a fantastic intro . . . I wish I'd bought this many years ago as there are many songs here I've never heard before; well worth a listen!!
on 7 April 2016
Ideally, I was looking for a comprehensive, cut-no-corners kind of a compilation that not only highlights Chris Farlowe's career as a singles artist in the 60s but also covers his later output with Colosseum, Atomic Rooster, Jimmy Page and whoever else he might have trodden the boards with since my back has been turned.
Sadly, it didn't take too long to realize no such compilation exists ...yet.
Maybe one day, but since I already have most of the Colosseum stuff I thought there'd be no harm in grabbing a selection of some of his earlier, more 'well-known' chart material.
So first things first - this ain't it!
Take a good look at the picture on the box and completely ignore the track listing that appears below it.
That's a different cd entirely.
After some research I've discovered that this (Tring) version of 'Out Of Time' isn't a compilation at all, rather a re-issue of some obscure 1991 European release originally called 'Farlowe' but sadly that's as much info as I'm able to gather - other than the fact there are are few well-known guest appearances: Alvin Lee, Albert Lee, Boz Burrell amongst others (although you would need keen ears to identify their contribution through the speakers).
All in all, my surprise at this outcome made up for any disappointment at not receiving the item I'd been expecting (and a few of the tracks on here already sound good enough to force their way onto that comprehensive compilation I was talking about earlier) but it's not all good. The 'title track' for instance sounds like the worst kind of 'disco' adaptation you could imagine, which makes me wonder if it wasn't recorded early 80s.
So for me at least, it's back to scanning those 60's compilations and wondering if I'm not better off throwing 'Colosseum Live' on my cd player instead and cranking up the volume.
Yeah, now that sounds like a plan...

Edit required I think, eight days later...
3 stars does seem a bit mean on my part. I've been playing this disc quite regularly and it just gets better with each listening.
Of course, the title track still sucks and I've never been a fan of 'power ballads' (and there's only one of them) but I'd strongly recommend anyone reading these comments give the rest of it a listen. Like me, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Chris Farlowe has one of those great voices anyway and here he lets rip on three or four outstanding numbers.

ps. I paid less than £2 (used, incl.p&p) and I'm still smiling.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 6 January 2016
I've recieved this CD but it's got eleven tracks, not the number quoted, or many of the songs listed. Still on the Tring label, same cover but a bit strange having different tracks than I expected. Still OK but not what I thought it would be front the Amazon site.
on 1 August 2013
I bought this CD for 1 song - Out Of Time, which was Chris' biggest hit. I often do this if I like a song & the disc is cheap enough to justify it, which this was. The other songs on the album are ok, but some I just didn't know or like!....