5.0 out of 5 stars He was never out of touch
Published on 1 Sept. 2011 by Dangerous Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant artist
I cannot disagree with the other reviews who praise the voice and delivery of Chris Farlowe. The trouble is that like many artists he had a couple of outstanding tracks alongside a greater number of easily forgettable weak output.

The Classics such as Out of Time and Handbags and Glad rags are in a class of their own, but much of the rest deserves little...
Published 11 months ago by Gerald L

5.0 out of 5 stars He was never out of touch, 1 Sept. 2011
Dangerous Dave (Berkhamsted, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Chris Farlowe was simply THE UK white soul singer cum blues shouter. No one came near apart from possibly Winwood who moved into different pastures with Traffic, or Fame who was always more jazz and Mose Allison inclined. Along with Georgie he was the man with the residency at the hip Flamingo club famed for jazz blues crossover music. He was the man who Sue records turned to take on the role of the pseudonymous blues singer Little Joe Cook on that marvellous "Stormy Monday". He was the man Jagger produced singing Mick'n'Keef material, gaining a huge hit with "Out of Time". The full results of Chris' recording career at Immediate are contained in this two volume set and to say it's marvellous is a massive understatement.

The range on the album is immense; from predictable soul covers like Otis Redding's "Mr Pitful" and a superbly arranged, "I've been loving you too long", to much less predictable jazz covers like "Moanin'" (of which we get two versions), from a host of Stones covers at which he was uniformly excellent - he really had a way with Jagger/Richards songs, to big, and I mean big, ballads like a "Handbags and Gladrags" which wipes the floor with other versions, from good old rock'n'roll - checkout Fats Domino's "My Girl Josephine" and "The Fool" to an inspired version of Bob Dylan's "It's all over Baby Blue" - a song that's been covered by many but few so successfully.

As for personal favourites, I've so many it's difficult to know where to start. "Paint it Black" has to be in there - I always loved the Stones original but this one stands proudly alongside it with Chis giving his utmost as usual and a manic eastern cum east European, I don't know what, brassy knockout arrangement behind him. Then there's Chris's take on Sanford Clark's "The Fool" - this one's almost a different song from the original, the backing is so strong. But occasionally he toned down the arrangement to more of his club sound as in his own "Treat her Good" which is actually Roy Head's "Treat her right" under a different name but still with that insane rhythm. I'm also partial to Chris' version of the oldie "Summertime", a song that seems to inspire good versions (I've always treasured the Gene Vincent one). And there's "Out of time" itself of course but where do I stop...

I should more than mention that the backing, whether it's just the Thunderbirds or a full orchestra is uniformly excellent often with quite inspired arrangements. Even when said backing is ridiculously strong it doesn't overpower Chris' own awesome voice. The fact that Chris never went on to superstardom unlike some of his compatriots like a certain Mr Stewart, is an unfortunate fact of history but at least we are left with this great legacy.

A splendid set without a duff track in it. It's also an instant guide to the hipper side of the 60's.

As a postscript I would add that I always saw Chris as a UK version of Texas R&B man Roy Head - see reference earlier to "Treat her good/right". Both were blue eyed soul shouters, both were one hit wonders (more or less), both were essentially bar or club performers rather than concert hall artists, both put out R&B flavoured material but could perform ballads without stretching unduly - Head could do a nice line in country soul. While what little we have of Roy Head's output is mainly in a funky vein unlike much of this set, Chris Farlowe's club performance was almost all up-tempo R&B with very few ballads (if any) - I still remember his version of Rufus Thomas' "The Dog" well before I knew such a record existed, I'd only heard "Walking the Dog" at that time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undeservedly Underrated, 7 Nov. 2004
Wow. This guy is fantastic. Possibly one of the finest voices of all time, which is backed up by the songs to match.
Everything about this album is near perfect. As good as Farlowes voice is, for much of the songs, its the backing band the Thunderbirds who steal the show. This is most certainly the case for my pick of the album, Headlines, a wonderfully upbeat track. I love listening to this one just before i head out anywhere, puts me in a great mood!
Poor Chris, as good as he and his band were, he just could not get the chart success that they deserved. One of the biggest musical tragedies of all time, as it means that so few will get to marvel at the brilliance which is a shame. So dont be one of those who do miss out, buy this now!
It is unlikely that you are reading this having never heard of Chris Farlowe, so you must therefore have heard something by him (Out of TIme most likely, a no. 1 hit). So your probably looking at this wondering if hes a one hit wonder with two disks of average filler! Well let me tell you now, I was in the same possition a couple months ago. I took the risk and bought it, and am now ecstatic that I did! One of the best tenners I ever spent. So if your unsure, the take the same risk I did and be pleased that you did!
My personal picks are Headlines, Out of Time, Ride On Baby, The Fool and It Was Easier To Hurt Her.
Hope this helped

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of the top drawer, 16 Oct. 2008
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Out Of Time (Audio CD)
Never a pin-up, Chris Farlowe's commercial standing failed to match his critical success. This compilation of mid-1960s songs consists of booming, brassy soul-inflected r&b. His version of 'Satisfaction' comes across with the same ardour as a Stax soul track by Pickett or Redding, both of whom also have songs represented here. There are four Jagger/Richards songs in all, including Farlowe's no.1, 'Out Of Time'. His impassioned growl never lets up and by the standards of the time these recordings can boast a pretty dense sound. My favourite track here is Farlowe's own 'North, South, East, West' which is both fast and heavy and features some breathless bass drum work. Farlowe depended mostly on outside material and at least half of the songs are better-known by other artists, but it's hard to fault any of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated magic, 17 May 2008
T. D. Welsh (Basingstoke, Hampshire UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Out Of Time (Audio CD)
Chris Farlowe at his best was truly world class. The classic illustration of this is the title track "Out of Time", one of the very best rock songs of the 1960s, which made a deep impression on everyone who heard it. It wasn't often that someone else produced a comparable cover version almost at the same time as the Stones, but to my taste Farlowe's "Out of Time" is clearly superior to theirs. For once, Mick Jagger is comprehensively outsung, even though the Stones' "Out of Time" is also very good indeed. Kudos to Jagger for the help he gave Farlowe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chris Farlowe - An Underated Genius, 19 Sept. 2003
D. Harris "Dapper Dave" (London) - See all my reviews
This collection covers all the Immediate tracks polished up and sounding better than ever. It is strange to think that a man with so many great recordings and one of the best voices the UK has produced has had such little commercial success.
Here is your chance to catch up with one of the greats.

5.0 out of 5 stars top value cd, 1 July 2009
Mr. W. R. Taylor "Billy Taylor "ovation"" (Berwick upon Tweed) - See all my reviews
bought farlowes think albumn when first released so it is great to have it plus all the other tracks 49 in all on c.d.Seen him recently on stage and stll sounds brilliant.One of the best voices ever.Scarlet

4.0 out of 5 stars In time for me!, 25 Sept. 2009
Mr. Paul Edwards "edzeleven" (Leics. UK.) - See all my reviews
this compilation is about all the Chris Farlow you'll ever need; it makes a good listen for those of us of an age to remember these tracks; plus for those who've never listened before it makes a fantastic intro . . . I wish I'd bought this many years ago as there are many songs here I've never heard before; well worth a listen!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Out of Time: the Immediate Anthology, 1 Aug. 2013
I bought this CD for 1 song - Out Of Time, which was Chris' biggest hit. I often do this if I like a song & the disc is cheap enough to justify it, which this was. The other songs on the album are ok, but some I just didn't know or like!....

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Farlowe, 3 Nov. 2009
Mr. R. Shelvey (London England) - See all my reviews
I saw Chris in Concert recently at Croydon (England) Fairfield Halls and he was amazing!! His voice has not changed over the years! Just listen to Yesterday (A Beatles Hit and one of my favourites) and all his soulful numbers which are so haunting and wonderful. A must for all ages to enjoy or use as research to find out what where his music and talent came from and why he still performs; "I will sing as long as people want me to sing"! Amazon is a safe way to buy too! Ron.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five star performance, 21 Sept. 2010
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Why was this man never a huge commercial success? He has one of the best voices and the material is superb, and no-one could put it over like Chris. I'm clearing out my collection of CD's but playing this again, it's definitely here to stay. If you appreciate a good voice - listen to Chris.

Out Of Time
Out Of Time by Chris Farlowe (Audio CD - 2008)