5.0 out of 5 stars A fabulous continuation of the first epic album+Bonus tracks, 1 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
The second part of the groundbreaking Keeper Of The Seven Keys! Now EXPANDED, containing 3 must-have Bonus Tracks and Remastered, providing an improved sound quality to the original release of 1988.

To be fair (without being influenced by the love and respect I have for this album) PartII wasn't as good as the first one, but it came pretty close and was also longer in length. Nevertheless, Keeper II is a record containing some of the most known power metal songs ever! The album continues with the same energy and atmosphere as PartI but with the majority of the songwriting coming from guitarist Weikath and a slightly more commercial feel. All in all a wonderful conclusion to the first part.

"Eagle Fly Free" is considered to be the best power metal song ever written. It is a fast paced number with thundering drums and comprises of dual guitar solos, melodic vocals and both a bass and a drum solo. "Dr. Stein" contains a wonderful driving guitar riff and is a melodic, funny (lyrics) and catchy heavy metal song. "March Of Time" is a technical, melodic and strong speed metal tune with an addictive and epic chorus. "I Want Out" is a catchy heavy metal song with a strong chorus that fulfills its purpose. "We Got The Right" is a strong power-ballad where Michael Kiske shines the most, delivering a breathtaking performance filled with melodic and high-pitched vocals.

The progressive title track is a musical journey into a fantasy world and a battle between good and evil. A balladry intro, a melodic chorus, many guitar solos, tempo changes, brilliant twin-guitar passages, one of Kiske's most varying and powerful vocal performances and an epic ending round off this 13 and a half minute song. Overall Keeper has some magnificent ideas but it sadly can't surpass the masterpiece "Halloween" from the previous album. "Save Us" is the perfect speed metal closer with some amazing guitar solos, intense drumming and an excellent Michael Kiske.

Musically the album is characterized by mid-tempo and fast double-bass drumming, melodic and speed metal riffs, mindblowing guitar solos, excellent bass lines and outstanding vocals.

The production is slightly better than the first part, as the album sounds tighter and kind of clearer. The band sounds a bit tighter too compared to their previous release. Michael Kiske has surely glued in the band and his charismatic voice gives you the chills throughout the whole album (he sings higher than ever, hitting all possible notes with great precision)!

The only minor drawbacks are the track "Rise and Fall" which cannot by any means be considered a bad song, but doesn't seem to fit here...and the fact that most of the song writing was done by Michael Weikath, who is an exceptional songwriter and guitarist but not as good as Kai Hansen.

Bonus Tracks "Livin Ain't No Crime" and "Savage" are the best of the bunch. The first is a catchy and optimistic melodic metal tune and the second follows a trash metal approach and is the fastest track on the album.

This is a classic and groundbreaking record in the history shelves of metal, together with part I. A source of inspiration and influence to countless bands to follow. This is also the last chapter in the Hansen - Helloween (80's) glorious era, from where onwards the band went downhill (in my opinion).

A MUST HAVE for any power/speed,heavy metal and open-minded hard rock fan.

(Be sure to check out "Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part I" and "I Want Out: Live")

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best power metal albums EVER, 13 Nov 2005
Ms. C. A. Cooper "Chrissay" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was completely thrilled after just hearing the first couple of tracks on this album. Every track on this album is greatly anticipated and each individual track has a particular aspect about it which makes it completely amazing. Kiske's vocals are absolutely phenomenal, a fantastic range and his power to hold on notes intensely e.g in Eagle Fly Free just sounds so unebelievable to be true! Rise and Fall is a very uplifting track, again with the cheery and bright vocals of Kiske which is entertaining and both mature at the same time. The Keeper of the Seven Keys is a wonderfully constructed epic and the outro is beautifully complacent and inspired. I love this album and it is very close to my heart. You will never regret buying this if you are a power metal fan who loves albums oozing with talent and rich exhuberant power metal vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all round classic!, 5 Aug 2009
L. Madhavan "The Celestial Toymaker" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
Those who are not familiar with Helloween or even the Power Metal genre in general should buy this album. The Keeper of the Seven Keys set of albums had set the benchmark to which all Power Metal albums should be judged by. Every so often an album is released that pushes the bar on what we consider to be quality to a new level. This is such an album. The Keeper of the Seven Keys Part Two is definitely Helloween's magnum opus. Every track is brimming with energy. From the rebellious rock of `I Want Out', humorous overtones of `Rise and Fall' and horror homage in `Dr. Stein' to the mellow moments of `March of Time' and `We Got the Right' all of which are bookended with two epic masterpiece in the form of `Eagle Fly Free' and `Keeper of the Seven Keys', though the later track is mistakenly placed moved back to track nine instead serving as the albums swansong track in special edition release. At just under 5 this special edition CD complete with bonus disc is great value for money. One of the greatest albums of all time. Get it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars power metal at its original and best, 17 Jan 2006
This is one of my five favourite albums of all time. I am a big helloween fan of course, but I have a fairly broad taste in rock music. I first heard this album when I was sixteen and it absolutely blew me away, I still love it as much today (ten years later!). If you like iron maiden or other "power metal" albums you will love this.
This album (along with walls of jericho and keeper part 1) spawned a new race of high energy melodic metal bands but none quite reach the unabashed sheer epicness of this rare gem. The twin guitar harmonies, speeding drums and soaring warbling vocals grab you instantly. Most of all the best thing about the album (arguably as opposed to keeper 1) is that every single song on this album is a classic, with the quality of the songs getting better and better towards the end of the record climaxing with the 13 minutes plus title track at the end!
I can not rate this album highly enough, I will still be headbanging to it in my rocking chair when Im old and grey Im sure!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece., 28 Sep 2011
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
Helloweens' Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II was the pinnacle of their speed metal works. For my money after they toured this record they started a downward decline and just never recovered. A shame really as this album is a masterpiece and the perfect partner to its slightly older brother but better in every way.

Better songs and better production values mean this album soars from album opener Eagle Fly Free, still one of my favourite metal songs ever, through Dr Stein, I Want Out, March of Time and the astonishing title tune Keeper of the Seven Keys which is just a metal EPIC in every sense of the word.

I bought this in 1988 and its still a top drivin in the car album today! And with this new edition we even get the 3 bonus songs which I only had on my Helloween singles B sides years ago. great to hear them clear as a bell.

After this Helloween signed to a major label and released the quite ludicrously titled Pink Bubbles Go Ape with the embarassingly titled song Heavy Metal Hamsters on it. It was never this good again.

But Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II is ESSENTIAL!!!!

especially at 4!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Part 2 of a masterpiece, 6 Mar 2014
Shawn Hosmer "deadman" (hurstpieroint west sussrex. uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
an essential addition to any rivetheads collection, especially if you own part 1.
Helloween keep up the assault gathered from part one

5.0 out of 5 stars helloween, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
same as my reviw ov keeper part one if you like this stuff buy it keeper 2 is as good as keeper 1 great anthemic and thrashy metal at its best will never age nige

5.0 out of 5 stars Helloween - Keeper part 2 - epic album, 18 Jan 2014
D. Kochanik "self-student" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
I grew up with that album from my early young hood and had the casette with the Helloween '85 album on the side B. I must have heard the tape thousand times as I was a fan of the band for over five years heavily as very young. So it stuck in head deeply, and even now sometimes I have to play it. It brings the memory of sweet childhood(I mean before puberty).

Along with first part, this is the first album with Micheal Kiske as singer. And best one as well - in my opinion. Of course, all the other albums are good, I think it's only about which one becomes the favorite one. I kept collecting about first ten album, then I other things became important in life. Now I have most of them in my music player just in case. Both parts were recorded roughly at the same time, and it was thought from beginnig to release a double album. This was denied by record company, so albums went separately, one after another.

There is quite a history around the band, which was denied touring and recording for some while, because two record companies couldn't reach the agreement for years. Nasty history, hopefuly stays a history. The band is releasing and touring for quite a while back again. A number of new albums were released, and the line-up of the band changed a couple of times as well.

When it comes to singers, Kai Hansen sang from begining as a co-founder of the band. Then after some disagreements with the other band members he left and started a band called Gamma Ray (reaching also a great success). Then Michael Kiske sang for a while and for a number of albums. Then Andi Deris took the mic since '93 to present. The death of drumer Ingo Schwitenberg is another sad story around the band, but long history now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as my vinyl copy, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
What's to say... Amazing! just as good as I remember from the days of vinyl. Kids love some of the songs too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as I remebered, 13 May 2013
Lindroth Patrik "Book man" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II (Audio CD)
Long time ago since I listened to them but it is just as good as I remembered from my younger days int he 80's.

Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II
Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II by Helloween (Audio CD - 2008)