on 27 May 2013
The Bolshoi in Moscow and the Kirov in St Petersburg can always be relied upon to provide traditional stagings with excellent sets and magnificent costumes. This DVD of Boris Godunov is just one of my growing number of Russian Operas and Ballets. The operas have magnificent soloists and choruses and the ballets have superb dancers.
on 5 June 2016
The strongest point of this production is the set, or rather the sets, there are 9 of them in the various locations and the artwork and props are particularly impressive.
Following closely are the costumes brilliant jewelled clothes for the elite, and plain but appropriate for the serfs and citizens. There are an awful lot of them.
The sound quality is top notch, with balance being slightly on the side of the singers.
The singers are all fine but only one hit my ears as being exceptional, and that is Alexander Fedin in the minor role of the idiot in act three. He is a remarkably clear high tenor.
The picture quality is as you would expect for 1987 rather blurred at the edges, this is not so noticeable in close-up.
I must admit that this is not my favourite story, as it seems rather disjointed, but that is not the directors fault.
The actual music is great, Mussorgsky as enhanced by Rimsky, works very well.
What information there is about the production is either on the back sleeve, or the internal sleeve with just brief scene descriptions on one side and musical sections on the other.
I have only seen one other performance and that was "the met" on sky arts, it is not available on DVD as far as I can make out, but in any case there are a wide selection of versions.
on 26 April 2015
A very Russian tale but slightly disappointingly presented considering this is the Bolshoi. I'd expected a bit more magic with the scenery and the choral stuff was a bit stilted. Loved the tavern scene though.

Not as dramatic as I'd expected.
on 3 December 2013
Fantastic costumes, and scenography, beautilful choir singning and lovely voices! There is a nerve you feel through most of the performance.
on 26 June 2016
As I am sure this production was staged as I am sure it should be.