on 9 February 2007
This game is what many see as a perfect strategy game-but it is not just that that makes this game so special...

The graphics are very good, and rival some of the games that require a powerful graphics card. The manufacturers of this game are also very reliable, and the game is very easy to install.

When playing the game, there are thousands of different maps and cities that can be played, as well as the trusty historical campaign which is not only fun but also very educational, without even trying to be.

The game is interactive, and it is up to the player who does what in their city--campaigns can also be created for a friend or the player themselves, using the Campaign Creator, and there is also a fun factor of being able to play multiplayer against others either via a LAN or the internet.

In conclusion, a powerful game which before long becomes very addictive!
on 9 January 2011
this is a game everyone enjoys, with beautiful graphics and well thought-out details of a historical chinese city. It's quite old but in this case that doesn't take away from the visual impact. The sound track and effects are also quite good.

We love this so much I am buying another copy, as the cd got scratched and although it still plays it won't install. This is a game everyone wants on their computer so much!

If you like city building games, or you are looking for something to buy the kids that they might learn something from, buy this game. It's packed with detail about ancient china!
on 10 July 2014
I really enjoying playing this game. While it is old now, it's got a lot of playability to it and the style of the game means graphics won't bother you. If you're a fan of Pharaoh (like I am), you'll find this an enjoyable update as the logic within the game improves. You no longer have to build housing next to buildings to keep them staffed, instead you create a residential square with certainly gives that East Asian feel. Gods have been replaced by religious heroes and ancestors, who actually appear in the game and serve benefits e.g acting as an soldier or herbalist to improve city safety and conditions. Difficulty wise the game is about on par with Pharaoh and a lot easier than the challenging Caesar!

Generally, the game isn't too different from Sierra's previous games and there's nothing necessarily remarkable about it, but instead it serves a brilliantly-polished game with new expansive campaigns and trials. Definitely recommended if you want to kill some time on a good game or loved Pharaoh.
on 8 June 2014
I've had the game since 2005. The beauty of this game is the variables of the custom maps (stand alone maps aside from the campaigns) some of which will be deleted if you update the game (List of deleted maps available on request). Do not always settle for the initial crops selection, as, if you return to the custom maps screen and reselect the same map, the crops will change. Key crops are wheat & cabbage, as there is 1 month between the harvest of wheat and the growing of cabbage (see electronic manual included on the disc).

My reason for purchasing a 2nd copy, is so that I can revue past game saves (for housing layout's etc) on my XP PC and replay the campaigns on W8 with minimal need to return to the start, as was the case with Zeus. Unlike Zeus & Poseidon and Pharaoh, for that matter, the monuments in Emperor are both of reasonable size and quite aesthetic.
on 20 January 2013
I've always loved this game, and I lost my last copy through moving house. Lo and behold, someone actually still had it on Amazon :D

Shiny Chinese city/empire-sim, it's got a great tutorial for the newbs and it's generally very fun :)

Delivered nice and promptly, too!
VINE VOICEon 27 June 2011
This is one of the best city/empire build games I have played. It works along the lines of Pharoah but I find the game playing to be more fun with this game. The graphics are good for a city build with all the quirky little jokes you expect - with curses that dragon's eat up nasty landlords and kids playing with yoyos.

The challenges are well structured to allow you to develop your understanding of the menus as the games develop without introducing you to too much in one go.

Plenty of asides to remember in this game - not least appeasingthe goods with offerings or you will face earthquakes and floods.

Go on - see if you can rule the middle kingdom!
on 17 April 2012
Ive had the game since release (2003'ish) but i had a PC which couldn't run it- fast forward a few years (2005'ish)i managed to get it running on my new Pc and have been hooked ever since! This is probably the best game out of the Sierra 'city-builder generation' for me as; its set in China and as im not really interested in Greece and the gods etc this appeals to me, the game also has 2d graphics and Sprites which bring character into the game, along with the economy system and music! I can't see how a 3d version of this game could be any better put it that way!
on 19 April 2012
Addictive and fun but sometimes confusing as hell. It does give training instructions most of the time but sometimes you're kinda left to fumble in the dark, but because I played Ceasar 3 before this, I understand the basic concept so I managed to figure things out.

Graphic I find charming, even if they are a bit dated, but if I can enjoy DS graphis, I sure as hell won't mind these graphics.

One of the better civillisation build sim game.
on 2 July 2013
Brilliant game, even a good 8 or so years after its release the game mechanics and quests are challenging and fun, I spent hours building up my city, it hasn't disappointed in comparison to the expectations I had after playing Pharaoh also by Sierra which was great to.
Only thing it doesn't automatically stretch to a larger width screen bu that's not that important.
on 26 December 2007
This game was very cheap to buy and that was a while back, so I assumed that it was going to be rather dated and not all it seemed. It turned out to be the complete opposite, yes the graphics aren't what you'd expect in comparison to new consoles and games, but they're not awful, like some similar titles I could mention. There is a lot to do here and it's quite complex, but after a while, you will lose yourself in this one.