5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive, brilliant and moving interpretations - buy it!, 3 April 2010
Ms. R. L. A. Amelan "Rachel" (Wilmslow, Cheshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Alfred Brendel plays Schubert (Audio CD)
Firstly, I must make a confession - as far as I am concerned, Brendel, as a pianist, can do no wrong. I am a huge fan. I also have fond memories of his enormous humility that date back to a private encounter many years ago.

These are beautiful interpretations of some of the finest music in the piano repertoire: they are also taken from live performances complete with shuffling and coughing, which actually makes them all the more compelling. These are all well-known pieces, save one (the D840 sonata in C)and this was a delightful discovery - what a shame Schubert never got around to finishing it.

These sonatas make for an extraordinary listening experience. There is the D784 with its strong and really quite threatening first movement and beautiful final passages expressing such violent longing, and the D894 a real favourite of mine with an exquisite and sensitive interpretation. I could go on but the music just speaks for itself and I can contribute very little in comparison.

If this is your first experience of Schubert's sonatas, you are in for a real treat and I rather envy you. Each listening yields that little bit more in the way of insight and offers even greater treasures: this recording will serve you well in this respect for Brendel is a hugely gifted interpreter. For those who know these pieces rather better, this disc will not disappoint - I simply cannot understand why I am the first to review it!

5.0 out of 5 stars great set, 26 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Alfred Brendel plays Schubert (Audio CD)
Al's Schubert has always been among the greatest readings,and to have these personally chosen by the artist is very welcome.
Although the playing is not effortful,for the first time ever,I appreciate the effort involved in both composing and playing these masterworks,maybe because of the live recording,somehow both hands sound more audible to me than usual--not a smooth studio set,then,but something transcending that environment to give(to me,anyway)a fuller appreciation of music that I've lived with for years.
Bravo!

Alfred Brendel plays Schubert
Alfred Brendel plays Schubert by Alfred Brendel (Audio CD - 2006)