4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful.
Just saw this on the TV over Christmas, and I have to say it was a wonderful and uplifting film - yet a tearjerker too. A magical delight. The acting was excellent (such big stars yet a film I've never heard of?) and everyone was perfectly cast. A seemingly high end production. It would make a lovely Christmas present for someone - definitely one to buy.
Published on 30 Dec. 2008 by Varied Read

Susan is an excellent actor in this and the movie isn't afraid to show real human reactions and emotions properly.
Susan show's the character's vulnerabilities very well and the movie faces it head on.
Published on 20 Nov. 2011 by Mr. Mar D. Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 30 Dec. 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Film.., 3 Jan. 2011
S. E. Wainwright (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
I'm a Robin William's fan and thought this was a change from the type of comedy he usually does.

The film its self was nothing spectacular, but had a nice Christmassy feel about it, not too sweet and I liked the fact that the main character knew that her Christmas was going to be spent at the hospital as usual with her Mother, who had Alzheimers.
It was the case of a woman, who basically was at the end of her tether, and who was 'rescued' from herself, by an 'Angel' in the form of a dying patient, but you dont discover this until towards the end of the film. Its nice in the fact, that she discovers that there is some hope for her personal life, as the film comes to a close..

3.0 out of 5 stars There are considerably better christmas movies, but still good., 20 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
As a movie nerd I chase after movies that can draw emotion from my cold dead heart(joke) and this movie actually got me to draw a few involuntary tears before I wiped them away claiming I had something in my eye.

On the other side of this Paul walker and Penelope Cruz come off as very unbelievable, paul walker might as well be a cardboard cut out of himself he is so stiff and Penelope seems to just be filler with a poets' book in her mouth. Sure this is a christmas movie but it can still have good acting in it aside from Susan S. and Robin Williams. (Oh and I haven't mentioned anything about Robin Williams because he's a story plot and don't want to spoil anything.)

3 stars. Good to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon, if it happens to be on and you're not doing anything else, but don't go out of your way to buy it or anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming, haunting, magical, romantic, funny- a brilliant Christmas film!, 6 Dec. 2009
James Michael Smith (Newcastle, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
Just watched this film last night, and I loved it so much I felt the need to tell people! I've only ever written one other review for amazon, but the fact that no one seems to have heard of this film, coupled with the fact that its so good, made me write this!

Noel is a drama film, with moments of comedy. It tells the story of 6 interconnected individuals (a plot device which seems to be increasingly common, as seen in Crash) who are brought into and out of each others lives one Christmas eve in a series of completely random but fairly convincing scenarios. It's a very touching film with plenty of emotional moments- yes, you will cry! There are some truly beautiful and haunting moments that really have stayed with me all day today. But there are also some humourous moments! Some of them I'm not even really sure exactly what they meant, but that adds to the magic of this film. Add to the excellent plot the fact that Susan Sarandon, Penelope Cruz and Paul Walker all put in excellent performanes and are all highly watchable, the fact that the film simply LOOKS wonderful and features a fantastic soundtrack, and you see why I liked this film so mnuch!

All in all a wonderful seasonal film.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOEL, 30 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
Anything with Susan Sarandon is always worth watching and being seasonal was very tempting. I wasn't disappointed,clearly a festive ghost story with a modern edge. Starring alongside Robin Williams and Penelope Cruz,not to mention other fine supporting actors,this is a tale about the true meaning of Christmas,giving of yourself without expecting anything in return!
Watch out for those tears,keep your tissues ready,but you will come away smiling. Definately one to bring out every December,or any time you need to be reminded of the goodness in people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas is obviously a time of miracles in Noel., 6 Nov. 2005
With its unabashed melodrama, it's hokey premise and contrived plot; it's hard to imagine that Noel has anything going for it. It's such a thick and gooey slice of holiday bunkum and it's hard to understand why an estimable actor like Chazz Palminteri chose David Hubbard's awkward script for his directing debut. On the up side, however, Palminteri is able to draw some very fine performances from his cast – which actually makes Noel worth watching.
Set in New York on Christmas Eve, Noel follows a disparate group of lonely souls, whose lives will eventually intersect. Susan Sarandon is a middle-aged workaholic book editor, a man-shy divorcée who desperately tries to communicate with her mother who is in the final stages of Alzheimer's. Gorgeous office worker Nina (Penélope Cruz) and her strapping, hunky taxi driver fiancé, Mike (Paul Walker), are madly in love, but Mike's jealousy – he breaks out into fits of rage when another man even looks at her - threatens to derail their relationship.
Alan Arkin is a diner employee who in turn is convinced that his late wife's spirit has entered Mike's body - his first encounter with Mike where he offers him some butter cookies is one of the best scenes in the film. In the most thankless role, Marcus Thomas is a young man whose childhood was so brutal that the only happy Christmas he ever had was when family violence sent him to a hospital.
The various stories swirl together, some drifting into the realm of the supernatural and others into the more prosaically therapeutic. But Mr. Palminteri's direction is often choppy, giving no spin or shape to the complex structure. And his message is constantly hammered at us, that Christmas is the perfect time to reach out and touch someone - even if that someone isn't there.
The drama unfolds on an especially emotional and opportune cold winter's eve, and as we watch these people find the resolutions to their problems, the means with which they do this occasionally rings silly, but because the actors and the director seem to have so much faith and belief in there material, we’re mostly able to accept the preposterous turns of events and roll with it.
The extras include interviews with the director and the cast, where Sarandon and Walker comment that the film is destined to become a holiday classic. Well, that's a bit of a stretch, but Noel does represent some of Cruz's and Walker's very best acting, with Walker's final encounter with Arkin taking a surprisingly poignant and heart rendering turn.
Just when we’ve suffered through another cloying cliché, we find ourselves deeply touched by Walker’s beautifully realized character. And Sarandon is so vulnerable that when she is startled to find Robin Williams - or, rather, his mysterious character - sitting next to her mother’s hospital room, she aptly conveys the tone of the movie – the miracles do happen, even if, in this movie, they're sometimes put to a pretty severe test. Mike Leonard November 05.

2.0 out of 5 stars "Really depressing", 12 Dec. 2011
Maggie O'Reilly (halesowen, west midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
We bought this for our family to watch during Advent. Mum, Dad, ad two kids aged 12 and 14. We settled down with the ole popcorn to watch. After the first quarter of the film the children began muttering....to which I replied that I was sure it would soon get better, and some films are slow to warm up. By the half way mark, hubby was sighing and the children were using words like "depressing" and "losing the will to live". After having read the reviews here I assured them that I was sure it would perk up, but I was beginning to have my doubts. Three quarters of the way through I was in full agreement with the rest of the family about the awfulness of this film, and from then on it was an open insult-fest until the end, which was utterly predictable and anti-climactic.

One of the children said "Imagine if we'd watched this on Christmas Eve?!?!?! How depressed would we all be when we went to bed?!?!?" I had to agree.

This might be enjoyable to some, but it's not for family viewing - at least not if you want to enjoy yourselves, have a laugh or be imbued with Christmas magic. Great acting, but a bad script.

2.0 out of 5 stars So depressing!!, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this movie based on all the good reviews. I watched it with a friend to get into the Christmas mood - what a wrong choice!
It was so depressing and I had to watch another movie to cheer myself up!
It starts off really slow and you are willing for something lovely and sentimental to happen - isn't that what Christmas movies are all about?
So disappointed as this film has such a great cast. It definately won't be a film I will watch year after year!

3.0 out of 5 stars Alnmost As-Expected Festive Fare, 4 Jan. 2010
Michael May "mikemayuk" (Worksop, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
Pull Susan and Robin (they spend so much time in my living room, I feel I know them personally) out of this film and there's really not a lot left. Susan gets one great line when competing for a why-I-hate-Christmas trophy in a bar but the best piece of acting somes from her dear old mum, who doesn't have a single line and is on screen for about two minutes in all. It should have been better, but given that at Christmas we'll watch any schmaltzy old garbage and enjoy it enormously, this was a pretty good buy for us.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slitting your wrists this Chritmas?, 7 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Noel [DVD] (DVD)
About as much festive cheer as a plate of cold Brussels sprouts. What a miserable, depressing film!

Noel [DVD]
Noel [DVD] by Chazz Palminteri (DVD - 2005)