Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 February 2006
I saw the show in London in early February, mainly because I loved the movie and am an old fan of Elton John. But even non-fans will probably react as I did. The show was terrific and won me over in leaps and bounds; I'd love to see it a couple more times (and I frankly don't care much for musicals, with this surprising exception). The cast recording is hugely effective in recreating the play you've seen, and, I imagine, anticipating the one you have yet to see or may never see. The biggest surprise, however, is Elton's music, which really does not make a big splash at first listen--those who have criticized it have surely not given it time to grow on them. But grow it does! It invades and overwhelms you by repeated ambush if you hear it over and over again. This is, after all, what recorded music is all about, and recorded musicals, I suppose, as well.
on 14 December 2005
Billy Elliot is a heart-warming tale of a boy struggle. After making a hit in the world of film, Billy Elliot took the theatres by storm, and now there is a cast recording from the musical. Liam Mower sings the part of Billy on the CD and it features some of the best songs from the show. You can hear snippets from the CD on the official site.
If you haven't seen the musical, then its well worth going to see. I feel it the tops Blood Brothers, Lion King, Phantom of the Opera and many more hit shows. Buy the CD, it will be money well spent.
on 17 March 2006
When I first saw the film I thought it was a great movie and loved the music in it!! I have now been lucky enough to see the Musical in the West End of London - and, in my opinion, it is twice as good as the film!!... The show is non stop tapping from beginning to end with great acting and superb music!! The music is fresh and vibrant, funny and emotional and just great to listen to again and again!!
As soon as the CD became available, I bought it and began listening to it straight away!! I have to agree with other comments made that it just grows and grows and grows on you. Any one who loves the film will love the CD from the Musical version.
on 18 January 2006
Hi from Australia! Well, hearing that BE was hitting the stage, and having purchased Elton's 'Electricity' CD single, when I saw the cast recording available - that was it! As an aussie who is unlikely to get to the UK to see the show live, this is a moving CD that took me on an emotional (even tearful) journey...raising the hairs on the back of my neck. If only I could see the real deal - must be awesome!! So, I'll close my eyes, and play it again!
on 11 February 2006
I'm lucky enough to have gone to the west end musical, and i cannot begin to describe how amazing it is. The acting is breathtaking, but the music is just indescribable. I've been to many West End shows, including Phantom of the Opera and Lion King, but in my opinion, none have songs so emotional and beautiful is these.
I went to see the show two months ago, and i still haven't got over just how spectacular it was.
This music is among the best in the world. You're missing out if you don't buy it.
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2005
Billy Elliot is like no other stage musical. Adapted from the film, it's the story of how one boy, against all the odds, achieves his dream. He's at the heart of the story of course, but the bitter miner's strike of 1984 permeates everything. Some listeners will be too young to remember the battle between the working class mining communities and Mrs. Thatcher's government, which as Lee Hall (writer of the lyrics) comments, was at times 'like civil war'.
So this is an overtly political musical. But the humour of the film is carried over to the stage play. Billy asks his grandmother, in 'Grandma's Song', what his grandfather was like. Ah, she answers, 'He was a .....complete bastard!'. 'Merry Christmas Margaret Thatcher' may be a bit strong for some, but it has to be viewed in context. It's sung by the wageless miners at what passes for their Christmas 'do'; their community is being destroyed. This at a time when parts of Britain were doing very well, thankyou.
I was lucky enough to attend the second evening preview of the show. Billy was played by Liam Mower, who sings the part of Billy on this CD, including 'Electricity'- a real show stopper. There is the hilarious 'Expressing Yourself' with Billy's young gay friend Michael (played here by Brad Kavanagh). The opening ensemble 'The Stars Shine Down' is a stirring piece of solidarity. There is this constant tension between social disharmony, and Billy's feelings expressed through dance. This is what makes this musical so exceptional. Not surprisingly, all the performers are utterly committed.
Of course, the CD only gives half the story; what we really need is a DVD of the show.
But meanwhile we have the CD. I would have liked some notes on the history of the show in the booklet (although it does give full credits). Also I would have liked to hear some of Tchaikovsky's 'Swan Lake' ballet, which forms a crucial part at the centre of the show. Still, these are minor niggles.
Buy this CD as a superb souvenir of the show. And if you haven't seen it- for goodness' sake go!
on 29 December 2005
Wow - this just reminds me of being in the theatre. Brought back all the emotions and drama of the theatre show. Great for those who have seen the show and a must for those who have not!
on 22 February 2009
I can't stop playing this CD. I went to see Billy Elliot at the theatre and was absolutely amazed. I LOVED it!! It's unfortunate that there isn't a show DVD available to buy. This is the next best thing. Music is great and gets me singing along. Definitely worth buying.
on 21 May 2010
Billy Elliott.
We had been to see the Musical a month ago in London and were blown away with how great it really was.
I purchased the CD after reading the reviews.
It arrived before due date.
I have it in the car and play it over and over and can't say I am bored of it. It just gets better and better with each play.
A couple of the songs have the odd swear words but it is fully in keeping with the subject matter. The only reason that I can think of that it not being played more on the radio etc are that there are Political stances which may not be to everyone's liking. Anyone who has seen the film will know what I mean.
My advice is don't wait, buy it today, you won't be disappointed.
on 26 November 2005
I am writing this review before it has actually been released but i have been to see this original production of Billy Elliot and it is amazing. Musically Elton John has created a wonderful score, which touches on such different types of music, inspiring anthems to powerful choral numbers and dazzling show tunes. The original Billy Elliot writer Lee Hall has come together and created some tremendous lyrics which make you laugh, cry and smile at the trauma and delight that young Billy goes through. This is truly an amazing musical and it has you leaving the theatre '...flying like a bird' im sure the Original cast album will have you doing the same!