My daughter aged 8yrs decided that she wanted to learn to play the guitar a couple of mnths ago. The middle of October (last month) we bought her one. Suprised to see how she could manage the frets she now has lessons at school, sadly it appears for this yr. only.
Published on 21 Nov 2007 by A Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of the book...
I bought this DVD along with the Guitar for Dummies book.
Published on 19 Nov 2007 by Benjamin Bass

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant... For an absolute beginner this is a "MUST", 21 Nov 2007
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I puchased this DVD for her not really knowing what to expect only to find this Brilliant step by step guide, simplistic to follow in every way.
The DVD zooms in on the guitar itself and positioning on fingers on frets etc. at the right hand side of the screen is the cord Mr. Chappell is playing once again denoting where positioning of fingers should be.
Having had no previous experience at all our daughter found this DVD informative and extremely easy to follow as did her father, only unable to follow correctly at the 9th out of 10 chapters when "Fingerpicking" was introduced.
This dvd is aimed at no particular age group only Beginners of whatever age. Mr. Chappell's experience and honesty shines through as he repeatedly states you will not beable to play overnight that practice is a must all the things beginners need to hear.
I cannot praise this DVD enough it hss to be one of the best if not the best DVD's and an invaluable aid to guitar playing irrespective of which type of guitar you choose to play.
If you are looking for a Beginners guide to learning to play the guitar i cannot recommend this one too highly. You will not regret this purchase!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy for Beginners, 5 Mar 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I bought a number of different “teach yourself” tools on a variety to media to get myself started on the guitar and this is definitely top of the bunch. Unlike many of the others, this DVD schools the learner in exactly the same way a (very expensive) private tutor would. It spends time on teaching not just the basic notes, but also different ways of strumming and finger picking (I’ve found that may of the other books, CDs, and PC CDROMs tend to ignore the right hand).
The DVD progresses at a steady speed and allows the learner to stop and achieve competence in one area before moving on and, unlike some of the private music tutors that you run the risk of hiring from your local paper, this guy actually knows what he is doing. He can play AND teach!
I can’t say enough positive things about this DVD – it does exactly what it says on the cover!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good DVD, 8 Sep 2006
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because I don't have time to go to classes and it has proved a very good investment so far. I have not got to the end yet but I recommend it to complete beginners as it spends some time going over really basic stuff like how to sit and hold your guitar - all good of course, but the more advanced may find it a little condescending.
I liked that he does go into detail and it's worth learning so as to not to fall into bad habits.
You get to play tunes fairly soon - although they could had been a lot better - like pop music instead of what amounted to nursery rhymes, but hey at least you get to play something!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for an absolute beginner, 17 Jan 2008
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I have no lessons other than this DVD and the Dummies book and I feel like I'm making real progress. The approach is very practical - getting you to play something as early as possible, and I found that very motivating. The style of presentation is light hearted and not at all intimidating.
I'm really pleased with this purchase and would reccommend it to any other newbie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies, 29 Jan 2009
Keith Meddings (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I would certainly recommend the 'Learning Guitar for Dummies' DVD tutorial for those new to guitar playing; I've worked through several tutorial books during the past two months, one included a CD, but this DVD is as good as one to one lessons, the various chapters can replayed time and time again until you get it right.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful accompaniment to book, 14 May 2006
D. Cochrane (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I bought the Guitar For Dummies book when I got my guitar. I'm working my way through the book so thought this DVD would help - I haven't gone to an instructor (yet). It's not as in-depth as the book (there simply isn't enough DVD space), but it is very useful to actually see the strumming and finger techniques Chapell uses.

I'd recommend you buy the book along with this DVD, that way you can continue to progress once you've gone the DVD lessons.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the standard of the book..., 19 Nov 2007
Benjamin Bass (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD along with the Guitar for Dummies book.
One of them was great and I got a lot out of it. The other was this DVD. It's not all that bad, it's just that half of it is incredibly basic, and it doesn't advance much from there. Compared to the depth and range of styles in the book, I just didn't find much here. Might be OK for a total beginner, but if you know how to do relative tuning and play a few chords (E, D, A, G...) then I don't think it is great value.
Just get the book...

4.0 out of 5 stars Learning Guitar for Dummies DVD, 13 Mar 2009
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
This product does pretty much what it says. I have never picked up a guitar and have been trawling the internet for online lessons but also wanted something to back this up and some thing I could use in my bedroom on the DVD player.
The instructor is a very sugary american, he is as cheesy as he looks, his teaching technique is good but parts of what he is teaching a for total dummies (for example this is a guitar, these are the strings).
I did as much research as possible before taking up the guitar, and even self teaching from a book or off the net get me to a level past most of this DVD.

A major strength to this is the songlist, there are 10 or so songs starting with single chord, up to a few chords (including House of the Rising Sun) these are very good and are great to playalong to and provide a real confidence boost.

Overall I would recommend this to anyone who is really starting from scratch, you will outgrow it quickly if you are practicing lots, but everyone works at their own pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only a dummy wouldn't buy this, 26 Sep 2006
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
This is the tutor I should have had when I started out learning 5 years ago. It's a little late for me now, though there are still some useful tips and some new tunes to learn.

Delivered in a pleasant and easy to follow manner, within minutes of the first playing lesson starting (after the introductory stuff about parts and tuning etc), you are strumming along to a real song (albeit on one chord, but heh, even Lennon started out somewhere!).

For anybody starting out playing, whatever age, this is recommended. I reckon obtaining the book probably wouldn't be a bad idea too.

5.0 out of 5 stars This taught ME something and I already play it!!, 4 Feb 2009
Mr. D. J. Stewart "Dave *Zed's dead baby*" (Central Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jon Chappell - Learning Guitar For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I play chords on my 6 string, 12 string, electric, semi acoustic. Yep, 4 lovely guitars.

So I got this thinking hmm.. it'll teach me the tabs too. It does, and very nicely. Also shows you how to tune the guitar and gives you an idea of all the different techniques you could use. It's REALLY handy and I got it on here yonks ago for 5 quid. Not a bad price really!

Trust me, I'd pay a tenner easy for this. Not a bad addition at all, even teaches you a few wee songs and has a tiny booklet included. Give it a go! (,")