4.0 out of 5 stars Very good workout from a beginners point of view
Published on 24 Oct 2008 by A. B.

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me!
This would be a good dvd, but 75% is based on exercises which put a huge pressure on your knees. So if you have knee problems avoid this dvd. Other than that, she's great, good cardio, muscle building and stretching exercises.
Published on 21 Jun 2009 by Ram Rijal

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good workout from a beginners point of view, 24 Oct 2008
A. B. (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD because my physiotherapist suggested that pilates would be good for my lower back problem. Never having done pilates before and being one of these people who struggle with co-ordination and always turn in the wrong direction in the fitness class, I wanted an easy to follow routine and clear instructions. And this DVD delivers exactly that (and if I loose a few pounds on the way, even better). Having done aerobic and 'legs, bums & tums' classes in the past, I recognised some exercises but in this DVD there is more focus on correct posture and breathing. Even though the pace is reasonably gentle, I actually got quite hot and my heart rate definetely went up.
The workout contains 20 min standing up exercises; personally I found these a bit more difficult to learn but this is more due to my lack of co-ordination, the instuctor actually leaves enough time to grasp the exercises. The workout then moves on the 15 minutes of floor exercises which I really like, I was quite amazed how stiff I was, despite being a very active person! I cannot comment on weightloss yet as I haven't had the DVD for very long.
Some reviews state that the instructor is really annoying, hence I expected one of these over-enthusiastic American Baywatch-type women shouting instructions at me whilst energetically waving her slender limbs around. But I was really positively surprised, I found the instructor quite calm and measured, not annoying at all.
The only slight criticism I have is, that the instructor could remind me a bit more often about correct breathing throughout some of the routines as I noticed mine going out of the window a couple of times.
I think for the price of 3.98 you cannot go wrong, if you want to give pilates a try, I would recommend this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners, 21 Dec 2007
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I have been doing this workout about 3 to 4 times a week for the last month and I'm thrilled with it. I am watching what I eat but there is no doubt that the workout has contributed to the difference in my waist, thighs and hips. I'd highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab starter DVD, 25 May 2007
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I've never attempted pilates before.....much too scared. But this was easy to follow and fun. The only draw back is there is not much content. A 20 min stand up work, which includes some excellent stretches and a 15 min floor work. Despite having just the two routines (which you tend to do together) it is not yet boring. The lady presenting is not annoying either. Makes a change! For the price it is an excellent starter DVD and I will be buying more in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners who need that kick start, 23 Feb 2008
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
As a complete pilates novice, I found this DVD gentle and effective. Tracey Thompson is an excellent host and although her voice irritated me a little at first I found her explanations and encouragements very useful for the first few weeks. I do this workout several times a week, and I would suggest having a days break every few days just to let your muscles recover. Having had an ankle and knee injury I found this workout strengthened my problem areas and also helped me to relax and sleep better (especially as I have a very noisy housemate!). You do build up a decent sweat doing this workout and the floor exercises really help trim that "core area" (I have a much flatter belly after doing this for a month).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow workout, 17 Aug 2008
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
This is the first pilates video I bought. The workout was a total body workout. The pace was just right and instructions were given clearly. I then bought the Lynne Robinson 'The Pilates Body' and I hated it because I strained a side of my body. Now I only use this DVD. Recommend it to anyone who is a beginner and wants to tone and feel great on the inside. Tracey Thompson is an excellent instructor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, fun and effective, 12 Aug 2008
Kate Massey (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I had gone to a Pilates class and found it very boring and slow. This DVD on the other hand is upbeat and combines good stretches with enough movement to make you feel like you've been exercising. The instructor is pleasant and encouraging and the music is fairly neutral so it doesn't irritate. I liked the two different sections: standing and mat-based pilates, and the workouts weren't too long to be fitted into a hectic lifestyle. Sadly, there are only two routines, and some of the explanations are quite blink-and-you've-missed-them, (but I personally would prefer to have brief explanations to long-winded ones that will be soooo annoying when you are doing the routine for the third time!) Very good value. I'd thoroughly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and easy to follow, 9 Oct 2008
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD, as I was looking for something to tone me up, and strengthen my stomach. I have followed Pilates exercises before, from a book about 10 years ago, so being very unfit, and inflexible now, I would class myself as a beginner.
I watched the DVD this monday, and have completed it twice, with a day off in between, and I am very impressed. The rate at which you workout is steady, and everything is well instructed in a clear, easy to follow manner. All the moves are easy to follow. The first 20 minutes is a standing workout, and the last 15 minutes is on the mat. You will really feel your body working!
I felt really energised after each workout, and felt I had better posture.
My stomach also felt stronger the 2nd time around, so I'm hopeful this workout will give results fast. I highly recommend it.
*Follow up. I've been doing this dvd 2-3 times a week. Already i've lost an inch off my thighs, bust and waist. My posture is better, and I'm noticing a difference in the shape of my legs - for the better that is lol!, and muscle definition on the outer thigh.

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it, 18 Aug 2007
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I had never tried any kind of exercise dvd before this and was unsure of what to expect. After a few goes I found it easy to follow. What lost it a star was, there wasnt so much for toning your tummy, but your legs do get hit hard. After a few months I had noticed my cellulite had virtually disappeared and I had lost 2 dress sizes, without making major changes to my diet. I would highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 17 Nov 2008
Alex (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
I have never done pilates before and having read other reviews decided to purchase this dvd hoping for a good introduction to a pilates workout. And this is exactly what you'll get. If, like me, you're not a big fan of complicated dance routines done by a bunch of people in garish outfits whose 'ideal' bodies clearly have nothing to do with the exercise performed, you're gonna love this dvd. The exercises are shown in a slow and clear way by a friendly instructor - they are easy to follow even if you're doing it for the first time and effective from the first move. There are additional explanations or more/less advanced alternatives to a given exercise popping up when necessary but this is in no way distracting. The dvd is divided into several sections which makes it handy when you only have 15-20 minutes and want to do a short session at a time. You will not need anything else but a bit of space, bare feet and a mat (unless, like me, you don't mind the carpet). I have found this workout really enjoyable and hopefully so will you.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3lbs off in first week, 16 Jan 2007
Mrs. S. Cant (dunfermline, fife United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pilates Weight Loss Workout For Dummies [DVD] (DVD)
This is a good pilates Dvd. Instead of it all being sitting down , its standing mostly with a little Mat workout at the end.Its working so far and I'm not finding it boring. I have done windsor pilates before and the techniques are the same. Enjoying it throughly

Would recommend this