Jurassic Park [DVD]
Format: DVDChange
Price:£4.92+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 28 July 2013
I bought this after watching Titanic and seeing how good post conversions can be when done properly, with a dedicated team that spends almost a year on the process and $10mil. I have to say, after horrors like Thor 3D and Clash of the Titans 3D, I was extremely sceptical about whether post conversion could ever really work - I felt they were just cash grab gimmicks. I am so glad to say, Post-conversion can be totally Amazing.

Jurassic Park 3D is THE BEST live action 3D film I have ever seen. It was an incredible experience and beats all of the Marvel films, Avatar and other natively shot 3D films. I own about 50 3D films and was, up until now, of the impression that only animations really work in 3D. I am so glad to say that I was utterly wrong. I haven't seen The Life of Pi 3D but hear that's good, so maybe that represents good competition for JP 3D.

The reason JP works so well in 3D is because so many of the scenes have a great deal of perspective and layers through Dinos, foliage (blustering and static), rain, geography, structures and actors, all of which have been rendered with curved edges and positioned correctly within the frame at their respective depths. Some of the scenes do pop out too, like the raptor jumping up through the ceiling grate. The pop out is the best I've seen and used only when absolutely necessary for total film immersion. There was only one shot that didn't work in the whole film and that was the back rest of a chair that Laura Dern was sitting on, It appeared in the wrong plane of view. This scene lasted a few seconds. Apart from that stupidly minor quibble, I had one of the most engrossing and edge-of-my-seat film experiences in years. I was drawn into a film in a way that I have not experienced since I was a kid. It was literally a revelation.

The sound has also been remastered, meaning it's more captivating than ever. Even the picture has been cleaned up and added to, like rain drops in the foreground (there are multiple layers of rain) to make it feel real - and my god, does it feel real. The mosquito encapsulated in the amber fossil looks incredible! The car falling from the tree, the herds of dinosaurs in the wild, the T-Rex attack (all 3 of them), the raptors hunting the group in the main building - all of it created the most sumptuous feast my eyes have ever had while watching a 3D film.

I've seen this film many many times since the first watch in the cinema when I was 12. Even knowing the story inside out, this version gaVe me an incredible experience, like watching one of the true classics of cinema for the very first time.

Apart from animations, which are mostly pretty darn good in 3D, JP is a reference quality film for live action. I would even go as far as to say, if you own one 3D film, it should be this one.

Turn the lights off, Increase the screen lumens to avoid that annoying muted cinema 3D feeling, the sound up, put your glasses on and prepare for one of the most thrilling home cinema experiences of the decade - or ever !
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
JURASSIC PARK - 5 Stars:-

This is undoubtedly one of the greatest and most successful monster movies of all time.
The late Richard Attenborough plays John Hammond, a billionaire businessman and philanthropist, who's funded the creation of an amazing new theme park on a remote island in the Pacific Ocean. Using dinosaur DNA, Hammond's team of world leading scientists and geneticists have been able to create living clones of dinosaurs, including a Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptors, Brontosauruses, and Triceratopses.
Hammond invites some of the world's leading experts to experience the park before it opens its gates to the general public. This includes two palaeontologists, Alan Grant and Ellie Settler (played by Sam Neill and Laura Dern), and a quirky mathematician, Ian Malcolm (played with relish by Jeff Goldblum). Settler views Grant as husband and father material, but Grant isn't in any real hurry to put down roots.
Hammond wants to persuade the visiting experts that his new dino-zoo is both fool-proof and perfectly safe to welcome the public. Hammond's grandchildren, a young boy and girl, accompany the visiting experts on a tour of the island's features and attractions, but their enthusiasm and excitement is soon displaced by fear and panic. When the park's supposedly fail safe security systems are tampered with by a traitorous employee who wants to become a millionaire by selling the cloning secrets, and the systems subsequently fail, the Tyrannosaurus Rex escapes, along with his "Mini-Me" lookalike buddies, the Velociraptors...
What follows then is a completely absorbing, exhilarating and riotous tale of a group of humans, both adults and children, battling for survival against some very hungry, carnivorous monsters...
This is a truly wonderful, mega-budget monster flick. Although the incredible CGI is now well past 20 years old, it's still as impressive today as it was all those years ago. The acting, including that of the child actors, is exemplary. The action scenes and pacing of the movie are relentless, it's a non-stop rollercoaster ride all the way. The atmosphere and tension is palpable, and the sound effects for the dinosaurs are out of this world.
All in all, this is what fantasy movie making is all about, to take the viewer deep into an incredible alternative world for a couple of hours, and to be so completely absorbed that you forget about everything else. Sheer brilliance.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.

JURASSIC WORLD - 5 Stars:-

This is a jaw-dropping, bone-crunching monster movie, that's every bit as good as the three previous instalments. With its disastrous history now fading from memory, Jurassic Park has reopened its doors to the general public and announced itself as the world's most exciting and innovative theme park. Arriving at the remote Pacific island where Jurassic World is located, two brothers, the teenage Gray and younger brother Zach, who's aged about ten, plan to spend a week watching genetically engineered and modified baby dinosaurs in the petting zoo, canoeing with gargantuan Brontosauruses, and riding gyro-pods (think mechanised zorbing) among herds of Triceratopses. Along with the two boys are about 20,000 other tourists looking forwards to a very special holiday.
Jurassic World is a vast, world famous commercial enterprise, and maximising profits for the shareholders is the bottom line. Operations Manager Claire knows that the pressure is on to keep up renewed interest in the park every year, which means bigger, louder, scarier dinosaurs.
The latest creation of the scientists is the $26 million dollar Indominous Rex, which is a hybrid of two particularly fierce and clever predator dinosaurs - it's hyper-intelligent, can change the colour of its skin like the Predator (Arnie Schwarzenegger), and is relentlessly aggressive, killing its prey for sport as well as food - Predator Trilogy [Blu-ray] [1987].
When the forty-foot tall monster escapes its "indestructible" enclosure, it's down to Claire, and the park's Alpha Male dino-whisperer Owen, to save the day and bravely attempt to prevent history repeating itself...
This latest instalment of the wonderful Jurassic Park franchise certainly doesn't disappoint. The segment with Owen training and controlling the Velociraptors, lion-tamer style, is breathtakingly good. The CGI is as good as it gets, indeed I watched this movie at the cinema with my 12 year old daughter yesterday and the 3D effect was the best I've ever seen, better even than Avatar - Avatar (DVD + Blu-ray). Whilst the ultra-macho hero Owen is a pretty standard tough guy - he'd probably have most women swooning over him and most men happily sharing a beer with him - his banter and chemistry with his potential girlfriend Claire is highly entertaining. The two lead child actors give stunning performances, up there with the child performances in E.T. - E.T. The Extra Terrestrial (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [1982].
Vincent D'Onofrio steals the film for me as the despicable bad guy, playing a gung-ho and Machiavellian park warden who wants to get rich quick by putting the trained dinosaurs to lucrative military uses. The film has all the ingredients to be the perfect monster movie blockbuster and it ticks all the right boxes, every single one of them. A small note of caution though - there are some scenes where dinosaurs get to bite and munch on the tourists, and which some children perhaps aged 11 or less might well find a little too scary.
A brilliant, thundering romp of a movie, don't miss!
Thank you very much for taking the time to read this review.
on 14 December 2013
I have seen Jurassic Park many times over the years and must have owned it a few times in different formats but, without a doubt, I feel the 3d conversion on Blu Ray is the best i have experienced Spielberg's classic. A short, 9 minute or so, bonus feature on the 3D disc confirms why the post-conversion has been handled so well - it was handled by Stereo D the same company that were behind the conversion of Titanic (one of the best conversions I have seen). The short details the 9-months of work that went in to the process with Speilberg taking a very active roll. I never appreciated until seeing this how much work was involved - take the T-Rex scene where it was detailed how they had to make the rain appear in different perspective to give depth to the shot - all the rain drops had to be worked on frame by frame. Amazing and the results are up on the screen. The sound has seen some attention too from the original artists with a little extra oomph added to T-Rex etc., Anyway, on to the key parts of the release:

3D: As detailed above the 3D conversion is handled very well with the process really adding to the viewing of the film. Image quality (fills a 16x9 frame with a tiny black border at the bottom edge) is excellent with a tiny amount of film-like grain that is apparent in the dark scenes but, overall, a sterling effort for a film that is now 20-years old! Sound quality on the 3D disc offers a 7.1 lossless track along with a 5.1 lossless for english language (other options too but I will focus on the english language throughout). Plenty use is made of the surrounds and, for those that have one, the sub-woofer track. The T-Rex scene is the one to try with the classic ripples on the glasses of water scene! One particularly nice part about the 3D disc is that you get straight to the film with none of the 'you will be fined if you copy this or play it on an oil-rig etc.,' type messages. Chapters are plentiful allowing you to go to your favourite scene via the pop-up menu button. One 3D extra is included as mentioned above.

2D: Basically the same image quality as the 3D but start with 4 x different warnings about piracy followed by a further, animated one, thanking us for buying it. Come on Universal - cut it out. We have purchased the thing so enough of the warnings. Sound is the same 7.1 lossless found on the 3D disc but no 5.1 track. Lots of foreign language tracks included as well as Japanese should you want it. Main, and for me the only, reason for putting this disc on concerns the extras as there are loads of them! There must be 2.5 hours or so of features and worth a look if you like the usual making of's etc., I have scanned the reverse of the slip-case so you can see the full details available from the back cover should you require - this can be found above by the main images.

Really hope that they will now convert the sequels in 3D so I can complete the set. After watching the 3D documentary I guess I can now appreciate how much work goes in to a good conversion but this also, probably, means such work will only be done for the main big catalogue titles which is a shame. Done well it can add huge amounts to the right film.

Overall I rate this very highly and consider it to be a very worthwhile 3D Blu Ray. Brilliant.
review image
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
From a purely visual point of view the whole 3D thing works as well as a film which has been filmed in a standard fashion and then retrospectively constructed into 3D can work. It's not a flawless process though. When films are made in 3D obviously lots of scenes or superflouous objects etc are deliberately positioned to create the effect. The issue with retrospective 3D is that they weren't filmed with this in mind and while a lot of the scenery or 'character standing about' scenes have a lot of depth to them, often something comes into the foreground which then invariably looks blurry and unfocused which just makes the whole scene look a bit untidy.
There's also something about the depth which makes it look a bit unnatural as if the actors are performing in front of a blue screen which has then had the environment added later and I guess by making a 2D film 3D this is what they've de facto kind of done? Some small set pieces also look not as good for example the canteen scene where the camera is behind and looking through the velociraptors two large legs and feet following the legs as they are running. What looked a good filming technique in its original form looked a bit blurry and unfocused in 3D.
That being said and on the whole the imagery looked beautiful and clean. A lot of the 3D worked very well though most of it tends to be characters talking together or against a backdrop. Some of the imagery really comes out at you and children in particular should really love it. It does make you think though if this had been filmed originally in 3D just how good a lot of the scenes would have been with dinosaurs specifically filmed coming out of the screen.
on 20 January 2014
I can't recall how many times I've seen this film at the cinema, TV in DVD and VHS form and in Blu ray.
I decided to buy the 3D version because I thought that with all the animations of the original the transfer would be spectacular. I was encouraged by the successful transfer of the Titanic.
I was right, but beyond this the sense of space is not only seen in the animations but also in the scenes with the actors themselves.
I was aware of the "product placement" of the two Jeep models Wrangler & Cherokee as at the time I used to drive a Cherokee but in 3d they look magnificent also.
I watched this on a 3D LG TV and a 3D Sony Blu ray player and I cannot think of a better and seamless production, objects and creatures jump out of the screen1.
Although by now I know the script inside out it was riveting all the same.
A good purchase.
on 19 December 2013
Jurassic Park was one of if not my favourite childhood movie, I have seen it countless times, and nearly managed to catch the film in 3d in America earlier this year. I think everyone knows the film so this review is not about it. More the incredible conversion job done on it to convert into 3D. In my opinion it is up there as one of the very best 3D pictures i've ever seen, even though its a 20 year old film. The depth is spot on, and gives the film a real sense of immersion, i've just sat enthralled for the last couple of hours by it.

If you have a 3d set up at home, i'd recommend this even if you already own another format of JP, it truly is astounding.
on 17 January 2014
Watched the original when it first came out on video, then DVD so know the film well. The 3D version is very very good. The clarity is superb and the 3D is excellent. I suppose after the first 20 minutes or so you forget you are watching 3D but you definitely know you are watching something of much better quality than DVD or simple Blu-ray . Knowing the film as well as I do I had to have something more than just a good film and this version certainly allowed me to get far more out of the film than I expected..... Well worth having in the collection.
on 22 January 2014
Truly stunning hd transfer-plus mind blowing 3d conversation make this one of the greatest Blu-ray Disc's with the 3d badge on it!
If there was ever a reason to go buy that bigger t.v. Set it's because of owning this disc - the great champion of 3d,Mr James Cameron has often bemoaned the fact that bad conversion of older films has blighted the technique - I wouldn't argue with that,Jurassic park is the exception to the rule.
Please,if you're a 3d fan - go treat yourself!
on 1 December 2014
This is a brilliant adventure film that still stands up today over 20 years since i first saw it.
The sense of wonder and excitement is still there, and the special effects hold up remarkably well compared to other films of the time.
I bought this to watch on a Sunday evening with my wife and we had a thoroughly good time.
I cannot recommend this film enough
on 27 January 2014
Is there anybody that hasn't already seen Jurassic Park? It's a fantastic film. If you're looking for some 3D to show off to your mates then you'll be doing well to find better than this, it is definitely the best post processed 3D I have ever seen and I've seen a lot. There are a few minor crosstalk issues over active 3D but on a passive set it's flawless.