Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 13 December 2006
This is a great combination to have on one DVD. The Snowman is such a wonderful wordless classic with its sweeping score, timeless song and lovely humour. The animation is just gorgeous and it never fails to draw a tear in our house when the snowman melts at the end :(( But it is thoroughly enjoyed by everyone nonetheless.

Father Christmas is "bloomin' great fun." The appealing grumpiness of the man of the season himself going on holidays to France, Las Vegas & Scotland, together with his hatred of getting cold, make this a wonderful, funny and highly entertaining film. He does of course return home in time to read all those Christmas letters ("how'm I supposed to get a pony down the chimney then??") and to pack his sleigh ready for his annual present delivery round the world.

It is a great pairing with The Snowman, and includes some scenes that link the two storylines together - really very nicely done. Father Christmas is just what you need to dry those tears after the ending of the Snowman and leaves you (and our five year old!) singing along with him at the end, wishing everyone "a merry bloomin' Christmas." I commend this lovely seasonal duo to your family pleasure.
11 comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2013
Until they produce a non-cropped BluRay version then this is the version to own.

See the Snowman... that's not a recommendation it is what you can do with this version - you CAN see the snowman. On the BluRay versions the picture has been cropped to 16:9 chopping the chilly feller off in some of the flying scenes.

This version may not fill the whole of your shiny widescreen telly, but you will at least be watching a Christmas classic in full and in the format in which it was created.
on 4 September 2008
I remember watching this when I was little one christmas eve and I loved it(my mum instantly went out and bought the books for me which are equally as good!). I am now 20 and I still get that warm fuzzy feeling like when I first watched it. Great to put on the tv in the background whilst you are writing out christmas cards and wrapping up gifts or just to watch with the family in the lead up to christmas. It really gets you feeling festive!

If you are not familiar with these programmes I can give a brief outline of both, THE SNOWMAN takes you along a beautiful journey of a young boys friendship with a friendly snowman and FATHER CHRISTMAS shows you what the man himself gets up to during the rest of the year.

They don't make tv like this anymore, add this to your collection so you can watch it and then your children can watch it, then your children's children and so on!
This double DVD is great value for money, there aren't many films which evoke the magic of Christmas as well as these do.

The short film 'The Snowman', based on Raymond Briggs' picture book, is animated using pastels rather than blocks of bright colour. This gives it a 'shaky' appearance which evokes memories of childhood drawings, it also adds to the timeless appeal of the film - it has stood out as a family favourite rather than blended in to the background of the early `80s.

The artwork may be good, but what really makes the film is the incredible Howard Blake score. When you think about The Snowman you immediately think of 'Walking in the Air', but it's only when you sit and watch this again that you realise how great the rest of the music is! There is no speech in the film, the only words in the film (apart from David Bowie's introduction) are to be found in one song - so this really does have universal appeal as the evocative music bridges the gap between you and the film and replaces any need for dialogue. The music really does communicate the emotive atmosphere of each scene; as young James finds his snowman has come to life we feel his excitement during his night of adventure. From the highs of meeting Father Christmas to the poignant end - Blake's music is always there in your head heightening the experience.

The second film on this DVD continues in much the same visual style. It's less emotional and the music isn't as memorable - but the upbeat story of a grumpy Father Christmas with a habit of soft-cursing (it's all "bloomin'this" and "bloomin' that"!) is a fun film and still manages to pack in a Christmas song which is now a staple of any Christmas music album (Have a Merry Bloomin' Christmas). Unlike The Snowman there is dialogue here and Mel Smith is perfectly cast as the cantankerous bearded old man. The film is an insight into what Father Christmas gets up to during the rest of the year, after a hectic Yuletide he plans a holiday, but things don't go to plan. Without his red suit he blends in with the crowd and appears just like any other old grumpy Brit abroad!

Father Christmas appeals to all ages but it's adults who will appreciate the humour most, the observations are canny and most will recognise something of themselves in the character. Both the films crossover briefly when James appears in a scene - but Father Christmas ultimately gets back his Christmas spirit and soldiers on for another night of delivering presents.

In a nutshell: A brilliant double feature of two films which should be watched every Christmas. The Snowman is a masterpiece of musical storytelling and Father Christmas is a fun light-hearted look at the man behind the red suit.
on 8 January 2008
This version of Raymond Briggs' The Snowman / Father Christmas [DVD] has the David Bowie introduction.
on 5 December 2012
Simply brilliant!
After purchasing the snowman cd for the car, adored by my dd, I thought she might enjoy the film - and she does, loves it in fact, she fills in the words for them bless her.
Father Christmas is fabulous, I had never seen this before so was new to us both and were both blooming well in awe of it!
The two films tie in beautifully together and I am certain we will be enjoying these classics for years to come!
on 20 February 2016
The Snowman is an all time classic, a must for children and families (I'm an only child and at 23 this is still a yearly traditional in my household). Father Christmas is great too, massively underrated, it just has that feel good feeling.

I already owned both of these on VHS and The Snowman on dvd too BUT I was disappointed by my original dvd in that it lacked the David Bowie introduction that I had grown to love on the VHS. After much research (really I did a lot) I was told that this double feature edition dvd contained the Bowie intro. If that's what you're after then GET THIS DVD. Honestly, it was my sole reason for buying it and the fact that Father Christmas came on the dvd too was a bonus. Cheap too!
on 13 June 2009
The Snowman is a pure delight, Christmas would no longer be Christmas without it. I first saw it in 1982 and it still has the same magic to this day.

Father Christmas is brilliant, Raymond Briggs has caught all the other aspects of Christmas.

No matter how old you are, and I have seen many many a Christmas, if you are still young at heart you must own this.
on 5 December 2009
When this arrived I was not at all disapointed- It was just how I remembered. In my formative years I eagerly anticipated both the 'Snowman' and 'Father Christmas' (although especially Father Christmas) but in recent years I have noticed a decline in the number of showings these 2 get over the christmas period on prime time TV. So at 21 I decided buying them was necessary especially when the price on Amazon is so reasonable.

Watching them they do look a little dated but I believe they still evoke the true feeling of christmas excitement. The lack of computer animation and the quality of drawing both in the foreground and background really makes this a classic and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them both whilst I wrapped presents. I know some reviews have critisised the constant use of the word 'bloomin' in Father Christmas, but as a child of 5 I found it very cheeky and funny, not offensive at all- If anything it made the prospect of father christmas even more plausible!
The Snowman of course is a lovely story, beautifully set to music and a christmas delight. Both of these short films are brilliant and to have them on the same DVD is lovely as I can watch them both back-to-back. I really cannot recommend them highly enough, and I think it would be a shame for the children of the noughties it they did not get the chance to experience these family favourite christmas classics.
on 9 February 2009
One of my favourite films the snowman and as an added bonus Father Christmas, I loved these films as a child and still as an addult, they just get you in the Christmas spirit and bring back some lovely memories of childhood.....fantastic!!!