on 4 January 2005
I've got to start by saying that I rarely give anything 5 stars, if I could, I would give this album 6! It is just fantastic. If you haven't heard it, what the hell are you waiting for!? The stand out tracks for me were, Jenny was a friend of mine, Mr. Brightside, Somebody told me, Andy You're a star, Indie Rock and Roll and Everything Will be Alright. Usually when I listen to an album, there are 1 or 2 stand out tracks but in the case of Hot Fuss, I've chosen about half the album and there are still a couple more that I feel should be in there. In conclusion, a truely amazing album that has barely left my CD player since I bought it. Every single track is very, very good (I nearly put them all as stand out tracks but that would have been a bit pointless...)
on 29 June 2007
These guys are the best band I have heard in 25 years. I'm 42 now and can honestly say this. Buy both CD's - Hot Fuss and Sam's Town. If anything, buy Hot Fuss for track 7 alone! Heard this song ("On Top") for the first time while watching their set at Glastonbury last week (June 23, 2007) and it made my hair curl!! Both CD's are filled with outstanding tracks. Buy both and crank up the volume and imagine your favourite bands of the 70's and 80's and you are there!! Brilliant - on CD and Live!
on 4 March 2005
The Killers are a deceiving band. Their debut Hot Fuss is an electro-indie-disco fusion, the kind not heard since prime-era Pulp. The guitars and synths draw heavily on quintessential british bands such as the Cure and New Order. Yet whilst singer Brandon Flower's hollered vocals sound convincingly british, the band hail from that most unenglish of places, Las Vegas. Knock them all you want for aspiring to be british indie heroes, but there's no denying that with Hot Fuss they've written one of the most addictive albums of 2004.
Singles Mr Brightside and Somebody Told Me have been filling dance floors everywhere with their pulsating energy and universal appeal. Thankfully much of the album's remainder is of a similar quality. Opener Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine sets the tone perfectly, the song describing a crime scene in the most danceable way possible, complete with Peter Hookesque basslines, and the first of many great choruses.
The momentum is maintained for much of the first half of the album. Yet whilst the second half is slightly slower to ignite, it is in no way the weaker half. Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll is the album's oft misunderstood anthem, with its sound, and cringe-worthy lyrics ("She plays the drums, I'm on tambourine" accompanied by shake of said tambourine") wholly intentional. On Top opens with a sequence which sounds worryingly like an Ibiza anthem, before developing into one of the album's highlights. Believe Me Natalie's glimmering guitars and 80s synths are reminiscent of the Cure at their poppy best (right to the point where the song introduces trumpets ala Close To Me), whilst the initially odd Everything Will Be Alright grows with every listen.
Synths should always be used with great care to avoid sounding silly, but the Killers get the balance between guitars and synths just right, Smile Like You Mean It being a classic example. Elsewhere, a gospel choir is used sparingly, but to great effect, helping to make All These Things... the album's shining light, touching yet uplifting. Similarly, Andy You're A Star is saved from mediocrity by an inspired outro.
Only lyrically do the Killers portray their roots. Sleazy and lustful, as on Midnight Show ("You've got a real short, I wanna look up look up look up"), you think you know where Mr Brightside's going with "My stomach is sick....now she's touching his", before the lyrics takes a clever right-turn.
Packed to the rafters with hook-laden songs which will have you playing the album constantly for a month, but with enough smart touches to ensure long-term value, Hot Fuss is undoubtedly one of 2004's great albums, and a deserved success for the Killers.
on 12 November 2004
As someone who buys around 250 albums a year, it takes something very very special to be top of my list. Well, this is something very very special. Instantly hummable tunes. Their influences are obviously mostly wedged in the 80's, but their sound brings it right up to date.
The hit singles such as Mr Brightside are the tracks that'll be talked about with Smiths, Cure, Suede and Pulp references, but the crucial track for me is the mid-CD clincher "All these things that I've done", which shows their skill an aptitude perfectly. Not just one hummable tune, but three (chorus, verse and bridge) in one song, which takes a Strokes riff, raps bagpipe like Big Country guitars around it and sucks out your very soul so that you immediately hit repeat when it finishes.
Pure undiluted class from beginning to end. Buy this album if you have any musical sensibility in your body whatsoever.
I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier. Indeed!
on 6 August 2004
I haven't heard an album so great for ages. I have to stop myself playing the damn thing, but it's the only one I want to listen to at the moment. If you like Franz Ferdinand you'll like it, reminiscent of New Order, The Smiths, but thankfully it is it's own thing and that's why I can't stop playing it. Great to cycle to if you like going very very fast! I guess if I still had a car it would be great car crash music, I mean driving music. There are great songs on this album, it's filled with hit singles. Oh, go on, get it and play it till it till its your album of the summer.
on 8 November 2004
I got this album about 2 months ago after hearing 'Mr Brightside' and 'Somebody told me'. As soon as I had listened to it all the way through I fell in love with it. It is packed full of individually brilliant tracks, some catchy, some uplifting and others you can dance too. It is really WORTH BUYING, and in my opinion is the best album of 2004, despite other fantastic bands which have made an appearance throughout the year such as 'Snow Patrol', 'Keane' and 'Franz Ferdinand', all within the Indie/Rock genre. One of the BEST things about this album is you do not tire of it: you can carry on listeting to it for months. The only problem I had was that its only 11 tracks long, and the last one 'Everything Will Be Alright' is rather weak. Once you've listened to it, you become desperate for more of their material so check out B-sides such as 'Under the Gun', The Ballad of Michael Valentine, Change your mind and Who Let You Go!
GO BUY NOW!
on 9 November 2004
Album of The Year in My View!
I Got This months back after hearing Mr Brightside on mtv2 and Hot Fuss is not what i expected. Somebody Told Me and All These Things that I've Done are the stand out tracks and have since become singles. Id rate them all 9/10.
Other Tracks that stand out are the opener Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine, i guess hes being accused of murder here, and Andy you're a Star roaring and emotional.
My personal fave is Believe me Natalie, some people said it was filler but i really like it cant put my finger on why...
The only bad tracks or not bad but not to the quality of the Mr Brightside and somebody told me are Indie Rock and Roll, yes its a snark at americas views to what define indie rockers, but after that you cant take it seriously whats the point?! Everything Will Be alright the last track is stodgy and i just think its weird.
But if you've heard the Singles and are making up youre mind whether to buy this, my Vote is Yes. Hot Fuss is The Perfect Blend Of 80'sIndieDanceRock complete with excellent use of Synths and vocals. eventually you wont get it out of you're head.. buy it.
on 4 July 2007
This is a truly great album. Unlike so many modern day albums it's not just a case of a few singles surrounded by filler tracks. A truly superb debut album which gets better and better upon repeated listens.
on 10 June 2004
I first heard a very early version of "Somebody Told Me" - the first single to get The Killers' name heard around six months ago, and have since been waiting eagerly for their album "Hot Fuss" to be released. I bought it at 9am on the day of its release.
Believe me, it was worth the wait.
This album is fantastic.
The top-ten single Mr Brightside will undoubtedly be what compels many people to buy this album, but that's in no way the only reason to buy "Hot Fuss".
The album opens with raw energy and power in "Jenny Was A Friend Of Mine", and this power is sustained throughout the LP. With most tracks written by the lead singer (and synth player) Brandon Flowers and the bass player Mark Stoermer, this "glamorous indie rock & roll" band impress from start to finish.
Brandon Flowers has a brilliantly powerful voice, and despite being from Las Vegas, he sings in a slightly English accent. With a little help from a Gospel choir on "All These Things That I've Done" (you'll find yourself singing "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier" in your sleep) and "Andy, You're A Star", Flowers portrays love, jealousy, confusion and just plain fun with absolute perfection.
It's as if the best elements of The Cure, Franz Ferdinand, David Bowie and The Clash have formed a military alliance and agreed to call themselves The Killers.
This is a rare occasion on which I'll say "Believe the hype".
Trust me, The Killers are out to impress.
0Comment|160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 June 2004
This is one of the best albums I have heard in a long time, there are so many good feeling songs which, sometimes jump out and surprise you when you least expect it. One thing I want to say is track 8 'Glorious Indie rock 'n' roll' watch out for this absolute beauty of a song, I think it's one of the best songs i've ever heard and is a real delight. Sadly this song got the better of me, driving along a nice country road on my own rocking out to this dare I say it 'anthem' and got carried away. Twice in fact, once by the song and once by the paramedics carrying me to the ambulance after I wrapped my car round a tree, back home now and still love, listened to this album non-stop for a week and am thinking the joy will never end. If I thought everyone in the world was rich and could afford £9 cd's on the advice of a few people I'd say go and buy it, but i'm a realist, so find a mate who already has this and blag it then after a week make up a lame excuse and buy them a drink, they might not forget but at least you get it for another week.
Happy Listening