5.0 out of 5 stars Best Steamer I have ever had!
Published on 4 Jan 2012 by Druscilla

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but better available
This is a good steamer but I was disappointed with the very small heating element which took 20/25 minutes to steam vegetables.

My previous Tefal took 12 minutes to cook the same volume.
Published on 27 July 2010 by Windmill

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Steamer I have ever had!, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Morphy Richards 48755 3 Tier Food Steamer - Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
I've always had Tefal steamers in the past - but could no longer find one with just a basic timer and the baskets kept getting more and more fragile. Looking at the reviews I took the plunge with this model by Morphy Richards. I am SO impressed - the basket design is really well thought out with the bases all allowing steam through and made of strong plastic - and the sides just sit in place so you can easily clean everything and it all stacks up afterwards to minimise the space taken up on my worktop.

You can fill the reservoir from the side if the water level drops too low but I have never needed to do this and the steam starts quickly. A simple timer stops the steam and I don't have to set the timer on the cooker to alert me as I did with Tefal models that only had a water reservoir and required you to turn the unit off.

I am a pensioner and this model provides all I want - a simple design that cooks my food well and quickly and will last the general wear and tear in the kitchen. Thoroughly impressed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Can be used to cook for one person, 6 Jun 2012
I was a bit apprehensive about buying this steamer, as it's so much larger than the Tefal Compact and I only need to steam veggies and rice for me and my young son. However, the latter product has some terrible reviews related to the useless instruction booklet, so I opted for the Morphy Richards.

I've never used a steamer before, and the instructions were very clear and easy to follow. Upon opening the product, I noticed a strong plastic smell on all of the components, so I washed each part thoroughly before first use (this is recommended in the instruction booklet). After that, the smell disappeared.

The first time I used it, I followed the suggested timings in the booklet, and found my veg was very overcooked. This is probably because I was only cooking for myself. I experimented with a few different timings and eventually got it right: a single tray of assorted veg (including hard veg like carrots and parsnips, chopped into smaller pieces) needs around 10 mins - 15 max - if you're only cooking for one person, even if you're using the middle tray. The book's estimated times for doing rice are about accurate, but you should adjust your steaming time if you're doing brown rice, as it takes longer.

The first few times I used it, the timer didn't work at all: it switched the device on but didn't count down, so I had to use my own kitchen timer. After that, it miraculously corrected itself and has worked ever since.

It's quite a large device, and though it stacks well, I wouldn't recommend it for tiny kitchens. Otherwise, I'd say it isn't too big for one person; just be sure to reduce your steaming times. If you're vegan or veggie, like me, you'll probably just use the bottom and middle trays for rice and vegetables, but meat-eaters will doubtless find a use for all 3 trays. It certainly takes the stress out of cooking and the components are easier to clean than a bunch of pans. You MUST make sure you thoroughly clean the base after every use, however, as limescale will build up very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Fantastic Crossfitters!, 10 Feb 2013
I've recently taken up Crossfit, and they have me eating lots of eggs, meat and vegetables (on this Paleo diet). Well, I've never felt better I must say, but I found boiling veggies such a bore - with lots of washing up. Boil kettle, fill bowl, nuke veggies, sieve them out of water. Tons of washing up, nutrients go with the water, I can never clean the seive... anyway, I saw my sister steam some vegetables on the gas hob and was amazed at the flavour, and simplicity. So I amazon searched for the same, and came across this strange looking electric steamer...after reading the reviews, I decided to take the plunge and go electric instead of gas pan thing and I must say I am absolutely delighted with this ingenious beauty.

My breakfast, every day on the Paleo, is a portion of fish, a selection of vegetables and an egg. My routine before was a complete pain....now I get up, lay the fish on the bottom shelf, prop a couple of eggs next to it...and on the other shelf lay a handful of broccoli and carrots, then turn the timer to 20 minutes and go have a shower and get changed. When I get back, ping!, everything has been cooked to perfection....the fish doesn't smell the house out like frying used to do, all the veggies have the nutrients still there, the eggs are a sinch to shell (the steam softens them)...all in all, I cannot recommend this beauty enough. It has literally changed my life! What was my mother doing all those years?! It's so simple to clean too, a quick swill. Easy to fill up, like a kettle. The timer means you go away and leave it, unlike boiling water over gas....everybody should have one of these.

I don't have experience of other electric steamers, but there is nothing about the design of this one that suggest to me that it can be improved in anyway. It's perfectly brilliant. And for 30 quid?! Crikey, I bought a baking tray for a tenner on here...it's extraordinary value for money. Buy it! Love it! Enjoy! x

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm steaming!, 28 Sep 2006
After many recommendations from family and friends I took the plunge and bought a steamer - this one. I thought that for £15.01 (FREE DELIVERY!) I couldn't go far wrong. It has been worth every penny and more. I've tasted veg like I've not tasted in years. Fish and rice are cooked to perfection in it and it even reheats chilled meals while cooking the veg. I now cook 2 and 3 veg with every meal, plus rice, pasta or spuds and there is no clutter of pans to clean up afterwards. A quick rinse under the tap and leave it to dry on the draining board. Highly recommended to anyone thinking of starting to steam.

5.0 out of 5 stars No .1. Steamer, 8 Oct 2012
I have had some steamers in the past but this is buy far the most substantial of its type. In the past I have had steamers where the plastic sides craze and crack at the mere sniff of a little steam and my most recent the very brittle plastic lid handle came unglued. However with this item the lid is moulded in one piece and out of a more flexible and less brittle plastic. It is slightly slower to boil by about 5 mins than previous models and thats the only downside. This steamer is not only quieter..its also stronger quality and built to last...Recommended buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steaming, 15 Jun 2007
Graham P. Lewis "cook 27" (Newport, South Wales United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought this steamer after looking around for a little while. I'm glad I did, it is so easy to use and very easy to clean, no saucepans etc. Veg just tastes so much better and fresher,fish is very good (as long as you wrap it in tin foil). Altogether, I wish I bought one a long time ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in love with my steamer!, 26 Jan 2008
My first steamer was the Morphy Richards 48770 which I totally took for granted - I did not know how many lemons were on the market. It served me well for many years. I finally let it go when the timer knob broke. Naively, I bought my next one presuming price determined quality - the Russell Hobbs 'you are what you eat' managed to go through the reservoir of water in 20 mins without producing much steam so I was constantly having to refill. it was slow to get going and I never got the hang of putting the bases back in the baskets. It was useless.

So, my new Morphy Richards 48755. It is neat,taking up less space. It got going quickly. After 25 mins it had barely touched the water reservoir , and the veg. were overcooked (I will have to adjust my cooking times) The baskets are going to be so much easier to use/keep clean as the sides lift off the basket base also making dishing-up easier. my only query is how difficult it will be to refill the reservoir during use - but since it used so little water I do not see this a problem. Only day one but already impressed. Now, can anyone recommend a s/s kettle that will last longer than 18 months, doesn't leak, explode etc?

update - 6 years on, still working well but bottom tier sides cracked and split in two and I cannot get a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great steamer, 24 Mar 2009
Lesley Marchant (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
My old steamer packed up on Chritmas Day so I spent ages checking reviews looking for a replacement. This one had good reviews and so far I have not been disappointed, it cooks quickly and evenly the size means that if I am only cooking for two of us I can use only one tray for two veg. Instructions are very clear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent steamer!, 16 May 2011
Mrs. S. Jones "SueJ" (UK) - See all my reviews
Having tried many steamers over the years this is the very best! Easy to use, easy to clean, solidly built and fits together for storage. My last steamer was awful, it leaked, was flimsy and after only 6 months it blew up! It was only after a lot of research that I bought the Morphy Richards and I'm glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot recommend highly enough!, 8 Feb 2009
SSmith (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
After much research and debate, I chose this steamer partly because of the good reviews but mostly for the price. I wasn't disappointed. It's very easy to use, very easy to clean, and everything I've cooked in it (various veg, potatoes, rice, chicken, salmon) tastes delicious (much nicer than previous cooking methods used) and it's great to know it's more nutricious as well. The size is just right. Mostly, I cook for two adults and one child, and I've not even used half the space available, but it's there for when we next have guests for dinner.
Overall, I am very impressed and am telling everyone I know to get a steamer! At this price, this one is a real bargain and I cannot recommend it highly enough.