1 Review

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe trying to be "Sex & the City"?, 31 Mar 2008
If I read ONE MORE romance where the author "name drops" about the women's footwear! Do other women really WANT to read about that? If so, sorry; I'm not one of 'em. Do more character development.
Anyway...I do enjoy the interaction between these friends and co-workers.
AllHeart.com is an internet greeting card company and even though it seems as though the characters' relationships are "sewn up" in the second one of these books, I hope for more on these characters, especially on Elyssa, Carole and Dana.
Elyssa is the owner of AllHeart and a real mover and shaker in the business world. She meets Joe, a venture capitalist, when she decides she wants to go to the next level by growing her business. They have great chemistry but are wary of one another. Kathryn Shay is the author of this story and the reason I bought this book. She can do no wrong, as far as I'm concerned. I recommend those unfamiliar with her work to try out her firefighter books in addition to anything else she's written.
Alix was the graphic artist for AllHeart and I didn't care too much for her character or Marc, her love interest. He seemed like a player and she let him off too easily. Alix is cautious about getting involved with Marc because she has just broken up with her live-in lover and best friend who goes through an identity crisis, to say the least. But I won't give it away.
Besides Elyssa, Carole is my very favorite character in this book. She, too, has trust issues. The main one she distrusts is herself and her own instincts, after she hangs on way too long with her marriage to a guy who's a member of a rock band and a general ne'er do well. Carole is the ad sales rep for AllHeart and could sell ice to Eskimos, as the saying goes :) She meets Mitch on an airplane on one of her business trips and they are immediately attracted.
She tries to brush him off with the following, "Only two things could happen: a one night stand which would make me uncomfortable; or one of us will break the other's heart." She has such a smart-alec sense of humor and I loved that since Mitch works for a Senator. I forgot to mention that AllHeart.com is based in Washington, D.C. Anyhow, Mitch is a dreamboat and Carole finally realizes what a great guy he is.
Robyn is the youngest of the AllHeart staff and Elyssa's secretary. She's the sunny, all for love, look on the bright side type. I haven't read her story yet so I can't comment on this.
Even though I only gave this book 3 stars, try it and you might like it. The second installment of "Lipstick" is better than the first, maybe because I already knew the characters and was invested in their stories.
So it's well worth reading this one in order to be up to speed when you read book 2, which I highly recommend.

ARRAY(0xb61f1984)

The Lipstick Chronicles (1-4)
The Lipstick Chronicles (1-4) by Vivian Leiber (Paperback - 4 Nov 2003)
Used & New from: 11.95