5.0 out of 5 stars Up There With Ray, Paul and Noel
Published on 23 Aug 2007 by Sue

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe SOME of the hype....
Well if one thing is certain, this should win the award for the most hyped album of 2006 by quite some way. You can criticise your Mariah's and your Justin's all you want, but when it comes to over-blown hype, the indie crowd can ruckus with the best of them.
Published on 27 Mar 2006 by IWFIcon

5.0 out of 5 stars Up There With Ray, Paul and Noel, 23 Aug 2007
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
At 51, I am surely not the type of listener the Arctic Monkeys were aiming for. But, having heard Johnnie Walker play the track "Mardy Bum" and being wowed by it, I got a young colleague to lend me his copy of the album. It's wonderful. On first hearing, my "elderly" ears were about to dismiss it as a row, then the lyrics got through. I think Alex Turner is as excellent a spokesman for his generation as Ray Davies, Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher before him. Much more appropriate (and clever) than the whingeing of the likes of James Blunt. A superb album.

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit of fun, 20 Jan 2011
I'm probably in the biggest target target audience for this (late teen) but despite all the hype surrounding it along with all the criticism, I can't really see where most of the criticism comes from. If you're not into indie-rock then yes, you probably won't like the Arctic Monkey's debut particularly, but you're missing the point. The album is fulled with a bunch of fun and funky tunes with stories layered on top. Alex Turner, whilst his voice isn't as developed as say Humbug, adds to the rawness and feel of the record. The guitars and bass work well together to bring some neat tunes to the album, and the hard-hitting drumming is very well done, particularly on the album opener, "The View From The Afternoon".
My main gripe with this album is that each track isn't particularly different from each other, in terms of tone.

I ordered the Vinyl of this because I knew the CD wasn't very well mastered, and the large gate and sleeve is a nice addition to anyone's collection. The vinyl sounds allot nicer to my ears than the CD, with more smooth and audible bass, although there is still some compression applied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arctic Monkey's CD review, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
The CD arrived quickly, it was new therefore in a great condition and I love every single song on it, I would definitely recommend this CD to any Arctic Monkey's fan out there :D

4.0 out of 5 stars If you like them you like this album, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
Really simple, if your a fan, than buy it.
If you don't know it.... give it a shot, its quality stuff!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An album about life, 15 Dec 2012
M. D. Chapman (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
This is a great CD and yes its not new but remains current due to the descriptive lyrics. Great band, great album

3.0 out of 5 stars Believe SOME of the hype...., 27 Mar 2006
IWFIcon - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
Indeed the barrage of "the future of British music" hype that has surrounded the Monkeys in a way kept me away from them for quite some time. In fact, I'd completely ignored "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor" apart from the occasional MTV video watching spree, and it was only upon hearing latest single "When The Sun Goes Down", on Soccer AM of all places, that I really started to think that there may be something to them after all.
The pleasing news is that this indeed is a corking debut album, if not quite the corking debut album the "10 out of 10" NME review made it out to be. The two lead singles are quality indeed, and are only amongst the highlights on the album. "Mardy Bum" lives up to the promise of it's classic title, and the album kicks off on a stormer with "The View From The Afternoon". The pleasant surprise on the album is the slow-burning "Riot Van" which suggests there might be even better things to come from the band.
Lyrically the album is up there with Pulp for its quirky and unique look at British life (there must be something in the water in Sheffield) but the tunes don't always quite manage to live up to the words. Still it's an instant crowd-pleasing album and whilst it never quite totally lives up to the hype, there is enough here for you to see why the hype was forthcoming from certain circles.
And let's face it, anything which shows up the Kaiser Cheifs for the posturing show-ponies they undoubtedly are is worth a recommendation in my book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but not does it live up to the hype?, 22 Jan 2006
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
We've all bin listening to the arctic monkeys for months now. Patiently or sometimes impatiently waiting for the release of this album. In the main this cd is great but it could have been a lot better. If you're like me and downloaded many of the tracks during the run up to release then you will be disappointed. Most of the tracks have been changed and are not as good as the MP3s that you can download from the internet. The songs don't have the same kick as what the MP3 ones had, Fake tales of San Francisco for example doesn't sound as heavy and is a bit tame as is the new version of Dancing Shoes. It's also missing some of the best tracks from the arctics repertoire such as: Choo Choo, Wavin bye to the train or the bus and Cigarette Smoke.
Concluding my short review I'd sum up by saying that this album is great and surpasses many new indie bands. They're lyrically amazing and speak the truth, e.g. Certain Romance. However, I believe they should have left some of the tracks alone as the new versions aren't as good as the MP3 versions. It's still a great album though so don't be put off, make the final decision yourself as there is still a lot here to enjoy.
The main problem was probably that so much was expected from this album that it almost set itself up for disappointment. This album is great but it could have been so much better.
P.S. the cover/artwork and the name of the album is terrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awww... Aren't monkeys cute?, 10 May 2006
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
Possibly the most hyped band of the last ten years, the saviours of rock n' roll... The best band since time began... The most innovative group in decades... Nah.

The Arctic Monkeys are in danger of being buried by the hype that surrounds them, and I can't help thing their innate shyness and media avoidance campaign may be the only thing that has saved them being overexposed and destroyed like so many bands before them. While this album doesn't really live up to the hype it is nonetheless a cracker, bursting with catchy hooks and sharp lyrics. Musically it is an album that wears its influences on its sleeve from The Jam to Franz Ferdinand but its great strength lies in Alex Turner's lyrics.

Through a series of kitchen sink dramas he brings us into his world. We've all been in a relationship with a `Mardy Bum` (one of the album's high points), we've all met the sort of people who have ideas above their station, we've all taken taxi journeys and wondered how it can cost a fiver to go a few yards. The odd attack on record companied aside it ignores politics for these funny, warm stories coupled with genuinely catchy tunes and hummable melodies. I don't think The Arctic Monkeys are quite the equal of their reputation, and history is riddled with the corpses of next big things such as these, but on this evidence there's at least the hope that maturity might see them beat the hype yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this the best album of all time?, 23 Sep 2006
A. Tatton "Anna Tatton" (Leeds) - See all my reviews
When my boyfriend said 'You've got to listen to this album, this band are great', I was 'Yeh, yeh, yeh whatever. Typical music industry hype'. But I was absolutely wrong to draw that conclusion.

Not since Radiohead's 'The Bends' has an album been released and it has has had such a dramatic and positive influence on its audience. The lyrics to the music are modern poetry and the music is stupendous. It's life changing in so much as it gives you a positive view of musicians and the world, in that young people can analyse (and pleasure) the world around them so accurately.

In fact I think this album is better than 'The Bends'. Every song on it is an absolute classic, that nearly six months on, I am not tired of listening to it. Whereas, I didn't scour 'The Bends' cover for more snippets of trivia to satiate my junkie appetite for the band.

The melodies are as good as, dare I say it, The Beatles. The guitar leads are as good as any of the best rock bands I've loved. The bass lines are spine tingling; the best I've heard on 'I bet that you look good on the dance floor'. Gives a new dimension to the word 'bass'.

If I had to criticise, the album doesn't celebrate women as much as the Beatles, which is one of the reasons I love the Beatles so much. But then, to compare a band with the Beatles? I can't believe I'm doing it. I only love Abbey Road and the White Album more than this.

I want to go on a Arctic Monkeys tour of Sheffield - it'll do wonders for Sheffield's tourism industry. It's so good it makes me cry. And when I think I might have lost (my three copies of ) this album I break into a cold sweat. Hurry up with the next album boys.

4.0 out of 5 stars A smashing album, 5 May 2006
This review is from: Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not (Audio CD)
The Arctic Monkeys. You've got to give it to them, starting off as such a small band in Sheffield and within a few months have become a No.1 single band. Then refusing to come on shows like TOTP's and trying to calm the public down with all their don't believe the hype messages. And then saying to NME that they'll play in their "Breakthrough Bands Of 2005" tour but than refusing to headline it! So with two number 1 singles "I Bet That You Look Good On The Dancefloor" and "When The Sun Goes Down" under their belt we were eagerly expecting what next.

Well I can safely say that they've delivered a crackin' debut album, especially as they had been put under alot of pressure. It's no Definitely Maybe or Revolver (who on earth said they were better than The Beatles anyway?), but it sure is a decent album from a band who are pretty young and hopefully have only just started on their long line of great hits and albums.

My personal favourites include "Fake Tales Of San Francisco", "Riot Van" and "Mardy Bum". And everyones favourites seem to be "From The Ritz To The Rubble" and a great ending to the album "A Certain Romance", but it's all good stuff.

So then why only a 4? Well I like to give out 5's for not just great albums but also great bands. I wouldn't say the Arctic Monkeys have justified that title yet, simply because this is only their first album. But I did find one dissapointment with the album and that is, that certain songs are not on the album that clearly deserve to be. "Bigger Boys & Stolen Sweethearts" a B-side from "Dancefloor" is, without a shadow of a doubt, the Monkeys best track, and "Stickin' To The Floor" another B-side but this time from "When The Sun Goes Down" also deserves a mention. Lets hope these songs are featured in their new EP because they definitely deserve to be heard by a wider audience than just the single-buyers.

Anyway I'd hate to finish on a low so overall this album is in a way a Must-Buy to all. Lets hope we see more of the hard-working Monkeys in the future.

Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not by Arctic Monkeys (Audio CD - 2006)