5.0 out of 5 stars Great flashmeter!!!
Published on 11 Mar. 2010 by Kenly Mendoza Montoya

3.0 out of 5 stars Moderate for the price
Lightmeters seem either to be moderately expensive or ridiculously expensive. I got this one because it was the cheapest reputable one I could find at the time.

Overall its been good so far. Nice shape, easy to hold, easy to use. Better than no lightmeter. It does flash readings and ambient. Incident and reflective.

The drawbacks
Published 14 months ago by Jaysview

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flashmeter!!!, 11 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Sekonic Flashmate L-308S Digital Light/Flash Meter (Electronics)
As a photography film student I was in the search for a light meter since our film cameras dont have a built in flash meter ( in this case de arri sr3 ) At school we use the sekonic 758 the most advanced sekonic flash meter. I was under a budget so I decided to go with the L-308S and I am so glad I did. It is a breeze to use. You have the option to put the shutter in film mode. It is so light weight. It fits easily in any pocket. The best part is that it uses a AA battery and that is it. Other light meters use special batteries that are harder to find and usually you can only buy them at specific shops.

In conclusion it is a great light meter. I highly recomended. Personally I prefer the L-308S over the other Sekonic light meters.

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st class, 27 Aug. 2012
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Before buying a flashmeter, you should probably ask yourself why you want one or need one, for that matter. Most digital cameras will give you a sufficiently accurate reading automatically; I used my camera automatic metering and it was alright, most of the time. However, if you want the best results and start to use manual settings, then a meter is essential. This meter will read ambient light as well as flash. In the use of flash it is accurate up to a 1/3 of a stop and is a positive aid where you need pinpoint accuracy in terms of d.o.f and exposure. I have been using it for the last several months and it has always been spot on. It is easy to set up and use, connects to your key light and triggers the flash with a press of a button; I recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars light meter, 6 Dec. 2012
it's simply great. It does the job- just set your ISO, shutter speed and off you go! ready settings there for you! with two sensor heads good for studio and sensor for outdoors- just change the mode.
I would put 'I love it' if there will be back light for screen in dark studio environment

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and reliable, 29 Dec. 2010
Cheatin' Jockey (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you're new to the world of Light Meters, Sekonic is a brand that seems to have been around forever in this space and is very well respected; it was an easy choice for me.

I purchased it for the flash meter function - I just got my first studio light set so rather than rely on trial and error for set-up I thought a meter would be a bit easier. The meter itself amply fills the palm of your hand and has all the buttons where you need then for single handed operation. It's very simple to use - you just tell it the camera ISO setting and shutter speed and set it to 'get ready to meter', hit the flash test button on your light's remote trigger and up pops the settings - spot on every time so far! The wireless system that came with my lights made it easy for me but even if your flash uses a cable trigger the Sekonic has a cable connection which means you can trigger stobes directly from the meter.

As well as a flash meter it also provides incident and reflected light readings. While this might seem out-moded I've found myself using it instead of the camera meter a couple of times already for certain subjects; it also makes you look like you know what you're doing...

It comes with a cord, carry case, battery and a different diffuser and as well as normal light metering and flash, it can also be used for cinematography and provide EV readings that can be converted to LUX via a table in the manual.

At 118x64x24mm (140x87x24mm in the case) my only gripe is the large size and light weight - if it was the same weight but smaller it would be great for travel but it is quite big and as such I fell it lends itself better to studio work, for which more weight would have given it a higher quality feel. For this reason I was tempted to give it 4 stars but it's nothing more than a personal preference and you can't really argue with the price/operation/accuracy making it a very good product, so for me it definitely gets a 5* rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and accurate, 26 Sept. 2011
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This unit is not the most fully featured light meter compared to some you can get you can get but for the price it does exactly what you need.

I've used mine a lot whilst working with studio flashes (which it fires once you attach a synch lead) and I've always found it to be very accurate, always giving me a bang on exposure. It's small (pocket sized) and very light yet feels well built and it's easy to work around a scene checking light levels in all the nooks and crannies.

It's also able to take reflected light readings - simply slide open the built in diffuse dome and it will work in much the same way as the built in light meter in you camera.

It's one of those devices that 'just works'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tool!!, 27 Feb. 2013
Very excited to actually take the step to buy this tool for my photography, i have read and watched so many you tube clips and reviews on pros and cons and how to use one that i came to the conclusion that its not a must tool to have but can be a great tool to have around!

Now i'm not going to go on about the hows and whys this tool works because as iv'e already said iv'e done my research and so should you before investing in a light meter, as with most tools for photography there are are different models that have different features and the more expensive ones in the sekonic range anyway have more of these. You have to work out from your own research ie what photos you wish to shoot, to what features you wish to have on the light meter to match those situations.

As for the L-308s model this is the budget end so the least in features, don't get me wrong it meters light and is very accurate, and has already put my camera light meter to shame in more than a couple of situations and given me fantastic results on my exposure, having said that if you want to be creative with your flash and or natural light and want to muck around with the exposure to give yourself a mood or texture to your photos i say it can be a good starting point to use a light meter and then add the mood.

This is a great light meter which will be in my kit bag for years to come and will help me with my exposures until the camera meter proves it wrong.

Thanks for reading hope this helps!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and reliable, but do read the instructions to see how much more this gem can do for you., 27 Sept. 2014
This is a brilliant piece of kit to have in your camera bag. If you want to take a photo exactly as your eyes see it, simply hold the Flashmate towards the light source. An example might be some books on a table for a still life shot, possibly high contrast and it will give you accurate results.
If you want to make an image as you see it, for example if nothing in your image needs to be darker or lighter, simply point it at your light source: window, flash, sunlight etc. And, if you want to lift shadows or reduce highlights to an average value simply point it towards the camera. It really is that simple. Remember though, snow, sand and pale skin do need to be about +1 to 2 EV (exposure value) depending if sunlit or diffused sunlit conditions to avoid over exposing highlights.
But overall, like I said earlier, if nothing in your image needs to be darker or lighter, simply point it at your light source and set the displayed settings. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS AND SET IT UP TO MATCH YOUR CAMERA PREFERENCES SUCH AS 1/3, 1/2, OR FULL STOP VALUES.
You can view the manual here: http://www.sekonic.com/downloads/l-308s_english.pdf
The above refers to incident light falling on your subject with the sliding lumisphere.
The meter also reads reflected light by sliding away the lumisphere.
And can help with contrast ratios using the supplied flat face lumidisc which is also useful for reading light for copying flat documents etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars No flash in the pan, 18 Dec. 2009
A very useful Flash Meter, easy to use. For just starting up in Studio Work. Also a great back up if you have a more complicated meter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Flashmate L-308S, 4 Jun. 2010
I. Williams "Square Eyes" (Surrey,England) - See all my reviews
A neat fit in your pocket piece of kit. Easy to use and accurate, compared to alternatives can be bought at a reasonable price, nicely finished. If your Weston has given up the ghost as mine did I would recommend this to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 10 April 2014
Sekonic pitch this as a budget flash meter. Frankly I really don't know what other bangs and whistles you need. Maybe only a backlight but I only realised that when I read one of the other reviews and cannot see how the hike in price of a meter with a backlight would be justified. Buy a torch!

Having gone through a painful journey in which my reliance upon TTL flash metering has been shattered I now always use my speedlites on manual for total control and consistency. The only way to properly achieve balanced lighting is with a meter, then of course confirming your decisions with a couple of test shots. I also photograph on film (remember film anyone?) and a meter is essential; as it is when using continuous lighting on analogue or digital.

The meter provides a concise reading and I've read some ill informed complaints that its unhelpful. Frankly if you don't understand the principles of reciprocity or are not prepared to learn, then put your camera on auto and forget you ever read this!! This is a great meter at any price.