5.0 out of 5 stars Truly heartwarming
After viewing this film with my family I said 'They don't make films like that anymore' and then I checked myself. This is a modern film but it is made by old school rules. The pacing is excellent. The actor's superb. The cinematography lovingly carried out. It will go down as a classic adaptation of the well loved story. Max von Sydow is perfect as...
Published on 11 Jan 2006 by Michael Prestwich

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great
I've seen many different versions of Heidi and even though this does stay pretty true to the book, I didn't like it very much. It's hard for me to say exactly why I didn't care for it, but I think my problem with it was the acting. It seemed very akward at times and even though the girl who plays Heidi is adorable, she didn't come across as Heidi. The best version of...
Published on 15 Feb 2010 by C. Burman

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful film to be enjoyed by everyone, 7 Dec 2009
Nigel Mc (The Chilterns) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
An absolutely charming film that will delight the whole family. Excellent acting. I came across this film by chance after watching 'In America' and being blown away by the excellent performance of Emma Bolger. I immediately wanted to know if she had performed in other films.

Keep a box of tissues with you as you approach the end of the film - despite the happy, uplifting end. Definitely a film to enjoy with subsequent viewings and a must to purchase as opposed to renting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing compared to the book, 18 April 2011
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
This version speeds too quickly through the story. It also changes important aspects. For instance, the reunion between Heidi and her grandfather following Heidi's absence in Frankfurt, is not the joyful one described in the book, but makes grandfather more taciturn than necessary. This was deeply disappointing as one tends to await that joyful reunion with eager anticipation. The actress playing Heidi is far older than the little five year old curly headed child of the book. An older child playing this part just doesn't work, since part of the guiless innocence of the character is due to her extreme youth. The soft hearted love of the child for the old blind grandmother is really given insufficient treatment as with her friendship with the doctor. I found this dvd very disappointing and don't recommend it for true Heidi enthusiasts!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... it again and again so it was obviosly a great success and your service was as good as ever ..., 7 July 2014
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
this dvd was bought for a four year old who has watched it again and again so it was obviosly a great success and your service was as good as ever thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable film, 20 May 2014
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
Lovely version of the film. Enjoyed by all the family (including 7 year old boy and girl aged 10). Inspired 10 year old to read the book after.

5.0 out of 5 stars best loved book, 25 April 2014
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
A wonderful book that brought my childhood back to me, so real and true to life that brings reality back to everyday life

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely film, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this for my Mum for mother's day and she said she loved it. A beautiful film. It did raise a tear or two.

3.0 out of 5 stars Close to the original story, but a bit flat, 12 Sep 2013
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
I love the classic children's story `Heidi', and while I haven't read it for some years, I felt that this adaptation kept pretty close to the original. The story follows orphaned Heidi (Emma Bolger) who goes to stay with her grumpy grandfather (Max von Sydow) when nobody else wants her. They grow to love each other, only to have Heidi snatched away by her aunt, to be companion to the wealthy but disabled Clara...

The scenery is stunning at times but the pace is a bit slow; moreoever, although the adults were well in character, we found the child actors a bit disappointing. Peter (Sam Friend) was mostly believable, Clara (Jessica Claridge) seemed rather twee and unreal, and Heidi herself, though believable in places, seemed over-done, with exaggerated yawns and tears at times, and a faint Irish accent coming through which seemed rather incongruous.

Still, a likeable film that would probably be enjoyed by children of any age who have enjoyed the classic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was very good, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
Another one for my grand children I also read the book to my children so grand kids will enjoy this very much

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
My grandaughters both enjoyed the DVD .It was close to the original story ,good characterisation ,on the whole ,within a beautiful setting,

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Heidi [DVD] (DVD)
Was so pleased to see this DVD advertised as its 1 of my favourites from years ago, and as I'd not seen it to buy anywhere didn't think it was available to buy. My girls love it, I love it & as it came packaged well & within the time stated it gets the full5 stars & a recommendation from me for any one to buy it.

Heidi [DVD]
Heidi [DVD] by Paul Marcus (DVD - 2009)
5.00