‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly ITV'S finest comedy, 24 Nov 2006
P. Tipton - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
Like many of the reviewers I have been bowled over by just how well this series has matured over time. When the series first aired I was only five years old, and its whole run covered a lot of my childhood. The fact that I could enjoy it as a child and do so again now at the age of twenty-four, albeit in different ways, illustrates the depth of this programme. Great comedy makes you care about the characters; however feisty Brenda might be you're still rooting for her all the way, hoping that she and Malcolm get together properly. They're an odd match but utterly believable at the same time. We probably all went to school with a Brenda and a Malcolm and therein lies the secret of much great comedy. I can't wait for further releases of the remaining series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watching - Laughing, 23 Jan 2007
G. A. Dickens - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
Sat down today to watch 1 or 2 episodes on my day off - ended up watching the whole DVD through. Found myself laughing out loud as I did when I first watched it as a student. Having now lived in the area it's set and spent many enjoyable hours birdwatching on the Wirral coast the reality is even stronger than ever (my wife has about as much interest in birdwatching as Brenda!) One of the most underrated but genuinely funny comedy series of the 80's. The styling is very much of that time, yes we really did dress like that, but the humour is timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Offbeat, but with a genuinely good heart, 18 July 2006
N. REES "snig-snig" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
Its fantastic to see Watching finally released on DVD, Series 1 at least, and my fingers are crossed for further series coming soon.

I adored this show as a teenager, and its wonderful to see it again as an adult. The first series is a slightly strange affair. Intended for an 'adult audience' the original script was littered with expletives, but were dubbed over with less offensive adjectives as the TV schedulers tried to decide where exactly the show should be placed in the schedule. Showing at 10pm on its launch, the series became more and more 'mainstream' with timeslots to match, but the humour remained strong.

There was always something very special about Watching. It may not have had the budget of other comedies of the time, and this first series almost feels like a regional-only production, but that special something hit me while 'watching' it back as an adult. Theres is a real-ness, and a wonderful heartwarming feel from all the main characters, which sets Watching head and shoulders above its contemporaries of the time.

Please Network, release all 6 series for us to enjoy again!

5.0 out of 5 stars watching, 15 July 2006
D. Burchett "Taodave" (Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
This has really held up well over time and is still my favourite comedy. It stillfeels just as fresh and funny and just good-naturedly humerous as the first time i remember seeing it. Just one question - how long will we have to wait for series two?

5.0 out of 5 stars At last.., 5 April 2006
Jenny (Oldham, Greater Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
Watching was my favourite television programme when I was little- and I mean when I was little. I was only born in 1984, and I think the series finished when I was about 8!
I have been searching the web for ages for DVDs of Watching, and I was so excited when I found this one released. You cannot beat the humour and the wit in this sitcom- one of the cleverest around, with real character development that makes you feel really close to Brenda and Malcolm.
Hurry up and release the other series- they only get better and better!

5.0 out of 5 stars At long last, 2 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
I have been waiting for the Watching series to be released on VHS/DVD for years and I have not been disappointed. The script is still fresh today and combined with excellent casting and acting it should be held up to today's TV companies as an example of how to produce a superb sit-com. No foul language - no unbelieveable plots - just a brilliantly crafted script and excellent comic timing both verbal and visual.
Please hurry up and release ALL the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please show 'the new generation' what we've missed., 31 Mar 2006
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
This is some of the best comedy TV I've ever seen - I didn't see it the first time round, and only vaguely recognised a few people in it - but it was fantastic. I would never have seen this had my mum not have bought it for my Dad. What else did the writer write, and where did Emma Wray go? I remember seeing her in a sit com called 'A Wonderful Life', and thinking how funny she was in a mediocre program, and the lines were rubbish. She was brilliant in Watching - I can't believe people at Granada TV didn't keep hold of her, and write something worth putting her in. Hope it's not too long before the other episodes are released - so I can see what happens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good 19 years on..., 18 Mar 2006
L. Osborne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
How time flies! This was one of my favourite programmes as a teenager, and I really enjoyed it back then. I was pleased to see the DVD release, and keen to see the show again to see if it had aged well.
It has!
Unlike a lot of sitcoms, the characters have some real depth to them - beneath the surface, there are moments where Brenda seems quite vulnerable, especially towards the end of this first series. You can't help but like Brenda and Malcolm, despite everything, and the whole thing draws you in and raises lots of smiles and laughs.
Well acted by a great cast, with a sharp, witty script, it's only dated by some fairly grim 80s fashions, and I have to say I never liked the theme tune, but other than that...go see. I too hope that further series are released, and it's good to see everyone here being positive, as it must boost chances of further releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars is he vibrant is he hell, 6 Mar 2006
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
wow i never realised just how funny this was!!! the gorgeous Emma Wray is so cute and would be a real pain to date but you cant help REALLY liking her, i want more of this so please network dont take forever to release them it is romantic and funny and worth more than five stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see Emma again!!, 26 Feb 2006
This review is from: Watching: The Complete First Series [DVD] [1987] (DVD)
A great underated sitcom during it's run. Still very funny, with each episode crammed full of quickfire scouse wit. I had such a crush on Emma Wray when I was 17 (back in 1987), I wrote to her once and she sent me a signed picture.
Ploughed through the DVD within a day so now I'm hoping that Network release the rest of the series sooner rather than later.
And Emma, if you're reading this - how about a dinner date sometime?!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›