4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh, Childhood Memories

Published on 14 May 2010 by M. A. Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahh, Childhood Memories, 31 May 2006
S. Carolan (Wirral, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
I remember watching this film with my little brother, as kids, and loving it. The next time it was on our t.v. dad videoed it for us and we watched it over and over again. How we'd laugh when my brother would put on a creepy voice and say "If it be a natural thing, where do it come from? Where do it go?" And to this day I can't pass an old fashioned tea urn without asking if "they've tea urned the gas on". Our dad told us that, as a kid himself, he went to see the film at the local cinema and that for weeks afterwards all his mates at school were quoting it.

So imagine my delight at finding it on DVD. That old video tape was getting pretty worn out. O.K. Arthur Askey's humour is a little distracting, but the actual story is a belter. When the ghost train makes it's appearance it's pretty scary stuff. This plot has been done numerous times, but this is by far the best version. And what a surprise to find that it was written by Arnold Ridley, none other than Private Godfrey from Dads Army!

4.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia at its best, 8 Mar 2007
R. Pearce "Bob Pearce" (Londinium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
Arnold Ridley (Dads Army) is in sparkling form as the playwright who scribed this b&w gem. A very good story , reasonable acting and a very atmospheric set. I suppose you could describe the category as comedy , although my preference is Comedy/thriller. The main action is set in a Cornish Railway junction station , where a group of travellers are forced to spend the night at , owing to a missed connection. The station holds scarey secrets which are revealed during the night. Well worth watching !! ps Railway buffs will pick up the continuity error of two different trains in the same sequence , in the early stage of the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ghost Train, 1 Feb 2006
Mr. J. Powell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
When i first saw this wonderful little film, i was about 15 and my Dad taped this film on video for us all to watch, i had no idea what it was about, but after a couple of minutes i was hooked. Its constantly funny throughout, thanks to the wonderful talent of Arthur Askey. Its a simple story, a group of passengers arrive at a disserted old train station, which infact is haunted by a suppose GHOST TRAIN that runs at night, but the passengers decide to stick it out due to bad weather - which by now you can tell this is a british film.
I cant stop praising this film it has become an instant classic at my home and I hope many others. Its very eerie in places too, but with the odd chill comes a joke. Its a cosy old british gem that should be anyones catalogue for those who like there humour and story
The Ghost train is a real treat for all the family - I like to thank my Dad for finding this treat - thankyou!
watch it on a cold sunday winters eve with a box of chocolates -thats what i will be doing!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful British comedy, 23 Feb 2007
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
There is something immensely comforting about black and white films from this era and The Ghost Train is a delight. Whether you like Arthur Askey or not (and he had many critics), his energy is that of the old music hall performers who had learned how to strike a spark with a live audience night after night, and it's impossible not to be swept along by his energy. In this slightly altered version of Arnold Ridley's play, Askey is the irrepressible but exasperating comedy turn, bound for what one suspects can only be a third-rate booking at a provincial theatre, but caught up in half-comic, half-spooky events at a deserted railway station. The minor characters are a delight - Kathleen Harrison as the abstemious spinster with the caged parrot: Edna and Herbert as the gloomy couple about to be married: the doctor who's a little too fond of a tipple, "Purely medicinal, you understand..." And, of course, the ghost train itself - "If it be a natural thing, where do it come from, and where do it go...?"

I have loved this film for many years, and I'm so pleased that it's finally come out on DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars forgotten treasure, 10 Dec 2008
G. R. Donaldson (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
I was delighted to find this film available on dvd. It evoked great childhood memories of wintery days snuggled up watching old films. The disc aside from a chapter index has no extras. But its worth it to see Arthur Askeys unique acting style and the elegant Richard "Stinker"Murdoch hamming it up for all their worth in this classic creepy comedy. I was suprised to discover that it was based on a play written by Dads Army legend Arnold Ridley. I never knew he was a writer and judging by this film a pretty good one. As with many "Old Dark House" type comedies it oozes atmosphere and the supporting cast are uniformly good. It perhaps hasnt aged that well but its certainly worth a look, even just for old times sake.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crusty old comedy, 15 Jun 2007
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
With Bob Monkhouse appearing from beyond the grave recently, it's apt to mention that he was the last person(he had an amazing film library)to own a copy of the original"The Ghost Train"it was ruined by HM Customs whose X-ray equipment wiped the negative.The remake split the lead character into Arthur Askey and 'Stinker'Murdoch.Stranded rail passengers in a remote Cornish station become involved in a local legend concerning a ghost train.Strange events materialise and the finger of suspicion points to the different rail travellers.Both atmospherically funny and fraught with suspense.It has to be said,Askey was born to play Tommy Gander,a third rate comic, responsible for the missing connection that left everybody marooned on an eerie deserted railway halt.Throughout the film he is an annoying,always performing bad jokes,little irritant(not unlike his real show biz personna)irking everyone.Murdoch plays the suave randy charmer with a hidden secret.This is a little treasure of a film that should be watched late at night in the dark.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brash, corny and nonstop...and it sure isn't Masterpiece Theater, 13 July 2007
C. O. DeRiemer (San Antonio, Texas, USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
There was a type of British comedy film which they were careful never to send over to the States. I suspect it was because in their hearts they knew that some time in the future Masterpiece Theater was going to do more for America's image of Britain than Churchill, the Tudors and Noel Coward would do rolled into one. And these comedies would make Masterpiece Theater unbelievable. These were comedies that were just as brash and broad as Coward's diction was clipped and upper class. They were comedies for the working class, and in Britain that could be a bad thing as well as a good thing.

Sometimes the condescension is overwhelming. The stars were household names in England. Most of them came from the music halls and often were equally big on radio. A few even managed to survive television. We're talking names like Will Hay, Tommy Trinder, George Formby, Arthur Askey and quite a few more. And if Churchill gave the Brits courage in World War II, these men and women kept them smiling through. The Ghost Train, a big hit for Arthur Askey, is a first-class example. In a word...it's awful. But put yourself back in those days, imagine yourself a hardworking bloke who might not survive the next bombing, and see if you don't wind up laughing at Askey's endless shenanigans, his irrepressible optimism and his terrible jokes.

Tommy Gander (Askey) is a short bundle of energy who is always on. He's a song and dance comic traveling by train to his next music hall engagement. And when his hat blows off, he immediately pulls the emergency stop, runs to get the hat, and trots back to the train. From this, the train is late to the next station...so six passengers miss their connection...and the next connecting train isn't until morning...so the small group must stay overnight in the deserted train station...which has a ghost story attached to it about a years-ago crash and a phantom train that roars by with death on board. When a horrendous rain storm blows up, the electricity starts to fail. There's no food except what the passengers can share. And then death appears. The sullen station manager who had left for help shows up at the door in the rain, clutching his heart...and apparently murdered.

Through it all, Tommy Gander almost skips with energy, making things worse, joking so often and so terribly the other passengers (and us) want to shove him into a piece of luggage. He sings and does a dance, he looks on the bright side, he feeds brandy to a spinster, he manages to locate water for tea only by standing in a downspout downpour. He is one of the most exhausting comedians I've ever seen. But he and his friend, Teddy Deakin (Richard Murdoch, who in old age played Uncle Tom in the Rumpole series) save the day in more ways than one. Think fifth columnists, unlawful arms delivery and a train that arrives in the rain which isn't a ghost.

I'm fond of old stuff like this. Askey and those like him are a window into a part of British life you'll never get in the U. S. on Masterpiece Theater. The DVD is in better shape than you'd expect. There are no extras.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Train Nostalgia, 14 May 2010
M. A. Taylor "Malec" (Notts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
Just got to say that, as children we watched this on a 16mm projector in the school assembly hall,I purchased this nostalgic film for this reason, very "Old Hat" a look into yesteryear's sense of humour, very annoying in places, but a great reminder and well worth watching to see what entertained us in the byegone days. Good deal from the seller, cheaper than on the general ebay list.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gunrunning Fun, 22 April 2010
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
I remember seeing The Ghost Train on the London stage in the 1970's. With Wilfred Brambell heading an excellent cast it was hammed up gloriously and great fun. This 1941 film, and I am a lover of early black and white films, is a little disappointing. This is a pity because all the ingredients of a true thriller; the lonely railway station, stranded passengers,appalling weather and strange happenings are there in this Arnold Rigby classic.
The main problem for me is the silliness of the principal stars. Arther Askey who I remember with affection, is just too much to take. His antics border on the ridiculous whilst "Stinker" Murdock is hardly credible. There is of course a great deal to enjoy. Kathleen Harrison is marvellous as usual and Raymond Huntley, Peter Murray-Hill and Carol Lyne turn in good performances.
I do not dismiss this film out of hand because I did enjoy it.It has a loyal following which I appreciate, and I agree that it must be viewed in the context of its time and, as a period piece, is well worth a watch. For me though, the tension wasn't quite there.

5.0 out of 5 stars At last on dvd ..., 7 April 2006
Niall ONeill (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] (DVD)
For years I wondered would I ever see this old classic on dvd as my precious well worn copy on vhs from over 20 years ago is wafer thin at best.
I 1st seen this film as a 6 year old kid and was hooked in and it has mainatained as one of my favorites to this day.
A perfect film on a cold rainy night or i find it best if you have a cold/flu, wrapped up in bed, put this film on, its great.
Thank you amazon for making my day by having this dvd on sale.

Ghost Train [DVD] [1941]
Ghost Train [DVD] [1941] by Walter Forde (DVD - 2006)