5.0 out of 5 stars The best recording of the best musical!
Published on 4 April 2005 by J. Hall-Turner

3.0 out of 5 stars Well, It's not what you see onstage...
But it's the closest recording to the current London Show. Good points about this CD: It's cheaper than the OLC, Rolling Stock and Pumping Iron are done well.
Bad Points: Not many of the Leads can sing well (They were cast for their skating ability), A LOT of good songs are cut out, the races get really annoying.......... Basically, it's not a very good CD...
Published on 28 Mar. 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars The best recording of the best musical!, 4 April 2005
Well, where to start, the songs on this CD show the musical how it should be presented. The singers are great and songs are fantastic. You should definitely choose this CD over the New (London) Starlight Express recording. The only thing I think the New recording has over this one is three tracks : Crazy, Coda of Freight, and the Megamix. This however has Call Me Rusty, A Lotta Locomotion, He Whistled At Me, Belle, Girls' Rolling Stock, Only He and Only You and a slightly different Light At The End Of The Tunnel. These are the basic differences, with there being others which are smaller, less obvious differences.
Starlight is my favourite musical of all time. I have had this recording on some medium or other since I was 4 (15 yrs ago) and I have managed to wear out every copy I have owned - I love it that much. I think it is probably true to say that you would have had to see the show live on stage to fully appreciate it however. This recording does sound quite dated and is quite blatantly 80s, however some of the tracks (A Lotta Locomotion and He Whistled Me) are so 80s that they would pass as cool/retro nowadays.
For anyone who has seen the UK tour recently, neither this or the new recording is completely relevant to the show, with two of the songs not available on either and others with different lyrics in the show to the recordings. I would suggest this one (although both would be ideal) as some of the sung bits between songs on the tour featuring in full here (No Comeback), and also featuring a lot more of the introductions/lead-ins to the songs.
In conclusion - the best Starlight recording I own.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original and the best!, 17 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
I too was disappointed by the new recording of Starlight Express - I felt it lacking in the drama, tension and magic of this original version. This original recording really echoes the time of the musical (the eighties) but also brings a new pop/ rock influence new to musicals at the time Starlight opened in 84. There is more conversing between the characters in the original (indeed, some characters such as CB have been completely missed out in the new version which is a real shame)and we witness more of the development of the relationship between Pearl and Rusty. The only reason I can think of that made Lord Lloyd Webber change this fabulous musical is to make it more child friendly - the original music and settings were certainly darker and more sophisticated, and all the better for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only This, 26 Nov. 2003
M. C. Cresswell - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
A couple of reviewers have got this confused with the dreadful New Starlight Express recording issued in 1993. Let's be clear: this one here is the real deal - the original, 1984, live-recorded London cast double album, in all its wonderful, tacky synth, cheesily-orchestrated, pop/rock power glory. Literally, buy no other Starlight recording than this. It beats all others hands down. Play it loud, or not at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 29 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
It's very hard to put in words just how magical and fantastic this soundtrack is. So many great songs, with truly unforgettable melodies that will STICK in your head. The mixture of musical styles, '60s rock, '70s funk, '80s electro-pop provides a real feast for the ears. One thing is clear, Andrew Lloyd Webber is a genius!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Starlight Express, 7 Jan. 2004
Released four months after the show opened in March 1984 this is the only recording that is a genuine reflection of the original show. Including such famous singers such as Jeffrey Daniels and the late Stephanie Lawrence it really allows you to listen to the music as it was originally written.
Over the years many new versions have been released but none of them match this for the true Starlight experience.
Listening to this recording is the closest you are ever going to get to being back at the Apollo Victoria during the shows first year. First class and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any ALW fan, 30 Jan. 2001
By A Customer
If you don't have this difinitive version of the show then you MUST buy it! It's a lot beter than the "New Starlight Express" and the orchestrations are amazing (although if you're used to the latter this may take a bit of getting used to). Stilgoe's lyrics are endearing and the score includes one of the best ALW numbers of all time "I Am the Starlight" which is probably the most inspiring song in any musical ever! There really isn't enough I can say about this recording. Highly, highly recommeneded

4.0 out of 5 stars I Love It But..., 25 Feb. 2008
K. Boddy "N.V.R" (Cornwall, UK.) - See all my reviews
I don't think the NCR is that bad.

I am very prejudiced towards the OCR, seeing as this recording was bought for me for my ninth birthday and started my love affair with this musical.
However, I do agree with some other reviewers that to a modern audience some of the tracks may seem laboured or slow compared with what they are used to now. I was lucky enough to see it for the first time very recently (The Third Dimension Tour), and although what I heard was not what I was used to I have to say I enjoyed it immensely, and even preferred some of the updated songs (Race Time, for example, was far more like a rap in my opinion than the original version of The Rap). I would've liked a recording of the new tour soundtrack, or (hope upon hope) a DVD release - though so many purists don't like the 3D races. But I digress...

I suppose which recording you prefer all rests on which one you heard first, or which one means more to you.

I would still recommend the OCR to anyone interested in the show, even if it is only to see how it all started off. It IS worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars who says its the best..., 1 Jan. 2007
Well, it seems that all the reviewers here are die-hard OCR fans!

I have to disagree...maybe because I'm too young to appreciate the 1980's, i ADORE the New Starlight Express (ALW's second version of the show). After being used to the newer version, many of the songs on the OCR seem a bit slow and laboured (rolling Stock especially). I also much prefer Greg Ellis as Rusty to Ray Shell.

I absolutely LOVE this show, and after seeing The Third Dimension on tour, it was interesting to see how they have changed it once again, re-writing The Rap and Lotta Locomotion, and putting the character of the Red Caboose back in along with the song Only You (which was replaced by Make Up My Heart in the second version).

The thing that I was most relieved about when I heard this recording was that Poppa is the same guy on both this and the new version...thank goodness, because he has the MOST stupendous voice!!

So...if you are a Starlight fan, this is a great CD to have...even though I personally prefer the NEW version!

5.0 out of 5 stars certainly brings the starlight out for me, 6 Feb. 2011
Clipper 314 (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Starlight Express (Audio CD)
Never really heard of Starlight Express but whilst on holiday watched an absolutely excellent mimed performance (on roller skates of course), by the hotel entertainers (Animax)... even had a racing circuit through the audience... and just about figured the story out. So, never having seen the proper stage show I opted for the Original cast recording as advised by existing reviews and would say this is the one to go for...as with other films or shows the raw energy comes through on this production.. something often lost wwhen polished singers get their hands on a score. Great stuff and top marks, you should thorougly enjoy this if you've seen the stage show or even if not... I'll be looking out to see it whether its still on anywhere !

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Starlight Express (Audio CD)
Having been to see the 2012/13 Starlight Express tour, I decided to buy the original cast recording, however I went for the new one first which is great but has (obviously) got many of the songs either missing or replaced. The Original cast recording features a much more complete version of the music and includes some of the songs no longer featured in the musical including 'There's Me', 'Only he/you', 'C.B' and 'No Comeback' which are really good in my opinion. I have enjoyed listening to this every day and would definitely advise any Starlight fans to add this to their collection.

Starlight Express
Starlight Express by P.P. Arnold (Audio CD - 2005)