5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
This double CD is, in my opinion, the best interpretation of Jesus Christ Superstar - the vocalists are amazing, Steve Balsalmo is the best Jesus (the Gethsemane on this CD is amazing,) Zubin Varla provides an incredibly powerful voice as Judas, Joanna Ampil has a strong Mary Magdelene, David Burt provides a brilliant Pontious Pilate (the song Pilate & Christ on this CD...
Published on 19 Jan. 2003 by mdchurchill

3.0 out of 5 stars Misses the targets all around...
What really annoys about this recording is the failure to match up to the material. The work is great - the performance and production is poor to say the least.

So what went wrong? My biggest single criticism is the cast. In the original recordings it sounded as if the singers wanted to be rock stars - now they sound like they want to be in a musical. Mary...
Published on 26 Jan. 2007 by The Sheep

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Definitive Recording, 9 July 2003
Once you've heard Steve Balsamo and Zubin Varla as Jesus and Judas Iscariot - no-one else will ever come close. This soundtrack is as inspiring and moving as the actual production itself (I should know - I saw it 11 times during it's run!!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless Production, 17 Nov. 2011
A. D. A. Davis "lodge41" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
This has to be the ultimate recording of arguably the best musical of all time. The entire cast is outstanding, but of particular note is Steve Balsamo, who, as others have said, excels in the lead role, never more so than in his extraordinary rendition of Gethsemane. But look what he has to work with! The rousing composition by Andrew Lloyd Webber, culminating in the haunting John Nineteen: Forty One, combined with the unrivalled lyrics by Tim Rice make this truly wonderful recording, and one you can listen to again and again. Astonishing that Lloyd Webber and Rice were just twenty three and twenty six respectively when it made its debut on Broadway back in 1971.

3.0 out of 5 stars Massive disappointment for me, 26 Sept. 2012
Dr. J. J. Green "Joe" (N Yorks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
I had high hopes for this after reading the other reviews but I'm sorry it just doesn't do it for me. My first introduction to JCS was the film, with Ted Neeley and Carl Anderson. I heard the original cast with Ian Gillan and Murray Head at a later date. I can't decide which is the best between the original cast and the film - both have their pros and cons, but both are ultimately fantastic.
Now we come to this shoddy 1996 performance. I really can't warm to it. The singers are good, but they just don't do the roles justice. Maybe in other musicals they suit the parts but not here. To be fair Judas is reasonable at times, but both Judas and Jesus sound plummy, and too refined. There is an absence of emotion throughout as they strive for enunciation. You can't do this when you are trying to portray emotion whether it be anger, sadness etc. Nobody enunciates to perfection when angry - words should be spat out.
As other reviewers have said the music leaves a lot to be desired. It sounds like a kids pantomime. I don't like musicals, full stop, but the music in JCS is fantastic so how have they managed to get it so wrong? I think at times the music has been sped up slightly, which gives it a rushed quality, but its also quite spartan at times - sounds like a bontempi organ playing on repeat at times. Maybe its because JCS wasn't originally a musical that it just sounds wrong.
I'll stick to Gillan/Head, or Neeley/Anderson in the future...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 July 2007
I had the luck to see Jesus Christ Superstar as a young man, a long, long time ago when it was playing in London in the 1970's. I then introduced my sons to the Musical when we saw a touring revival at our local theatre about 3 years ago. My younger son was 9 at the time. He has ADHD and yet he sat through the entire performance absolutely enthralled. My older (at the time 13 year old) son is into Heavy Metal, but he too was enchanted.
This recording is almost, but not quite as good as the live performance we saw. However, it remains very powerful and enjoyable and I return to it time and again.
I love listening to "Everything's Alright" and "I Don't Know How To Love Him" as well as "Gethsemane", but the haunting and beautiful "Could We Start Again Please" has to rank as one of the most powerful songs I have heard, particularly in this context. Whether one is Christian or not, just a little empathy on the side of the listener will ram home the truth that His Disciples and followers must have been absolutely terrified and confused when Jesus was arrested and condemned.
Lloyd-Webber and Rice created a masterpiece. I hope that it will come back to the stage in all its glory. In the meantime, make do with this good recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHRIST ALMIGHTY!!!, 8 May 2001
Mr. S. Squires (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
THIS HAS TO BE THE MOST AMAZING COLLECTION OF VOICES PUT TOGETHER THAT I HAVE EVER HEARD. TO HEAR THE GUY WHO PLAYS CHRIST SING GETHSEMANE HAS TO BE ONE OF THE MOST STIRRING RENDITIONS OF A SONG EVER HEARD IF NOT THEE MOST. HE JUST TOTALLY CAPTURES THE COMPASSION AND TEMPTATION THAT CHRIST MUST HAVE FELT LEADING UP TO HIS CRUCIFICTION. BUT LETS NOT LEAVE THE GUY WHO PLAYS JUDAS OUT MY GOD WHAT AN AMAZING VOICE, YOU CAN HEAR EVERY ANGERED EMOTION JUST ECHO FROM HIS VOICE. A FANTASTIC PRODUCTION AND LINEUP. MOST DEFINITELY WEBBERS BEST MUSICAL. IF YOU LOVE MUSIC AND TO HEAR GREAT VOICES THEN THIS HAS TO BE FOR YOU. PURELY BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Balsamo as Jesus is incredible..., 19 April 2012
horace femm (writing from my cell) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
this cd is truly fantastic simply because the voice of Jesus is Steve Balsamo, he is a musical genius, check out his gethsemane on youtube and you will be blown away, this show should have been filmed for future generations to be wowed. all supporting artists are exellent,but for me Steve Balsamo is one of the uk's best and most brilliant performers, buy it and weep !

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, 14 April 2015
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
This CD is my personal favourite of Jesus Christ Superstar, Steve Balsamo is superb in his role as Jesus and I do on occasion go on Youtube to watch him perform Gethsesane. The whole cast are wonderful Zublin Varla was also fantastic and has gone to do more successful projects. I truly recommend this soundtrack.

5.0 out of 5 stars JCSS CD, 27 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Jesus Christ Superstar (Audio CD)
An early version of this show with many fine vocalists. The lyrics have changed slightly in recent productions and tours but are still excellent for assisting learning the show. The tempo is to be admired, but difficult to emulate!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super superstar, 5 April 2011
This is the 3rd copy of this particular version of Superstar, it's the only
one my husband will listen to. The cast on this edition is excellent
and the orchestration superb. One of the best albums I have ever
listened to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!!, 20 Nov. 2012
This is an amazing musical, I am quite new to it, but I wanted to get it after watching Jesus Christ Superstar in Liverpool. I can recommend it and if you like Andrew Lloyd Webber music, it's a must have! Fabulous!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

Jesus Christ Superstar
Jesus Christ Superstar by Joanna Ampil (Audio CD - 2005)