5.0 out of 5 stars The best office suite on the market
Fed up of paying over the odds for an office suite I decided to try something new. I had heard of Sun Microsystems before but only from a hardware and mobile phone technology standpoint. I was a bit sceptical at first, but within hours of getting installed and started I have to say I was proven wrong.
The interface is clean and user-friendly [MS users you won't...
Published on 13 Feb 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars don't buy
Published on 28 Jan 2011 by david

5.0 out of 5 stars The best office suite on the market, 13 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
The interface is clean and user-friendly [MS users you won't notice the difference]. The suite meets all my needs and more, covering every aspect of day-to-day business that I need with the added bonus of having a built in PDF creator plus it has great added extras like the clipart library that puts others to shame.
The best part of the deal - well there are two. (1) It is fully compatible with MS - I can open all my old MS files and for those who don't have StarOffice I can save to MS so nothing lost. (2) The price - what other suite offers so much for so little. I would whole-heartedly recommend this to everyone and anyone who wants a simple-to-use / affordable office suite - give it a go

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value for Money, 21 Nov 2006
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I've been using OpenOffice for quite a while now, it was frustrating at first but just got better and better. I made the switch to StarOffice recently as I wanted a boxed version. I'm really pleased with this distribution; which is tighter more professional than OpenOffice, it's not as polished as MS Office, but somehow more useful and powerful, less annoying. I've not bothered with MS office for a while now, having left a version in the drawer since I can't get it to install on my new PC. From what I remember StarOffice is more compatible with older versions of office than Microsoft.
[..]

5.0 out of 5 stars Free is not always the best, 18 Feb 2006
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
As a small business owner I was looking for something affordable, easy-to-use and an "all-in-one" package - well look no futher. I am not a huge fan of Microsoft products however I work with so many companies that use it that I have no choice but to use it. NOT any more, since buying Star Office 8 I am a Microsoft free person.
Every part of the Star Office 8 Suite is compatible with Microsoft, so all the work I have done to date is safe and retrievable. I can even save work in to Microsoft format to send to my colleagues, accountant etc. It also has a pre-installed PDF creator which writes PDF's to Adobe standard - not something that Microsoft does.
A friend of mine recommended that I download the Open Office suite, which I did - the downloading was easy however I soon became stuck, I encountered some compatability issues and in order to get the latest version I had to keep downloading from the site. In addition as the Open Office Suite is constantly being worked on I found it was very unstable. I have spent a fortune on technical support as there is no support either. My advice, if you want an office suite that's not stable or bug free then go for it - be prepared to pay for the tech support though.
My advice - spend the £50 on a proper suite and be safe in the knowledge that it is consumer friendly and stable [and it doesn't cost over £300 like some) - thank you Sun for simply the best office suite on the market.

4.0 out of 5 stars Open Software try-out., 23 July 2011
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I has heard about the open software idea, but wanted to try things out with a proven product first. Open Office software is a little better than Star, so that is now what I have installed.

2.0 out of 5 stars don't buy, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I purchased Office 8 as an upgrade from version 6. The office suite as it is does everything you could want but the problem is lack of support. I had a problem converting my files from Office 6 to Office 8 I contacted Sun and they told me not to bother it doesn't work. So if you want an upgrade forget it and beware if you try to upgrade to Office 9 or above 'it may not work'

5.0 out of 5 stars Microsoft Office at a shareware price., 18 Sep 2011
D. FOSTER (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I ordered this and then had second thoughts, would it work with XP?
Fortunately my worries were groundless, it's working perfectly with XP and it's just like using Microsoft Office, except it's at a great price!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great software, but time has moved on...., 30 Jun 2008
Big Ben "fly_mo" (Bedford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
Star Office was a great tool when we first adopted it in the mid-90's - it would read and write Word files created under NT that Word itself was confused by. It would open and edit encrypted Office files, and more. Plus it did a great job. We bought a couple of updates over the years, although one office PC still has the original going strong on it.

But.... in the last couple of years we have moved to OpenOffice.org because it is essentially the latest version of this software, only free, with automatic updates from the free software community that arrive at a rate that is hard to match.

It IS good. But I would recommend that you download Open Office for free.

3.0 out of 5 stars only wanted documents, 7 Sep 2014
Mr. D. P. Bland "alibertie" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
could not get to work too difficult to work out

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb product, 4 Dec 2008
V. Levy "Vernon Levy" (Leeds UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
I have used StarOffice on and off since version 4. I have had a roller coaster journey with the product as it evolved and experienced many hiccups and performance glitches as it progressed through the versions. Many of my colleagues denounced the software as rubbish when it was introduced at work - they confused different with inferior and in all but one instance no-one has been able to demonstrate to me a function available in MS Office that is not available in StarOffice.

A testimony to its usefulness was when my son came to me with a problem that he was unable to resolve with an OpenOffice file. It was a surprise to me that he was using the functionally identical version of StarOffice and further enquiries revealed that he'd abandoned Microsoft Office 18 months previously and had used all but the database component without any migration problems at all.

I use the product at home and at work. I can recommend the product without reservation to all who use software with an open mind. The product will read and write MS Office documents eliminating software compatibility problems.

Now that version nine is out I am prepared to recommend it too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless - you can get better for free, 26 Dec 2005
This review is from: Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) (CD-ROM)
Star Office is a solid product, with standards-compliant default file formats and the ability to save in M$ Office formats when you need to exchange files with people who use that product, however OpenOffice (available from the appropriately titled openoffice.org for free) is a newer, easier-to-use version of the same product. Get that and save yourself fifty quid.

Star Office 8 (PC/Linux)
Star Office 8 (PC/Linux) by Avanquest Solutions Licences (Linux, Unix, Windows 2000 / 95 / 98 / Me / NT)