on 15 February 2011
Having been a long time and until recently a very satisfied user of Braun I have noticed a steady decline in build quality and rising prices for new cutters and foils. The last foil - bought some six months ago - decided to release both of the blades in the central trimmer while I was shaving and I narrowly escaped slicing my face open. P&G's customer service insisted I send the whole shaver back to them for "inspection" and that it could be up to three weeks before it would be returned. Asked what I do in the meantime elicited regrets but confirmed that was their policy. Refund the cost or replace the foil/cutter - sorry, that was not their policy (yes, that is what they said!!)
Other reviewers have suggested that since P&G took over, the product has been significantly downgraded in quality while prices remain high. I completely agree. Yes, I have bought another foil and cutter but that will be the last. When the next thing fails, I will buy another brand of shaver and place my Braun where it now truly belongs - in the bin.
on 7 June 2010
My Braun Activator razor (8 series) performs quite well except for the foil which generally lasts only four to six months before a hole appears in it and needs replacing. Braun's overly sharp marketing strategy leaves much to be desired given that foils can only be purchased in combined foil and cutter packs. At over £20 a pack shaving becomes expensive when up to three packs may be required in a year. I tried to raise the matter with Braun a couple of years ago but failed to get any response.
on 7 October 2009
This came instantly from Amazon and the price was comparable with other sites. I blame Braun for keeping the price high for what it actually is.
Shaver was good once more, but I think I will try a different make when this one dies.
All in all, I think Braun have priced themselves out of the market regarding spares and consumables. Especially their 'shaver wash re-fills'.
on 18 November 2010
May I add my concerns to those already mentioned, but which bear repeating. Braun's insistence on selling the foil and cutter together does not make sense unless it is a cynical ploy to increase sales of razor accessories. They deserve to be criticised for that. Actually, they deserve to lose sales of their razors, once people realise they are being ripped off when replacing the foil or the cutter and finding they have to buy both. (The same applies to their over-priced and superfluous "clean & renew" system which does nothing more than add to the planet's pollution problem, but that's another story). Like another reviewer, my foil snapped after just a few days' use. Amazon are supplying a replacement. I'll report my experience of the replacement in due course.

Amazon put the replacement in the post and trusted me to return the broken item. They also supplied a pre-paid postage label. Couldn't ask for more. As for the new foil it is identical so I now take extravagant care when removing it. So far, so good but Braun's reputation for excellence is severely tested by this fragile, cheap-looking and expensive bit of kit.

Addendum: Two years on and the foil is still going strong. I've taken to blowing the debris out every couple of days. Every week I charge the razor and give it a clean with the supplied brush. I've long since abandoned the overpriced "clean and renew" system.
44 comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2010
i wish that i had not thrown the old foil and cutter away. the replacement grabs hairs and i hve to press quite hard to get it to shave cheeks and it seems impossible to get a decent shave on the neck leaving skin sore.
i used to get a really good smooth shave - not any more
on 21 March 2011
I always buy genuine replacement parts and noticed the last time I bought a replacement foil & cutter, that the foil seemed of poorer quality construction.
In fact it has been fine and lasted a year, so I thought I'd replace it again.

This time the replacement is clearly very cheaply made in flimsy plastic and broke the first time I took it off to clean the shaver. Genuine Braun part @ £20, no doubt made in China for $3!

Amazon offered an immediate replacement or refund, needless to say I've taken the refund and put this rubbish where it belongs !
on 13 January 2011
The very next day the joints within the foil fell off, the plastic frame of the foil is almost 2 times thinner than my original foil, it gives a feeling each time I take it off to clean that this might break. Therefore, I hate this purchase.
on 10 May 2016
Although I think it is a bit of a fiddle that you can no longer easily buy just a foil replacement, without having to also buy the bundled cutting head, this is a good price for a quality product. Over time the foil heads inevitably wear and small holes develop which causes the cutting blades to tear at your skin so replacements have to be bought and this one made my ten year old shaver feel brand new.
on 18 April 2014
I've used the product for almost 2 weeks and, first indications, are good. It cuts well and feels smooth on the skin. The real test, however, is how long the cutting quality lasts. A genuine Braun product should last some 18 months before a replacement is needed. Some 'Braun foil and cutters' I have ordered via Amazon (but not with this supplier) have lasted as little as 6 months. It will be interesting to see how long this product lasts - thus my restricting to 4 stars at this time.
on 4 June 2011
The replacement foil and cutter revived my Series 5 Braun razor - gives a reasonable shave again. Not the best quality and not exactly cheap, but when you've paid out for an expensive Braun razor, what can you do? Which is exactly what Braun is counting on, of course!!!