Format: DVD|Change

on 10 March 2006
Adrian Monk the obsessive compulsive “It’s a both a blessing & a curse” detective, series three. Adrian was once a rising star in the San Francisco PD. Until the murder of his wife Trudy. Then his psychological disorders took over & he was suspended from the force. He is now employed as a private detective helping the SF police.
In my eye’s only goes from strength to strength. In season 3 we see (or rather don’t actually see) the departure of his assistant Sherona, Sherona first disappears in Mr.Monk & the Game Show, she’s visiting her ailing mother. And by the next episode Mr.Monk & the Red Herring we find that she’s moved back to New Jersey & remarried her former ex-husband. But seriously do not despair in this episode we have the arrival of his new assistant Natalie. Whom I have to say in keeping with the show is an excellent addition to the cast. She fits in almost seamlessly & adds a new tougher sparring partner for Mr.Monk. Natalie is such a great character that you very quickly warm to her & see her on the same par as Sherona.
Season three is as good if not better than 1 & 2. The Character of Mr.Monk is more rounded and comical. Tony Shalhoub has won critical praise for his portrayal of the dysfunctional Mr.Monk. Captain Stottlemeyer & Monk play off each other far more in series 3, than in previous series. Which adds even more comical situations. In all the characters are more rounded.
There are so many detective shows on TV, but this is so offbeat, comical & odd that you’ll either love or hate it. Personally I love the show; we’ve all met people with Monkish traits. We even all have Monkish traits about us. His selfishness because of his neurosis’s can be hilarious. This is because he is afraid of so many everyday things, including Milk! Don’t expect the run of the mill detective show, its cookie, clever & different. You’ll either love or hate it. Well worth buying if your already a Monk fan.
on 3 March 2006
NOTE: This box set contains 4 discs, not 6 as stated, and unfortunately for those of us who struggle with accents and bad hearing - there are no subtitles!
Series 3 takes us up to date with the episodes recently shown on UK tv, and includes Monk's new assistant Natalie. Each of the 4 discs contains an extra item - favourite episodes etc. Best episode of the lot is with the chimp - fantastic. The last episode of this season contains a small child to whom Monk gets very attached and it does get a bit schmaltzy, but the scene with Monk telling the boy about his late wife is a gem. UK fans will be pleased to know there is a season 4 so hopefully it will be shown here soon.
on 18 October 2006
I can't believe i waited this long to discover Monk. Tony Shalloub plays Monk excellently and the supporting cast all fit together perfectly. Without a doubt, my favourite episode in this series was Mr Monk takes his Medicine...i haven't laugh so hard and for so long for a while.

Watch it...it will imrove your quality of life sufficiently.
on 26 October 2006
My wife got me hooked on this & I've been buying it ever since.
I'll buy the next season (4) & watch it without first seeing it live on TV - blind faith in the quality of this excellent show.

On the negative side have you noticed how the packaging is getting thinner - not quite so impressive on the shelf (but to be fair other series have had the same treatment & it will take up less room).

The main reason I've knocked 1 star of off a so far un-tarnished record is the lack of English subtitles with this season (was this also due to cost saving along with the cheaper packaging?). I'd like to know why the region 1 version managed to get English subtitles & ours didn't.
Anyway you can't go wrong with this series, so buy it & enjoy.

Newer Information

I did buy season 4, and 5-8 all from the USA (region 1) because they have English Subtitles. So if you need subtitles you might want to do the same as me. Please be aware that Monk is very popular in the States & prices tend to be expensive (current poor exchange rates don't help). I bought mine over the years, keeping an eye out for the best prices, & finally got them. Also be aware that if you order from abroad the item (postage doesn't count) will incur English Government charges if the price is over £17.99.
on 21 May 2009
There's no doubt about it; Tony Shalhoub was born to play obsessive-compulsive police detective Adrian Monk. With his hangdog looks and hesitant manner, Shalhoub is thoroghly engaging and convincing in the role.
The third series sees Monk gain a new sidekick, Natalie, and the show has become even warmer and more humourous than it was at its inception. Great fun but also intelligent and personal, Monk is here to stay; thank goodness.
on 10 October 2013
We love Monk, quaintly quirky, wonderfully weird and above all, loveable.
Seen series 1 and 2 now on 3 and will be working our way through all series.
There are not many TV programmes that you can watch together with all the family or indeed that all the family want to watch together.
My eight year old grandson and my mid teen grandson will happily sit and watch these with my wife and I.
When I saw the last episode of Monk on TV, many moons ago, I have to say there were a few tears. I've no doubt there will be a few more when we work our way through to the last episode.
on 5 July 2009
A great TV series with a lot of humour. Monk is a suspended detective desperate to regain his police status. Following the death of his wife in a car bombing (case not solved) Monk has developed obsessive, compulsive behaviour and now has a 'nurse', Sharona, looking after him, she has a checkered past but heart of gold. In each episode Monk needs to solve an impossible crime whilst dealing with his compulsive behaviour.
on 5 September 2014
I find Monk a really easy to watch, funny and yet serious programme. I didn't watch it on TV and only really started watching it because we had nothing to watch but am really glad I did because it is really funny and I can see so much of my own anxieties in Monk as well (not quite as crazy as him though!). Plus for this price you can't really go wrong!
on 22 May 2011
I have always loved this program and so I wanted the product. It was such a pleasure to be able to just find it on Amazon and not have any trouble in getting it. The seller was fast efficient and it was packed well. I would deal again.
My wife loves Monk whereas I got a little fed up after series 2. This is definitely one of those series where you either like the main character or not. However you go, the story lines are always first class.