on 17 November 2005
When I first played this I immediately noticed that its speed has not improved compared to the previous 2nd edition. It still pauses between screens a bit and sometimes Chris` voice is slightly out of sync to his mouth movement.
The picture questions begin at the 1st milestone (£1000) but do not appear on every question until you get past the 2nd milestone (£64000).
On the good side, there are a few more humorous comments from Chris, especially when you lose early on in the game, which is quite funny.
Chris` enthusiasm is still brilliant which does help add to the excitement and anticipation especially if you're playing it with friends.
Overall if you are a WWTBAM fan or just want an easy entertaining DVD game to have fun with I do recommend you by this game. Despite the slight screen pauses, it is still an improvement on the previous version and it has brand new up to date questions.
You should be hooked for at least a couple of hours. Come Christmas time you'll probably be playing it all night!
Thanks for reading this - Cheers
0Comment|333 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2006
This was the first time I'd tried an interactive DVD game and I have to say that I was very impressed! Good, challenging questions for children and adults and it really seemed like you were in the hot seat on the TV with Chris giving a great performance as always. I thought the lifelines were good as they often gave a helping hand but didn't always automatically guarantee you the right answer. I had great fun with the family over Christmas playing this.
on 7 January 2006
Can't fault this game - I note the other reviews, but I experienced no bugs at all. It kept the family playing in teams each evening through the Christmas break. We are all hooked.
If you plan to use it on the TV in the lounge then ideally (essential if you don't want to sit next to the DVD player) you need a DVD player that has a remote control as it is very interactive.
If you like this game on the TV, then you will have a lot of fun - it is just like you are taking turn in the hot seat talking to Chris T.
on 3 January 2006
You'd have thought after all these years, and at the third attempt, they'd have ironed out the niggles with interactive DVDs such as this one. But, no.
Unless you play this in a PC, which almost certainly defeats the object of the game as one for family participation, it is very slow and clunky. Worse, on some players, not necessarily the oldest or cheapest, it is prone to sticking, and there's no remedy other than to eject or power off. The sight of Chris Tarrant's crumpled face frozen permanently is not a pretty one.
On to the game itself, which up to four people or teams can play. The choice of adult or junior questions is a good idea, but beware, the junior ones are not all that easy - in our "test drive" tricky questions on children's TV programmes and, in one case, Latin words, came up. On the adult side some questions up to £1,000 seemed trickier than on the real show, and up to £32,000 definitely so, and had a high proportion of questions on movies (OK if you're a film buff, but not otherwise). Beyond £32K all the questions are picture ones, and I actually found these easier, so once beyond the second "guaranteed" level the chances are that I make the virtual million. Although there are 1500 questions available we found that they started to be repeated after two completed games (about 50 questions).
The "lifelines" are distinctly less helpful than on the real thing. The audience tend to be evenly split most of the time, the 50-50 leaves the two most likely answers, and the "phone a friend" gives a choice of three people, two of which are usually children.
It did admitedly keep the family amused for a couple of hours one afternoon during the festive season, but I sense that we will quickly become frustrated with the slowness of the game, and will equally quickly run out of a decent sequence of previously unseen questions.
on 2 January 2006
Our family own the first edition and this was not as good. After our third game questions started to be repeated. So far only one question has been repeated per game but when it came at a critical point the competition was spoilt. On a more positive note we liked both the picture and choice of junior questions.
on 28 January 2016
A few years ago I bought my first DVD of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? and it was so much better than the 3rd Edition. The fact that there is perforce a delay between each question and that the game is slow-moving is irksome but acceptable as this is the same in all editions of the popular TV quiz show.

What annoyed me was that even though we chose to play the adult version the "Phone a Friend" lifeline almost invariably had eight and 9 year-old children as 2 of the 3 options. We asked their advice on several occasions, even when we did not need help, merely to prove a point i.e., these kids could not answer a single adult question! How difficult would it have been to have 3 interchangeable adults on hand to offer help in the adult version.

I did not bother to check if the reverse applied in the case of the kids' version but in any event I feel this might be marginally less annoying since adults, particularly parents of younger children would stand a good chance of being familiar with children's TV shows and books.

For this reason I can only award this edition 2 stars.
on 28 July 2010
This is the usual up to four player Millionaire fodder with a couple of differences, after the £32,000 question, they are all Picture questions and in a few pre £32,000 ones too. Not to everyone's taste, including mine, but others liked it, my gripe is some of the pictures are not recognisable, like some cities, but that's nit picking, generally they're of good quality, and either enhance or detract from the game, a matter of personal taste. The Tarrant Hologram is enhanced in this version and is far less irritating than in the previous versions. The other difference is the choice of either Adult or Junior questions for each of the four players, good for a family with older children or for those who just want an easier way to get your virtual Million pounds!!!

If you like this genre and you have older kids who like to play as a family or by themselves, or for those of us who like to take the easy way, I would recommend it, but my preference is for version 2, take the pictures away and I'd love this version, but as I said before, individual preference.
on 12 January 2010
I plus family and friends really enjoyed this DVD, but we all shared the criticism of the length between Chris Tarrant asking the questions and the time it took to be answered was too long.
We were introduced to a DVD of the same title , but an earlier edition with Chris, and the length of time between the questions being answered , was much better.
on 3 January 2010
We played a game using the junior questions as we were a mix of adults and children.

Questions were a good mix and there were some tough ones even for the adults. Phone a friend was hilarious.

Great fun had by all.
on 1 January 2012
Bought this for my family to play at Christmas instead of falling asleep watching normal TV. The game features are very familiar although the addition of picture questions is a bonus. The game is straightforward enough to play (pity the questions aren't equally as such!) - and is easy enough to set up for both adults and/or children. If you do get through the virtual £1M question stage, don't expect to be able to qualify for the luxury family holiday for 4 which Chris T tempts you with every time you play, because that competition ended in 2006 when this DVD came out! Overall the game provides reasonable entertainment for a couple of hours without too many repeat questions appearing.