5.0 out of 5 stars TV for grown-ups
Published on 3 July 2007 by shpadoinkle

3.0 out of 5 stars Had potential
I bought this on the strength of viewers recommendations but I was a bit disappointed. The cast was great, Hank Azaria as a psychiatrist was excellent but I never felt this achieved the level it might have if it had been allowed more time to develop. I guess US networks don't like to spend money on 'possible winners' only sure things.
Published 17 months ago by H. Simpson

5.0 out of 5 stars TV for grown-ups, 3 July 2007
shpadoinkle - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Complex and honest drama, beautifully acted. Also very funny. I'm really glad Hank Azaria did this, because if I was him I'd probably just live off my money from 'The Simpsons' for the rest of my life. He is particularly brilliant in this - he really seems like a 'real person'. (Although obviously I know Hank Azaria is a real person...) Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt - what more do you need to know?

Unfortunately for us, this got cancelled after Season 2. And season 2 hasn't even been released on DVD yet . . . well done TV boss-people. Well. Done. Considering this show and it's cast were nominated for loads of Emmys (Blythe Danner won one), I don't know what what was going on in their minds. Maybe bad marketing, but I'm starting to think some TV boss people are just idiots. I'm still mourning Firefly.

Still, two seasons... better than a poke in the eye with a spoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tv show ever, 10 May 2007
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this because of the great reviews it got on Amazon and it is absolutely brilliant. The acting is excellent and Oliver Platt's character in particular is what makes the series as good as it is. It's not a sickly sweet script, nor is it too dark it's just entertaining and funny. The storylines and characters will make you want to keep watching. I've loved this so much I'm going to buy it to keep.

4.0 out of 5 stars One drama worth considering, 5 Jun 2006
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Of the major cable dramas, the one which Huff most closely resembles is Six Feet Under. Certainly in terms of dark humour, pathos and emotional involvement in stands up. While the dramatic tension and the same emotional turmoil is not explored to the same level, where it surpasses Six Feet is in characterisation. In Six Feet you have a dysfunctional family who endure extreme events together. Huff is never quite so extreme or quite so dysfunctional.

For once it is nice to have a central family in a show like this who are pretty normal. Huff is good at his job, a good guy, a caring and devoted husband/father. His wife is pretty similar: devoted, stable and intelligent. The son is precocious yet goes through the normal teenage traumas. The only dysfunctional character is played by Oliver Platt, but he avoids cliche by being self-aware and by being drawn in sharp contrast to the steady Huff.

The show is nicely created: well and throughly written, while not creating new dramatic terrain, it's quality shines through. Even formulaic characters like the eccentric mother and disturbed brother are given fresh post-modern spins with their own flavour. It is great to see Hank Azaria and Oliver Platt finally getting meaty roles which their talent deserves.

If you are fan of Six Feet this is worth checking out. For those of us who avoided the soap-opera melodramatics of that show, this may well be down your street.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth watching, 16 Jan 2009
K. Cavill "virgo" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't see this when it was broadcast on TV, but after reading the reviews I thought I would give it a try. It was addictive. I just want to know when the next series is going to be released, as the cliffhanger ending was so well done and I am desperate to see what happens with the characters next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huff, AMAZING!, 13 Jan 2006
Martand (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I watched every episode of Huff and loved every second! Even though it is classed as comedy, it is very serious most of the way through. The Psychiatric issues are dealt with in a very human way and the superior acting abilities of the stars keeps you engaged throughout.
The lead character, Huff, or Dr. Huffstodt is played by the talented actor Hank Azaria, who is in many movies, including Pretty Woman, America's Sweethearts, The Birdcage, Along came Polly, Eulogy, Nobody's perfect and Dodgeball as well being the voices of popular characters on The Simpsons, including Moe the Bartender, Cheif Wiggum, Snake, Comic-Book Guy and Apu.
Summary;
- Excellent acting by all.
- All star cast includes Hank Azaria, Paget Brewster, Blythe Danner (Gwyneth Paltrow's real life mother), Anton Yelchin, Andy Comeau, Kimberly Brooks, Oliver Platt and Lara Flynn Boyle.
- High budget; no rubbishy studio sets like on sitcoms, great locations, nice cars, wardrobe and music. A total package! Makes a positive difference to the overall presentation.
- Real issues, no stupid plotlines.
All in all, a very enjoyable series. I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as my girlfriend and I do. New series should be out soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Huff will blow you away!, 9 July 2006
Plom de Nume "Rob" (Wolverhampton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
From the "envy of the world" decades ago, we're now in a place where American tele drama has outclassed UK output by a wide margin. US TV, however, is still largely under-rated against our over-vaunted UK stuff; even though, sadly, the latter is nowadays all reality rubbish and other cheap mass-fodder, even from that once-regal institution the BBC.

So, in search of a solution to the lack of good (as I said, usually American) shows to entertain us in the evenings, we've got into the habit of acquiring the best transatlantic programmes on DVD in box-sets from Amazon. Along with occasional movies, the bulk of our viewing is now on disk. Having recently exhausted all the currently available Sopranos (worship) and ER (more worship but slightly diminishing now we're past Season 5), I went looking for another import to grace our evenings. Six Feet Under at first suggested itself, naturally; but we did think it might be a little Thomas-Newman-pizzicato quirky for us to get that immediate buzz.

Then I read some reviews which suggested that Huff might be a winner for us. The first series was duly acquired ... and I have to say that we haven't been so delighted by the intelligence and quality of a TV programme since we first got hooked on The Sopranos.

Huff is beautifully acted, is blessed with characters who have aspects both sympathetic and less (revelatory work from Blythe Danner), great story-lines and stunning lighting camerawork - this last definitely the best I've seen in a television series. Gorgeous titles set the scene, along with Snuffy Walden's lovely theme: it's really difficult to get out of your head, this one, and the visuals that match it are original and artistic.

Hank Azaria absolutely rules as the title character, almost unobtrusively authoritative in what is, ultimately, a very fine ensemble piece. Paget Brewster as his wife combines beauty and talent beyond all her feted peeresses. Oliver Platt does a wonderful job with his character, a dissolute lawyer whose brilliant energy requires rather high levels of chemical damping when he's not working... this could so easily have turned out to be some tiresome Belushi-clone, but Platt makes the combination of sharp intellect and irresponsible roué both entirely believable and wonderful fun.

All of it is utterly beguiling; we take pleasure in just waiting for the next great line to come out of whichever character's mouth - which they do with a thrilling frequency. Utterly terrific dialogue, splendid interweaving of an over-arching "family plot" with great, quirky stories and characters (including a possibly non-existent homeless Hungarian musician who, at one points, asks Huff for the money to buy a synthesizer so he can get his symphony together). Fine guest-roles abound, in fact: most notably Lara Flynn Boyle, another revelation as a sexy but utterly schizoid patient obsessed with Huff and stalking him through certain episodes.

The climax to Series One is a particularly sly, frenzied bit of cliff-hanging overkill; really nicely done and worth waiting for (so, like us, you can go back to the beginning and watch it all again). Superb series, really! We thought it was only HBO who pulled off this sort of thing; and have recently learned, to our dismay, that the backers have cancelled the show after Season Two. So: get this, get ready for Huff 2 on DVD - and enjoy it all while you can; we're confident you will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you can possibly imagine, 2 Jun 2008
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I rented this from Amazon on a recommendation, and I can honestly say it's the most consistently superb tv show I've ever seen. The characters are believable, the situations compelling, funny, scary, all by turns.

It's brilliant. Imagine the best bits of Friends, The West Wing, Weeds and The Sopranos and you're about there.

4.0 out of 5 stars LoveFilm/Amazon Instant/Prime version, 7 Mar 2014
First pilot episode interesting enough to continue, but with Amazon streaming service I get a repeat of Episode 1 when selecting Episode 2. I don't want to jump to 3 and miss continuity. Is it just me and PC gremlins. Can someone test this and post a comment please. And yes, I will try to feed back to Amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 1 Aug 2008
This review is from: Huff: Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I totally agree. For the first 2 or 3 episodes I was thinking 'this is just HBO by the numbers', and then 'nothing much happens!'. But by the 6th or 7th I realised stuff was happening, it just wasn't as overblown and intense as Six Feet Under... much more like real-life in fact.

I had got so used to those kinds of shows that I wasn't prepared for this one. I love how the characters have kinks and quirks and moods rather than full-blown personality disorders. And you can really understand the feelings involved. As a whole I can relate to it far more than Six Feet.

As others have said, great actors, Oliver Platt is particularly entertaining. The oh-so lilting piano music is the only annoying thing, ripped off from the end of every episode of ER I think.

Haven't finished it all yet, shame they've cancelled it. Fools.

5.0 out of 5 stars before I knew it I was fast becoming addicted and fortunately my timing was pretty good as there is a ..., 6 Nov 2014
Just joined Prime and was sifting through all the series hoping that I'd find something I hadn't watched at least once. I'd never heard of 'Huff' in the UK - possibly only on HBO? Anyway, before I knew it I was fast becoming addicted and fortunately my timing was pretty good as there is a season 2 I can keep my addiction going. Comedy, drama, realising I do actually care for the characters. Yes, there is swearing but it is in its right context IMHO, other series with swearing seems to rely on it hoping to gain dramatic effect but that becomes lazy and boring rapidly. Can't fault any character, they all have a good part to play.

Still having withdrawal symptoms from finishing Breaking Bad, but Huff is keeping me a happy bunny!

Going to watch 1st episode of series 2 now :)

Huff: Season 1 [DVD]
Huff: Season 1 [DVD] by Hank Azaria (DVD - 2006)