5.0 out of 5 stars "Y'all can't walk no line."
Published on 9 Dec. 2005 by Kona

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Although I really cherish everything Johnny did through his long career, I am quite disappointed by 'The Line'.
In my opinion the quality of the pictures is mediocre, especially on a big LCD screen. All performances come from one session, there is no action, no variation, unfortunately in the end the show is dull.
The sound quality is simply poor, not to be...
Published on 31 Jan. 2009 by Longueville Jacques

5.0 out of 5 stars "Y'all can't walk no line.", 9 Dec. 2005
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon give memorable performances in this story of Johnny Cash and his long-time love, June Carter. Johnny grew up poor on a cotton farm, listening to June Carter and her family sing on the radio. He married a girl from home and started singing, but his wife was jealous of Johnny's career and his time away from home. He met June and was smitten, but they were both married; they continued to tour together for years, through June's second marriage and Johnny's terrible drug abuse. June helped him kick his habit and later, Johnny proposed to her onstage.
I really enjoyed the songs in the movie a lot; I was especially impressed that Phoenix and Witherspoon did their own singing and playing and made it look so easy. Phoenix's Johnny is a tortured and self-destructive soul, and Witherspoon's June is spunky and smart. They have great romantic chemistry on-screen and their close-ups are intense! The supporting cast is uniformly excellent, especially Robert Patrick as Johnny's mean and unrepentant father. "Walk the Line" is an entertaining bio pic with infectious music and two very likeable stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Soundtrack, 28 April 2006
Nigel Miles - See all my reviews
I grew up listening to Johnny Cash music played over and over again by my Dad and I really thought I didn't like it at all! I went to see this movie purely because the movie I intended to see wasn't showing. I went with my 11 year old daughter who had never even heard of Johnny Cash.

We went back again after the first showing. It is a 'love story' but a very real and gritty story.

Joaquin Pheonix is more than believeable playing the complicated man in black, and his renditions of Cash's songs are astounding.

Watching Reese Witherspoon in action as June Carter is a treat, and it's easy to see why she earned her Oscar.

Watch out for a passionate performance by Robert Patrick as Johnny's hard liner father.

Altogether a must see film!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 18 Dec. 2006
S. Moss "Moss" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
This film is different. Not in a bad way, in a very refreshing and thoroughly excellent way. Joaquin Phoenix is a convincing Johnny Cash and Reese Witherspoon is phenomenal. The film draws you in and is deeply compelling. I would recommend this film to anyone over the age of about 15. You don't have to be a Johnny Cash fan to enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't think of a good enough superlative for this film, 26 May 2006
Amazon Customer (Bournemouth UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
How two actors can transform themselves into country singers as convincingly as this is breathtaking, and to give such satisfying, spontaneous and riveting performances is amazing.

Just watch the extended versions of the songs on Disc 2, particularly Reese in "Juke Box Blues", it seems she has completely forgotten who she is, she is just living June Carter, also the great duet of them singing "Jackson".

Phoenix becomes Johnny Cash, he doesn't act or mimic him, he is him, watching his performance you can actually see a comment made in one of the extras that Cash "was the most haunted man I have ever met".

This is no romantic biopic, it is a gritty slice of real life, the lives of Johnny Cash and June Carter.

The extras on Disc 2 are every bit as good as the film in their different way, and the extended songs stand up as an album on their own. Buy, but make sure you BUY THE TWO DISC VERSION.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Film, 26 Nov. 2006
A. Scott "Amansco" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
This is a truly wonderful film, with excellent performances by Phoenix and Wetherspoon. I have never been a fan of Johnny Cash and I honestly didn't think I would like this movie - how wrong could I have been? One of the best movies I have seen in a long time. It was one of those films which kept you watching all the way through and I really was disappointed when it came to an end. I would highly recommend watching this film. It was nothing short of Outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best films in a while, 23 Mar. 2007
There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been said here!

I knew very little about Cash besides the fact that he died not long ago and a friend is a huge fan of his music. However I was interested enough to want to see the movie and intrigued to see Reese W live out her childhood dream of being a country singer.

Wow.

It's a long movie but I hardly noticed. Some really truly great acting from both leads - a magnificent supporting cast. A compelling, dramatic, and moving story of redemption.

Of necessity the film focuses on a relatively short period of Cash and Carter's life and the genesis of their relationship, but it whets the appetite to find out more about the man and his music. I think it actually works a good deal better than if they had tried to fit his whole life in - it's a snapshot, which has enabled the filmmakers to really get into the story, not skim over things too much.

Witherspoon and Phoenix both put in quite amazing vocal performances. Phoenix in particular beautifully portrays Johnny's journey from wannabe gospel singer nervously trying out his own song for a producer right up to the confident rock star with the inmates of Folsom putty in his hands. Acting, singing and playing wise both actors give it their all, and the supporting actors who learned to sing and singers who learned to act all come out smelling of roses.

Some beautiful and some incredibly powerful scenes - those where June and her family walk Cash through withdrawal from drugs fitting neatly into both those categories and being some of my favourite parts of the film.

One also mustn't forget the two young actors playing young JR and his brother, who really set up the film incredibly well - the opening scenes leading up to the death of his brother show that these two young actors are serious talent of the future and they do a beautiful job making real the close friendship that haunts the adult Cash throughout the rest of the film.

I could seriously waffle on for ages, I have been so impressed by this movie. What can I say? It's a triumph. Do watch the deleted scenes and also the interesting and informative commentary (which gives the background to some scenes in the movie which in many cases you may otherwise think must have been elaborated on or made up). I am looking forward to getting my hands on the double disc set and seeing the rest of the extras.

Buy this movie, or at least, rent this movie, you won't regret it. It's a keeper and one I am certain I shall watch many times more.

And... a new addition to my all time favourite quotes:

Record Company Executive: Your fans are church folk, Johnny. Christians. They don't wanna hear you singing to a bunch of murderers and rapists, tryin' to cheer 'em up.
Johnny Cash: [pause] Well, they're not Christians, then.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best film I have seen in ages, 5 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
I was not a big fan of Jonny Cash's music before seeing this film, and it really does not matter if you were a fan or not the film is simply brilliant. At it's core this is a story of Cash's difficult childhood and his long running love for his backing singer June Carter. The acting by the two principal actors, Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon is of the highest order and it was not until after watching the film that I found out they both sang thier parts. Neither stray into pastiche impersonations, which would have been an easy trap with a well known character like Cash.

For me this was even better than "Ray" (and I was a big fan of Ray Charles), which has many parallels in the story.

Deserves the accolades it has received, see it you will love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Man In Black Still Stands Tall, 15 Feb. 2007
James J. Marsh "Benny On Tour" (Coventry) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
Johnny Cash is one of the few musical artists who could genuinely call himself a legend, although he was too humble to do so.

He is the only artist to have ever been inducted into both the Rock n' Roll hall of fame as well as the Country Music one and his musical catalogue stands the test of time.

His story was fascinating, not because he was the perfect person but because he was flawed. He battled his demons, alcohol and drugs took their toll on him over the years and he was trapped in a marriage that his religion told him he couldn't leave. This film tells at least part of the story, during his early years in the business and whilst he was getting his first tastes of fame and all that entailed.

Someone once told me that the reason that you felt compelled to listen when Johnny Cash sang was because you just knew that this was a man who fought every demon that you could imagine and beat every one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sizzling and magnificent portrait of the Man in Black., 26 July 2006
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I went to the cinema with my parents to see this incredible and honest film about Johnny Cash and June Carter. When we left, we realised that we had seen something special on the big screen. A film that literally had the viewer transfixed to the screen. This film was very special indeed.

The film is topped and tailed by Johnny Cash's performance at the Folsom Prison in the early part of the 60's. In between these two scenes, we are shown the main story of Cash's childhood upbringing, his reaction when his brother dies in a freak accident, his leaving home to start on a singing career, get in trouble with women relationships and drugs, up to the moment when he meets and falls in love with June Carter who does her painstaking best to get him off the drugs and to clean his act up.

There are some stunning and memorable scenes throughout this beautifully realised film and there are some powerful scenes too like the one where we see Johnny Cash collapse on stage from a drug overdose. I felt that this scene was filmed brilliantly. I also felt that the performances from the two lead actors, Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon, were career defining performances and they had never been so watchable on screen as they do here.

Joaquin Phoenix gives Johnny Cash a ruggish and rebel look and he makes Cash someone to relate to and gain some sort of inspiration from. Phoenix, on the whole, is completely at one with Cash throughout the entire film. It's the best part I've seen him play on screen. Reese Witherspoon is utterly believable as June Carter and her performance is breathtaking. I think that these two performances were two of the highlights of the film calendar last year.

All the singing throughout the film were actually from Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon. They had spent 6 months rehearsing and getting the voices right for their parts. And to be honest with you, their voices are damn good!! This film is probably one of the finest and honest biopics of the modern age. A must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars A convert, 8 Feb. 2006
Mr Kevin Hardy "hkev" (HARTLEPOOL, Cleveland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) (DVD)
I was never really a fan of the music of Johnny Cash.
I went to this movie only because of the good reviews it received.
The movie follows the average Hollywood biopic formula:
Lowly beginning-Rise-Fall-Redemption.
Sounds so bad so far, but wrong.
This is a superb movie.
Superbly written and sublimely performed.
Phoenix is good in the lead role, Witherspoon is outstanding in support.
This movie gave me a new appreciation of the music.
The song "Walk The Line" meant nothing to me before, now I see it as one of the great love songs.
This movie has faults, it may not be 100% accurate, but certainly deserves all the good reviews it has received and the awards it surely will receive.
See it, it's worth it.
"Why do you always wear black, you look like you're going to a funeral..."
Kevin Hardy.

Walk the Line [DVD] (2005)
Walk the Line [DVD] (2005) by James Mangold (DVD - 2006)