5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS
Very disappointed didn't chart higher.
Hopefully,once 'sleep' is released with Peter Kay led video,
sales will improve because as an album this is pure class.
Every song is perfectly executed.
I normally listen to more indie guitar type music,but the quality here cannot be denied.
It will be a damn shame if this album goes unnoticed...
Published on 18 Nov. 2005

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good but....
I think Red Book is quite a good album but LACKS the "oompph" of earlier hit-laden albums such as White on Blonde and The Hush. Still it's nice easy listening stuff and Sharleen Spiteri's voice is still beautiful. I would say that first time Texas listeners would be better off checking out some of their earlier work.
Published on 12 Feb. 2008 by Phil Murray

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS, 18 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
Very disappointed didn't chart higher.
Hopefully,once 'sleep' is released with Peter Kay led video,
sales will improve because as an album this is pure class.
Every song is perfectly executed.
It will be a damn shame if this album goes unnoticed by majority of record buying public.
As for that song 'sleep' a more emotionally uplifting song I haven't heard in a long,long time with Mr.Buchanan's vocals lifting it into classic status.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Sexy, 2 Dec. 2005
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
The new Texas Album is just what I hoped for since the last release (which I found ok but not too great).
Sharleen's voice is as smooth as ever, the compositions go right into the ear and they're pretty sexy!
Their best effort to date! Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Texas back in form!!!, 7 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
I saw Texas at the Glasgow Carling Academy and the concert was absolutely superb, so I was really looking forward to Red Book and I wasn't let down.
This is the best Texas album since 1997's White On Blonde. While 2003's Careful What You Wish For had some good tracks on it, it wasn't the best. But with this album, Texas come back with some beautiful songs like What About Us. I can listen to the whole album without skipping because every track is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back on Form, 2 Oct. 2005
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
The last Texas album, Careful What You Wish For was more 'filler than killer' and after scraping into the top 10 with their 1st single Carnival Girl, follow-up releases failed to set the charts alight, the album included.
Finally, Texas have returned with an album that easily matches the best tracks of White On Blonde and The Hush.
Instant favourites are the gut-wrenchingly beautiful 'What About Us' and future single 'Can't Resist'.
But there are more gems that lie await, for this is easily Texas' most co-hesive album to date.
'Cry' , ' Sleep (Feat. Paul Buchanan)' and 'Bad Whether' could all easily make hit single material.
Texas are well and truely back on form and if this album doesn't take them to the next level of super stardom, nothing will.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent package from Texas, 2 April 2006
Mark Syder (Prescot, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Red Book [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I describe this as "an excellent package" rather than "an excellent CD" because of the extra features. Disc one contains two videos in CD-ROM format and disc two is an acoustic DVD of five songs recorded live at Abbey Road.
As another reviewer said, there isn't a single "filler" song on the whole CD. I have a couple of minor quibbles, which should not be taken as complaints:
1. Why are there two videos on the CD and five different ones on the DVD? I suspect they are trying to cater for listeners who only have access to either CD-ROM or DVD but not both. But given the space available on CDs and DVDs, I don't understand why they couldn't make all seven videos available in both formats.
2. Why two discs? My wife recently bought a CD which had the same songs on DVD on the other side of the same disc. I can only assume that this package has a second disc to make buyers believe they're getting something extra - I'd be just as happy with CD on one side of a single disc and DVD on the other side of the same disc.
A more major quibble is the absence of a drummer. Drums make an appearance on a couple of songs, but mostly the percussion sounds are provided by a machine. As an ex-drummer myself I prefer the sound of proper drums. If Texas want a drummer for their next CD I am available!
In summary: this is superb. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for Texas fans, 21 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Red Book [CD + DVD] (Audio CD)
I recommend this album to any Texas fans, or to anybody willing to discover what the band is about.
I find it to be one of Texas' most intimate and best executed albums.I must admit I didn't immediately like it on the first listening, apart from the songs to which I had listened to previous to buying the CD, such as "Can't resist" or "What about us", and almost thought it was a bit too soft or boring... but a few listenings after, I found myself discovering the little gems this album was made of.
I can understand some people that have liked the band from day one, (I consider myself to be a fan from the very beginning myself), might think this doesn't relate completely to the first albums(which I completely loved), but in my opinion the band has simply evolved in time, just like anybody else does. (i.e.- Sharleen doesn't seem to deliver as much her "strong beautiful voice" anymore, but I wouldn't say it's "breathy nothingness" either...it's evolution in my opinion. Though everybody is entitled to their opinion, that's for sure.

Summing up, give this album a good listening, don't give up on the first try! It's a 10 out of 10!

5.0 out of 5 stars A POP SONG, 16 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
This album is a sheer delight from the start to the finish.I cannot stop playing it.At first I was dreading another "duffer" as the last album was,but to my pleasant suprise the album has developed into a total blast.I cannot wait to see the band in Cardiff in May.Highlights for me are "Cry","Nevermind,"Red Book"and of cause the singles "Getaway","Carnt Resist"and "Sleep".Sharleen's voice has never sounded better and the band sound as tight as ever.
I cannot understand the reviewer who hated this album but I suppose everyone is entitled to their opinion.I too loved Ricks Road and Southside and I think this is better than those 2 albums in fact I think its the best thing they've ever done.Do yourselves and buy this album its in 5 star heaven

5.0 out of 5 stars the best texas album yet!!!, 16 Nov. 2005
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
like many people i loved "i dont want a lover" then nothing really ignited my imagination till the singles from white on blonde...the follow up the hush was equally good...then careful what you wish for was a bit forgettable!!!
the new album is wonderful, well produced and with fantastic songs. i never heard "runaway" when it was released but bought the album off the back of "cant resist" which is my favourite texas song to date and should have been such a huge hit!!!
if you like the first two singles and "white on blonde" and "the hush" this is a must....if you dont like it ill give you your money back...well maybe not that far but i am confident that youll love it
so to the songs it opens with a semi instrumental which reminds me a bit of erasure? straight into the wonderful "runaway" and then "cant resist" so to the newies!!!
"what about is" is brilliant and deserves to be a single...think classic kate bush meets all saints!
"sleep" the next single is a duet with somebody i dont know who but it gets in your head and stays their...probably the first song youll end up singing from the album!
"nevermind" is haunting and uplifting at the same time ."bad weather" is a strong catchy track>?
even the others cant be classed as fillers!!
in short this is shar doing what she does best...not too rock...no raps...just good songs....brilliant voice and fantastic production!!!!
beleive me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop listening to it..., 4 April 2006
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
Well this album is good enough that if you did not know better it could be a 'best of' album of Texas - almost every track is standout, and yet there is sufficient variety that you can have it on loop in the car and you won't get tired of it.
It's one of those CD's that make you want to turn it up to get the full wall of sound experience, as well as the detail of sound they manage to get in.
Supports repeated listenings, perfect pop music - it's not deep, but it sticks in the head and it's absolutely satisfying....

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful!, 12 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Red Book (Audio CD)
I find it to be one of Texas' most intimate and best executed albums.I must admit I didn't inmediately like it on the first listening, apart from the songs to which I have listened to before, such as "Can't resist" or "What about us", and almost thought it was a bit too soft or boring... but a few listenings after, I found myself discovering the little gems this album was made of.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Red Book [CD + DVD]
Red Book [CD + DVD] by Texas (Audio CD - 2005)