5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Lovely
This was a landmark series when it was aired on BBC2 in the summer of 2005. For everyone that spent the summer watching Lost on Channel 4 you missed a real televisual treat. However don't despair. Help is close to hand. Pre order your copy now and make up for your sins.
Published on 20 Jan 2006

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but seen it all before.
Well, not seen it before but read it, this is essentially the same idea as 'Join Me' except instead of Danny roaming the streets looking for 'Joinees' he's looking for 'Citizens'.
There's some interesting insights to Government, but this is not Danny's best.
Published on 17 July 2009 by Chris Morse

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Lovely, 20 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: How To Start Your Own Country (Two Discs) (DVD) [2005] (DVD)
What makes this series so interesting is that is indefinable. Is it a comedy, is it a documentary. I'm not sure. I know I laughed a lot when I watch it and I am still quoting interesting facts that I picked up courtesy of Mr Wallace's extraordinary journey to create his very own country. I for one had no idea that the Vatican was a country or that a man called Dennis Hope had claimed ownership of the moon and is selling chunks of it on the Internet.
Throughout the series you find yourself asking a lot of big questions. What is a country? What is money? Is the death penalty ever really justified? Danny doesn't always have the answers but as we learn nor do the politicians and great thinkers he meets. As he says to renowned thinker Noam Chomsky, " don't come to me with problems Chomsky, come to me with solutions".
With two discs you get a lot for your money including every episode of Citizen TV, the live show that was broadcast on BBCi after each episode. For anyone that rang in to talk to Danny or sent him a picture, having claimed your home as an embassy then you will find yourself immortalised on this DVD (my embassy picture appears in the second episode).
There are also bags of very funny deleted scenes that really add to the whole viewing experience. Of particular note are the extended scenes of Danny's invasion of Eel Pie Island, and a hysterical scene at a Dog Show in Celebration, Florida. Add to this a behind the scenes featurette on the making of the national anthem and various karaoke sing-alongs and you've got yourself over six hours of viewing pleasure. Splendid.
In short this is a top quality DVD and should be on everyone's 2006 pre-order list.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Hail Danny, 9 Feb 2007
This Series was immense,

Danny Wallace ventured forth with a scheme much reminiscent of

"Join Me" and started his own country (which is still going) in

his small london apartment,i think this series was hillarious and

you should definately buy it! Its well worth your time and money .

what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny is King, 18 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This DVD is a must for anyone who is a fan of the weird and wonderful.
I enjoyed following Danny on his quest to start his country and found myself waiting for the next episode to see what would happen next. There is a good mixture of fun and serious issues and I loved the National Anthem.
The DVD is packed full of extras including Citizen TV which I missed as didn't have interactive TV at home, it is well worth a watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Could I love this any more?, 28 April 2011
From seeing this first when it aired I have been hooked ever since. For Danny Wallace lovers and fellow 'joinees' this DVD is a must, with wit and humour along the way. Of course a serious moment or two and some lovely moments too. I'm so glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars We've got to teach the world to sing, Danny Wallace is the king !, 29 Dec 2010
I can't believe that I never caught this series on TV. It is absolutely hilarious and utterly thought provoking.

Ever since co writing "Are you Dave Gorman?" with Dave Gorman I have been a fan of both Danny and Dave.

This series, "How to start your own country", is just the kind of thing that you would expect from Danny. From invading a small London Island to snapping at Noam Chomsky "Don't come to me with problems Chomsky, come to me with solutions" to the composing of his very own National Anthem. This is Danny Wallace at his very best.

You won't regret this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd seen it earlier, 10 Sep 2009
A. Openshaw (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
I first heard of Danny Wallace through my partner constantly raving about him. As a result I purchased this as a present for him. I can honestly say I now know what he meant. This guy is a genious! The documentary style follows Danny as he creates his own country in his flat in London. The program has been done very tastefully with a good balance of information, serious elements and comedy. The DVD contains the television series, the extra live show that was aired after, and deleted scenes/extras on key issues investigated. I found it both informative and extremely entertaining. My only regret was that I didn't see it when it was all happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it. Buy it now., 2 Oct 2008
J. Grant (Scotland) - See all my reviews
"How to Start Your Own Country" is, quite simply, excellent. The two discs contain all of the episodes as well as Citizen TV (which is really very funny), deleted scenes and a nice set of special features. Danny Wallace is a genius! Great for watching on a quiet day in, and it would make a fantastic gift for anyone with a good sense of humour. Plus, for just under 9 it's a bargain!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 11 Sep 2008
M. Ward (Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I didn't manage to catch all these episodes when they first aired on TV, I probably saw 2 all the way through and I liked what I saw.

I was also a fan of Danny's book, so I had no hesitation in purchasing this DVD.

The DVD itself is full of so many extras, it's quite incredible really. In fact I would go as far to say that for extras this is the best DVD I own.

While very similar to Dave Gorman, Danny does have his own style of course, but if you did enjoy Gorman's TV shows, then you will enjoy this.

I did however find the ending to the show leaving more questions than answers. There is deffinately scope for a follow up DVD, but I think a couple more episodes in the series was probably necessary in telling the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Micronations Documentary, 10 Dec 2011
Mohammad Bahareth (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia) - See all my reviews
This Video is Full of information , Full of Traveling all around the world even to the united nations just to register a micronation !!
This DVD Has inspired me to write a Book Called Micronations that i will soon publish , Brilliant Work , inspiring Guy .

4.0 out of 5 stars Danny Wallace for President!, 17 Mar 2009
Julia (A place where it always rains) - See all my reviews
A very funny series; and suprisingly insightful. Both entertaining and informative - what more can you ask! Highly recommended.

ARRAY(0xa3440930)