5.0 out of 5 stars Resistance - a review
Published on 8 Jan. 2006 by J. D. Naylor

3.0 out of 5 stars A loss of nerve.
Published on 9 Nov. 2007 by Mr. P. G. Mccarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Resistance - a review, 8 Jan. 2006
J. D. Naylor "jazzfan" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Awakening Process (Audio CD)
This is a wellcome return to form for the hugely talented Courtney Pine.Gone are the soulfull vocals and danceable rhythms of the last couple of albums and they are replaced with some lively funky tunes and some killer soprano and tenor sax solos which is basically what Courtney does best.It's his first album for some years in which he hasn't included any vocal tracks and from a jazz pureists point of view it's all the better for it.There is still the heavy use of electronic instruments, programming and synths but with courtney blowing some red hot solos it gives the whole thing a much needed change of direction and makes better use of his saxophone playing talents rather than making commercial music which is well below his capabilities.All tunes are composed by Mr Pine himself but there are one or two of the funkier numbers that you will feel sure that youv'e heard before (but havn't).
Well done Courtney let's have a repeat of this one sooner rather than later please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just sublime!, 11 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Awakening Process (Audio CD)
I have never written a review but now I feel I must,
When I first listened to 'Devotion' for the first time, particularly songs like "Sister Soul" I was blown away, yet what I find so impressive with 'Resistance' is the sheer consistency throughout the album, every track just flows perfectly and always has me jumping out of my seat!
Courtney must be recognised for his ability to drift in and out of different genres, for me this is what makes his music so appealing and ultimately memorable.
I think it is sad he is not as well known amongst the younger generation as he should be, go and see him live, he is breath-taking!
Keep up the good work Courtney!

3.0 out of 5 stars A loss of nerve., 9 Nov. 2007
Mr. P. G. Mccarthy (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Awakening Process (Audio CD)
There is no doubting Pine's talent and accomplishement, but I think that this album is very disappointing. When Courtney was playing the tracks live he announced that it encompassed jazz in all its forms. However boppy this CD might be ,it is not clear to me that it is jazz at all; at least not in 'all its forms'. I was loathe to stand and clap hands to these songs as Pine would have us do; I was even less willing to wave my hands in the air because of Pine's belief that jazz (if it is jazz) brings people together. Another reviewer used the word 'dull' to describe this album, and so it is; but it's frustrating because he is clearly able to produce original and exciting music; Underground proves this.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad decline, 10 July 2006
This review is from: The Awakening Process (Audio CD)
I read the other five star reviews with a sense that I have listened to a different album. Far from a "return to form", Resistance seems entirely formulaic and dull. If I was asked to guess I would say this collection represents a contractual obligation of the part of Pine. If so, hopefully he has paid his dues now & can return to the high form of Modern Day Jazz Stories, form of which there is virtually no evidence on this record. If anyone thinks Resistance added anything to the jazz canon, they really do not know what that canon represents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtney does it again, 1 Nov. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Awakening Process (Audio CD)
Absoloutely fabulous album. I can't stop playing it! I got a sneak preview from a friend I have listened to it a dozen times already, and the track "sunchilde" is my favourite. beautiful stuff. A child of the ghetto creates an urban masterpiece!

5.0 out of 5 stars If only I knew more about Jazz....., 1 May 2008
This review is from: The Awakening Process (Audio CD)
....I would know whether this album contributes to the "jazz canon". Aren't there two 'n's in cannon anyway?

I can understand that anyone who doesn't like "Devotion" is unlikely to appreciate this one either but for me, I did (like 'Devotion'), and I do (like 'Resistance'). It's for all moods at any time of the day, and I think that it's very good indeed. I have seen Mr Pine twice live and he is electric on stage, and that comes through to me on this album. Yes, it's different from, say, his playing of a standard like 'Sunny' for example and although I think that he plays that number really well, maybe that's for Jazz dinosaurs anyway.

Keep up the good work.

'Afropeans' should arrive with me today.

The Awakening Process
The Awakening Process by Courtney Pine (Audio CD - 2012)