5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?
Six years after their last album Peace, and less than six months after Annie Lennox's wonderful performance at Live8, Eurythmics return with two new songs and a new Greatest Hits collection.
Published on 25 Oct 2005 by Mr. T. Speller

2.0 out of 5 stars "The Ultimate Collection"? No, The Ultimate Rip-Off
Before I proceed with this review, I'd like to quote from a previous review: "It's just an old greatest hits being repackaged to make the record company more money."

Published on 6 Dec 2005 by Pete A

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree?, 25 Oct 2005
Mr. T. Speller "tomtedspeller" (London, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
17 of the 19 tracks catalogue their impressive career up to the present: the ice-cold electronica of "Sweet Dreams...", the glorious pop of "Here Comes the Rain Again", the AOR of "Thorn In My Side", the calm of 1999 hit "I Saved the World Today". And yes, you will know most of these songs already! All have the same things in common: the impressive vocal range of Annie Lennox, the ground-breaking production and arrangements of Dave Stewart, the often clever lyrics ("sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree..."). New tracks "I've Got A Life", an up-tempo dance song; and "Was It Just Another Love Affair", tender and melancholic; see them sounding as good as ever, and fit in nicely amongst their other gems.
75 million records all over the world, awards galore, artists as eclectic as Marilyn Manson and Diddy covering and sampling their material: all bear testament to the superb quality of the songs this duo created. As a collection, this set is flawless. However, this collection is essentially a re-packaging of their 1991 Greatest Hits, and given the success of Lennox's set at Live8, this does reek slightly of "cashing in". But when sweet dreams are made of this, who really cares? Not me, anyway. And nor should anyone else, if you want seriously good music you will not go far wrong with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't get better than this, 5 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I was thrilled to see that Eurythmics were releasing a new single "I've got a life". It is an unusual title, however, very catchy and after a few listens is embedded into your consciousness. Eurythimcs never played safe so it would have been disapointing if the song and title weren't quirky.
The other new song on this CD is in an R'n'B style and after a few listens, you can't get it out of your head no matter how subdued it seems at first.
The rest of the songs are all well known classics and are familiar to all Eurythmics fans. It was nice to see some new tracks off "Peace" included, however, I think for Eurythmics fans of old, the value lies in the 2 new songs and the fact that all tracks have been re-mastered thus improving the listening quality.
I wondered at the reason for not including "Don't ask me why", "Angel" and concluded that they may be too controversial to religious sensibilities. Angel less so, however, it does appear to be about suicide. Leaving these out makes the album marketable worldwide in the same format and more profitable for Dave & Annie as the co-production payouts for the "We too are one" era songs will not be there!
Without a doubt, it is far better to have a copy of the greatest hits CD and the single "I've got a life", however, I still count "Was it just a love affair" as a wonderful song that I wouldn't want to be without.
What I'd love to see is "Eurythmics - The singles collection". This would be a double CD with the inclusion of all the missing songs "Never gonna cry again, Belinda, This is the house, Julia, Shame, Beethoven, King and Queen of America, Revival and the acoustic version of "You have placed a chill in my heart" that made it a big hit.
Thanks Dave and Annie & please can we have some more!

4.0 out of 5 stars HITS & MISSES, 2 Dec 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
I agree with quite a few of the comments already posted. Many of their groundbreaking classics are here but the tracks chosen for this compilation more or less duplicate what was on the previous Greatest Hits collection and seminal tracks such as Beethoven, SexCrime, Don't Ask Me Why and Angel are curiously absent with no explanation. Very early in Eurythmics career, a video entitled Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This was released which featured a live performance from Heaven nightclub and specially shot footage of some of the tracks from that album. It even had little animated puppets of Dave and Annie by Bura & Hardwick (creators of Camberwick Green). It wasn't long before it was pulled from the shelves due to reported unhappiness on the part of Dave & Annie. They also famously fell out with Dominic Mulrooney who was involved in the score for 1984 which resulted in them withdrawing their support for the project even though the record was finished and available in the shops. It makes me wonder if the tracks that have been omitted from this collection are victims of similar problems 'behind the scenes'. If this is the case, this is very sad as the result is an incomplete product that omits some of their finest work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not ultimate at all, 30 Oct 2008
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Eurythmics made some of the greatest sounds of the 1980 in many genres, not just the standard synth-pop. Lennox & Stuart also made a major contribution in the forgotten band The Tourists before the birth of Eurythmics. Unfortunately this album contains too many tracks already available on Greatest Hits.

Some less inspired songs from the 1990s have been added. This really shows a lack of interest and imagination in view of the huge treasure trove of classic album tracks. The compilers could have chosen The Last Time from Revenge, Jennifer from Sweet Dreams, Shame & Beethoven (I Love to Listen to) from Savage, When the Day Comes Down from We Too Are One and Belinda & She's Invisible Now from the obscure first album In the Garden.
But for those who never got round to Greatest Hits, it's a worthwhile purchase. Every rhythm they took, they made their own: consider the catchy calypso of Right By Your Side, grand rock ballads like Thorn In My Side and When Tomorrow Comes or the perfect pop of Love is a Stranger. Their emotional range is unique: the chilling menace of You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart makes a stark contrast to the joyful exuberance of There Must Be An Angel or the powerful affirmative Sisters Are Doing it for Themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous!, 16 Feb 2006
J. A. Cumming "jacumming01" (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
A really great compilation from a great band. Annie Lennox's unique vocals make this a musical treat. With excellent tracks ranging from the anthemic to the vaguely melancholic, plus the outstanding new single 'I've Got A Life' this album really is a must have! Superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought again.....and yet again!, 8 Nov 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
Played so much, I have had to buy a new copy, TWICE!
I guess that says it all!
This is true talent........undiluted (IMO)

I love it all, but my favourites are played EXTRA LOUD, usually on my own in the motor car!

Catch a snatch (remastered version):

Thorn in my side
Would I lie to you?
Who's that girl
Sweet dreams (are made of this)
Here comes the rain again
You've placed a chill in my heart
Miracle of love
Love is a stranger

'.....And love, love, love is a dangerous drug
You have to receive it and you still can't get enough of the stuff ......'

Along with the simply outstanding:

Sisters are doin' it for themselves

'Now there was a time
when we used to say
that behind every great man
there had to be a great woman
But in these times of change
you know that it's no longer true
So we're comin' out of the kitchen
'cause there's something we forgot to say to you
We say, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves"
Standin' on their own two feet and ringin' on their own bells
We say, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves"......'

Enough said, I think?

5.0 out of 5 stars EURTHYMICS ULTIMATE COLLECTION, 3 Jun 2009
N. DUIGNAN "DOOGS" (EXETER) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
ANYBODY WHO IS A FAN OF 80S POP MUSIC SHOULD KNOW QUITE ALOT OF EURYTHMICS TRACKS, EVEN IF YOU CAN'T PLACE THE NAMES OF THE TRACKS. I WAS ONLY 9 YEARS OLD WHEN ALOT OF THESE TRACKS WERE ORIGINALLY RELEASED SO ALOT OF THE TRACK NAMES MEANT NOTHING TO ME. HOWEVER, WHEN YOU PLAY THE CD, IT BECOMES CLEAR HOW FANTASTIC THE EURYTHMICS WERE AND HOW MANY SONGS I HAD HEARD AS A CHILD WERE IN FACT EURYTHMICS TRACKS. 'LOVE IS A STRANGER', 'SWEET DREAMS' AND 'HERE COMES THE RAIN AGAIN' ALL BRING BACK MEMORIES OF A HAPPY CHILDHOOD DANCING AT SCHOOL DISCOS BUT MY FAVOURITE TRACK ON THE CD IS 'MISSIONARY MAN', A PROPER ROCK TRACK WHERE ANNIE LENNOX BECOMES JUST A BIT AGGRESSIVE!! IF YOURE IN DOUBT ABOUT BUYING THE CD, TRY IT. I HAD DOUBTS AND NOW HAVE STARTED BUYING THE BACK CATALOGUE TO GET THE FULL EURYTHMICS EXPERIENCE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Here Come The Hits Again, 17 Nov 2005
scoon2 "scoon2" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)
This album has 14 tracks in common with the previous Eurythmics compilation. However, this time round they are all digitally –remastered and presented well in new packaging.
There are two new tracks, which are okay but not as memorable or inspired as the older material. This compilation is also missing Sex Crime 1984, which is quite an omission really as it was quite a big hit.
Eurythmics were always a rather classy act and this compilation is an excellent look at their career. From the sparing electronics of Love Is A Stranger to the downright melancholy of You Put A Chill In My Heart, the repertoire is deliciously varied.
I feel that Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox have been at their best while working together and this album should grace every collection. I just don’t want to see it out again in a couple of years with another title.

2.0 out of 5 stars "The Ultimate Collection"? No, The Ultimate Rip-Off, 6 Dec 2005
This review is from: Ultimate Collection (Audio CD)

I have to say that I completely agree; don't get me wrong, I am a very big Eurythmics fan, but this latest hits collection, squeezed out 15 years after the last one, has virtually no redeeming qualities at all. Yes, all the songs on it (even the new ones) are brilliant and yes, it's beautifully packaged BUT, it misses out huge gaps in the Eurythmics recording history. Whilst songs like Julia and Never Gonna Cry Again were never classics, they were still superior to some of the dross that's been placed here (i.e. When Tomorrow Comes and the dreary I Saved The World Today). There are NO songs from their 1981 debut In The Garden, nothing from the 1984 soundtrack and nothing from 1989's swansong We Too Are One. So, the classics are nearly all here, but they are woefully under-represented.

To all persons considering buying this album: save your money, find an original greatest hits from 1991 and side-step this abomination.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
fantastic music

Ultimate Collection
Ultimate Collection by Eurythmics (Audio CD - 2005)