I won't be long - just wanted to mention a couple of things. The point is that you'll definitely need a USB (mini) cable with your Garmin Sat Nav, because

Published on 14 Dec 2008 by Marco Rossini

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother
Published on 23 Mar 2009 by J. Burczyk

5.0 out of 5 stars Just listen: you'll need a USB mini cable with your Garmin Sat Nav, 14 Dec 2008
Marco Rossini "Marco" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)

1) with a USB (mini) cable, you CAN recharge your Garmin Sat Nav with your PC/Mac, which is not clearly mentioned in the user's manual. Remember, your Sat Nav doesn't come with a USB cable or an AC adapter (you need to buy them separately!), so you can't recharge the battery until you connect it with the vehicle power cable which does come with the Sat Nav.

2) you can download the latest map, update the software, and configure the Sat Nav via Garmin's website. You'll need to do all this (and it's simple) if you want draw out the maximum performance from your Sat Nav!

3) If possible, get a good cable rather than a cheap one, because they're not the same.

*You might already have this cable at home, because the same cable is used for many electric devices, such as mobile phones (e.g. Motorola), digital cameras and external HDDs.

Hope this helps!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, 23 Mar 2009
J. Burczyk (Beck Row, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
I ordered this for my Garmin 255W. It was cheap enough, and arrived fast. After about 10 minutes I finally got the plug into the back of my Garmin, but then my computer didn't recognize the new hardware once I plugged it in. I tried a different computer and the same result. I contacted the company, the guy apologised and sent out a new one right away. The plug fit easily on the new one, but still no recognition by my computer. I finally tried my cord from my camera, and it worked great. No problems at all. Like others have said, you get what you paid for. The customer service was good, but the product sucks. Try finding one in a store or look around your house for a usb cable that will work.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 13 Jan 2009
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
I agree with other reviewers! The first cable I was sent would not fit into the garmin and I was reluctant to force it in. The company aplogised and sent a new one straight away. However, the second one was also a tight fit but I forced it in. When I tried to remove it the metal part broke off in the sat nav and needed to be removed with pliers. I think you get what you pay for and this was cheap!

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not fit properly, 12 April 2009
John M. Padfield (Derby, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
I purchased this in a bundle as I had already ordered a Nuvi from somewhere else and I did not know which lead I needed. Unfortunately, it was stiff to insert and the engineer in me would not allow me to force it. Consequently, it did not connect properly. Fortunately, I had 2 similar leads from other kit and one fitted OK and worked while the other also was too stiff to insert. Could there be a tolerance problem with this type of connector? Fortunately, and hence one star, it was cheap enough not to lose too much sleep over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 17 Sep 2008
M. Bray "Mia" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
As stated this is a USB cable which connects your Garmin to the PC, and it does exactly that. It arrived quickly and securely packaged. The only downside is that it doesn't open the Garmin software when you plug it in as that would be a great time saver, but then again thats a Garmin issue i imagin not the cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good and cheap, 28 Oct 2008
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
I have seen the same product and brand from halfords, they are still selling 6.99. But you only have to pay just over 2 from amazon, I just can't see where you could get one cheapper than here.
Oh, It works straightaway.

1.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
Cable only makes sporadic contact with Garmin so PC contact usually fails. Had to buy a (slightly) more expensive cable that worked fine first time. I'll put this one down to experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job no problems, 23 May 2009
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
Purchased this for my Nuvi 200.
Works fine with no connection issues.
Brilliant value for money at just over 1.
Would recommend this to get updates etc as well as to charge your sat nav.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value product with questionable quality control., 10 May 2009
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
A USB cable is an essential for updating your satnav data. (Speed camera information for example)
Like some other reviewers, I have experienced problems with this product. My first one didn't work. However, Decrescent sent me a no quibble repacement by return, and this works fine.
At this price, and with this level of after sales service, bearing in mind that this product costs about 25% of the typical High Street price, it's a no brainer. Buy one along with your Garmin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful but you might already have it without realizing, 26 July 2009
This review is from: Garmin USB/PC Cable for nuvi and Zumo series (Electronics)
Bought this item to connect a Garmin Nüvi to the computer for registration and updates.

However, this cable is the same as the ones used by external hard drives like Western Digital Passport, and also to connect digital cameras.

You might therefore not need it, and would be better checking what cables are already at avail in house before ordering this one.